millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Some DC fishing. I think these are new listings.

Despite how I feel about the Rotworld crossover which destroyed both books, Lemire’s Animal Man starts and ends really strongly.

I think I’ll sell my singles and pick this up, there’s some brilliant issues.

it’s almost worth buying to see how they manage the magic trick of making five issues fill 168 pages :expressionless:

While there’s some nice OHCs / Omnibuses in there I’ve been hoping for, it’s a pain in the arse DC axed the Batgirl of Burnside Omnibus.

Maybe it’ll be like a comic from the 60’s or 70’s and they’ll just stuff it with reprints. :wink:

I think they could manage it if they kept all the original adverts in. And got someone to write an introduction. A very long introduction. Maybe they could get Bendis to do it “decompressed” style :wink:

Like everything, Amazon’s Canadian site is a bit behind the U.S.

Superman Year One: I just pre-ordered (Nov. 12th)
but why the wait? is this date confirmed? or are you just following unrealistic stupidity?

Saga Compendium One: currently unavailable
How in the f**k is this the first appearance of something on your site?
It wasn’t there and then removed. It’s available on the U.S. site.
“Uh, people are asking, so we made something to click on…”

Coming later this year:

Excellent, I’ll be looking forward to that

Superman vol.1 - The Unity Saga: Phantom Earth HC

I was looking forward to this one, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

While you could joke that Bendis seems to have brought his penchant for wordiness to the DCU given the unwieldy title of this book, it’s actually not indicative of the contents. Because this series sees Bendis show a certain amount of restraint, telling a timeless if fairly simple Superman story in a dynamic way, and not letting his love of naturalistic dialogue and cute asides get in the way. I mean this next comment as a compliment, but a lot of the time I forgot I was reading a Bendis book at all.

That wasn’t true for the Man Of Steel mini, which felt more familiar to me, more in line with Bendis’ Marvel habits in the way it was written. But here it feels like there’s a willingness to keep words out of the way of the more visual-oriented storytelling where necessary, and with Ivan Reis as artist Bendis is paired with someone who can bring his story to life with real flair.

With a lesser artist this story wouldn’t be anywhere near as good: Rogol Zaar, returning from the Man Of Steel mini, is still not a very interesting antagonist, and there isn’t much depth to him or the larger plot here - so the brutish threat he poses to Superman needs a decent artist to make us interested and to make his character enjoyable in a visually-exciting way.

But Reis turns in some great visuals, including a climactic sixth issue that evokes Superman’s classic Doomsday fight with a series of several full-double-page-splash images for a big battle sequence.

Several pages of this could get boring under other artists, but Reis switches things up nicely to keep things interesting.

There are other great splashpages earlier in the book too, and they all really help to sell the epic, blockbuster scale that Bendis is aiming for with his story, which sees the entire Earth get sucked into the Phantom Zone.

That’s not to say there aren’t some great smaller moments too. Bendis writes some fun exchanges (an early conversation with Martian Manhunter which sees Superman constantly interrupted by crises to attend to is a highlight), and some of the more tender scenes where Clark is reminiscing about Lois and his family are a great example of the book switching gears and offering something more low-key and subtle. And there’s also a certain amount of nuance in the way Clark’s facial expressions throughout the story often tell us much more about his mindset and his inner thoughts than anything that’s being conveyed by Bendis’ words.

The truth is, though, that (despite that cover blurb about the “bespectacled reporter”) there isn’t actually very much Clark Kent here: it’s mostly Superman dealing with a large-scale threat that only Superman can deal with, so the balance feels slightly off in terms of his secret identity getting a bit shut out.

Another weakness of the story is that it’s a bit repetitive, with not much variety in how the action scenes play out - which makes the tease of a deliberately frustratingly-timed interruption in the final chapter even more of a kicker, robbing the arc of any real conclusive payoff just as you’re getting stuck into what promises to be the finale of the big ongoing fight.

Still, it’s a fun story while you’re in the moment reading it, and Bendis captures the essential humanity and goodness of Superman very well - several times I caught myself with a big smile across my face, and I’m not even that much of a Superman fan.

Hopefully it will serve as a solid building block for a run that goes on to even better things.

As for the book itself, it’s fairly no-frills - a standard-sized HC with no extras except for a bunch of variant covers in the back (many of which are great pieces of cover art, especially the ones by David Mack). It might have been nice to get some kind of insight into the story from Bendis or some art extras showing off Reis’ work, but never mind.

Great review Dave and I think you sell the book for what it is.

I’ve really enjoyed what Bendis is doing with Superman, and I still am.
You’ll see a lot more of Clarke in Action Comics, which is more Clarke focussed than this, so I think it’s somewhat deliberate a split by Bendis.

On the subject of Mack, I really highly recommend the Cover series. The 6th issue was out this week and I think the collection is out very soon.

I’ve loved it, Mack being a big component of that.

Thanks Chris!

I think I remember hearing that from the chat in the New Comics thread. That collection is on the way next month so I’ll definitely be picking that up too.

I mean to check out Cover (as well as Bendis’ other creator-owned stuff since moving to DC) once the collection is out. Good to hear it’s worth it, I love Mack’s art.

I really love that book especially the issue that is mostly DPS’s. I’m actually a little disappointed that we don’t know more about Rogol Zaar. It seems like they’re being oddly obtuse about his origins and motivations despite hinting at them in solicitations and early interviews.

This arrived.

It’s a very nice edition, exactly the same format and dimensions as the old 300 hardcover.

Miller’s art looks really great in these dimensions.

It’s especially good for the full-page images that were spread across two pages in the original issues.

I’m looking forward to rereading it again as I think the pacing problems I had in singles won’t be so severe when it’s all read through together.

300 and Marvelocity are the 2 books I’m allowed out as a coffee table books as they don’t fit the flipping book shelf. Sindy hasn’t glanced through 300 yet :rofl:

Hmm, you might have just convinced me - how does the series hold up as a whole?

Silver Surfer Omnibus

We’ve talked a lot about Marvel’s comic woes elsewhere. The solution? It’s right here. This is everything they should be doing - writer + artist + colourist + inker + editor = comic. That’s it. Sure, there is a line-wide event, Secret Wars, slap bang in the middle of this run - how could there not be? It’s Marvel, but even there Slott uses it for his story’s benefit rather than the reverse.

And the story itself? Utter brilliance. I can well understand a certain cynicism around superhero relationships. If they get married, divorce is sure to follow, or death - if one writer sets it up, another will likely knock it down, but not here. No, here Slott and the Allreds set up and follow through all the way to the very end. It doesn’t cheat the reader, instead delivering a very emotionally satisfying finale.

And the art? No surprise to anyone it’s superb, all 30 consecutive issues of it! Yep, they hit the chapters out, time and again.

It was good reading Slott’s work as, due to him being exclusively on Spiderman for the last decade, I haven’t been able to. Reading this reminded me of what drew me to his writing in the first place.

Details on some of those DC HCs from the solicits:

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS BOX SET
written by MARV WOLFMAN, GARDNER FOX, ROY THOMAS, GERRY CONWAY and others
art by GEORGE PEREZ, MIKE SEKOWSKY, DICK DILLIN, TODD McFARLANE and others
box art by NICOLA SCOTT and JERRY ORDWAY
Since the Justice League of America first met their Earth-2 counterparts, the Justice Society of America, the concept of a world-shaking “Crisis” has been a defining part of DC history. Now, for the first time, DC packs one incredible box set with every Crisis tale leading up to and including the industry defining CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! This box set combines six previously existing CRISIS collected editions, printed for the first time in hardcover, with eight new CRISIS hardcover collections that spotlight the most important heroes of the 1980s CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS!
Join the Justice League, the Justice Society, the All-Star Squadron, Infinity Inc., Superman, Green Lantern and countless other heroes as they give their all to save the DC Universe!
This box set includes these hardcovers:
• CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS VOL. 1 HC
Collects JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #21-22, 29-30, 37-38 and 46-47
• CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS VOL. 2 HC
Collects JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #55-56, 64-65, 73-74 and 82-83
• CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS VOL. 3 HC
Collects JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #91-92, 100-102, 107-108 and 113
• CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS VOL. 4 HC
Collects JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #123-124, 135-137 and 147-148
• CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS VOL. 5 HC
Collects JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #159-160, 171-172 and 183-185
• CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS VOL. 6 HC
Collects JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #195-197, 207-209 and ALL-STAR SQUADRON #14-15
• CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS HC
Collects CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #1-12
• CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: ALL-STAR SQUADRON HC
This new title collects ALL-STAR SQUADRON #50-60
• CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: GREEN LANTERN HC
This new title collects GREEN LANTERN #194-198, THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #16 and 18 and THE OMEGA MEN #31 and 33
• CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: JUSTICE LEAGUE HC
This new title collects THE FURY OF FIRESTORM #41-42, DETECTIVE COMICS #558, WONDER WOMAN #327-329 and THE NEW TEEN TITANS #13-14
• CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: LEGENDS HC
This new title collects THE LOSERS SPECIAL #1, SWAMP THING #44 and 46, LEGENDS OF THE DC UNIVERSE: CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #1, BLUE DEVIL #17-18 and AMETHYST #13
• CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: INFINITY, INC. HC
This new title collects INFINITY, INC. #18-25, INFINITY, INC. ANNUAL #1 and JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #244-245
• CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: SUPERMAN HC
This new title collects DC COMICS PRESENTS #78, 86-88 and 94-95, SUPERMAN #413-415 and JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA ANNUAL #3
• CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: BEHIND THE CRISIS
This new title collects THE HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE #1-2, pre-Crisis appearances of the Monitor, behind-the-scenes material and more
ON SALE 11.06.19
$500.00 US | FC
DIMENSIONS: APPROX. 12.5” high x 13.5” wide x 8” deep
WEIGHT: APPROX. 28 lbs.

• Dimensions and weight subject to change
    ISBN: 978-1-4012-9517-2
    ART NOT FINAL

ABSOLUTE DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE HC
written by FRANK MILLER and BRIAN AZZARELLO
art by ANDY KUBERT, KLAUS JANSON, FRANK MILLER, JOHN ROMITA JR., EDUARDO RISSO and PETER STEIGERWALD
cover by ANDY KUBERT
One of the most highly anticipated sequels of all time is collected in a new Absolute edition! In a world gone awry, left in the aftermath of the toppling of Lex Luthor and the apparent death of Batman himself, who will save Gotham City and the rest of the planet from the mysterious Master Race? This Absolute edition includes the entire nine-issue series with each issue’s minicomic presented at the same size.
Includes DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE #1-9, including the insert comics reproduced at the same size as the main comics, plus THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS: THE LAST CRUSADE #1.
ON SALE 12.04.19
$125.00 US | 624 PAGES
FC | 8.25” x 12.5”
ISBN: 978-1-4012-9962-0

Y: THE LAST MAN OMNIBUS HC
written by BRIAN K. VAUGHAN
art by PIA GUERRA, JOSE MARZAN JR., GORAN PARLOV, PAUL CHADWICK and GORAN SUDZUKA
cover by J.G. JONES
The entire Eisner Award-winning 60-issue run of Y: THE LAST MAN is collected in a single omnibus edition! This is the saga of Yorick Brown, the only survivor of a plague that kills every mammal with a Y chromosome. Accompanied by his pet monkey, Ampersand, a mysterious government agent and a brilliant young geneticist, Yorick travels the world in search of his lost love and the answer to why he’s the last man on earth.
ON SALE 12.11.19
$150.00 US | 1,440 PAGES
FC | 7.0625” x 10.875”
MATURE READERS
ISBN: 978-1-4012-9815-9

Eh? Why not?

Well, there was this little infamous story called One More Day some time back…

So that’s the entire run, all in one volume? I missed the whole thing back when it came out. Maybe I should pick this up.
Is there any backmatter?