millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Westworld Thread - Full of Spoilers!

It’s about 1250 post long.

Someone I worked with has just binge watched the whole series and loved it.

I was about to post this on her FB page;

But… I realised that if you haven’t seen ‘City Slickers’ you won’t really get the joke.

And I think it was made about a year before she was born… :confused:

So?

I’m 21 and City Slickers 2 is pure gold.

Gold.

I have the same answer when the show had the topic up…

Roll it back.
If you can roll it back, do it.

How ‘Westworld’ Will Avoid Production Delays in Season 2

HBO’s Westworld made its PaleyFest debut Saturday with the cast and creators of HBO’s futuristic sci-fi drama reflecting on the twists and turns of season one while remaining tight-lipped about any season two details.

The only thing showrunners Lisa Joy and Jonah Nolan did reveal was the show’s plan to avoid production delays that plagued its freshman run. Nolan said that the married duo would write all 10 episodes before production begins on season two. The producers declined to say when production would actually begin. That marks a change from season one.

–SNIP–

Here are a few other highlights from the panel:

• "I’ve been waiting for the message boards on Reddit to tell us! The way we designed and shot it … that is the first decision she has ever made of her own free will," Nolan said when asked if Maeve going back to Westworld to search for her daughter was really a decision the self-aware host made for herself.

• After praising all the actors who played hosts in season one, Harris may have had the best quotes of the night with this thread: "I just don’t want to be naked and I don’t want to wear a samurai suit … and I’m saying that publicly! I’m a Man in Black, not a Man in a samurai suit! Samurais don’t wear hats!"
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/how-westworld-will-avoid-production-delays-season-2-988810

So, the radical solution is to finish writing the show before they start filming it?

That’ll never catch on.

Everybody’s discovering the Millar Method! How sweet! Actually finish a product before selling it? Returning to quality? What a concept!

That’s actually how pretty much all UK TV has always been made, it’s fully written before it films, is fully filmed before it is scheduled. They don’t cancel stuff midway, if it flops its fate is being shifted to some graveyard slot and forgotten about.

Now that model may not work for 24 episodes as was typical in the past but since these shows are now doing 8-13 then there’s no real excuse.

The year I spent working “in TV” (odd term, that) I was on the KTLA lot on Sunset Boulevard* where, among other shows and news, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune taped. (I think they’re at Sony Studios in Culver City now, that’s out by the beach.) I got used to seeing production offices in the lawful chaos mode of tape Date 1 for air Date 2 unless A, B, C or D. That sort of thing. Post-Its were just coming out. Different systems!

• If you watch any old jungle movies, the ‘natives’ often say something that sounds like “Ungawa”. In a bunch of Tarzan films, for sure. They were filmed at the same studio I worked at which is on Sunset … and Gower. Right. “On Gower” turned into Standard Studio African.
    :open_mouth:

Game shows are a very different beast to drama, they film multiple episodes a day I believe (and use changes of clothes to pretend they don’t).

I just read Nolan basically telling @Tom_Punk that his theory about Maeve is wrong.

I still say she was manipulated, but what-have-you.

Jonathan Nolan pretty much said “Tom_Punk from Millarworld is wrong and Maeve exercised free will.”

Precisely. Jeopardy did five on a shooting day, Wheel did four. Wheel had a bigger audience. Wardrobe is a big deal. As a gofer I often made runs to two local tailors and, of course, Western Costume.

Hey @anders - if you don’t know about Western Costume, look it up. Fascinating place!

So that’s one plot thread they’re picking up again.

That was clear enough.
I think many were shocked when it didn’t get any payoff last season.

What kind of payoff were people expecting? His storyline ended exactly how you expected it to, or at least exactly how I expected it to.