millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

It is.

Thanks for posting about the update, there’s a whole pile of cool stuff there for me:

Sept:

• Lazarus OHC3
  • Port of Earth Volume 3
  • Farmhand Volume 2
  • Assassin Nation Volume 1

Oct:

• Gideon Falls Volume 3

Nov - is going to be expensive:

• Kill or be Killed OHC
  • Sharkey The Bounty Hunter Volume 1
  • Walking Dead Omnibus 8
  • Kick Ass Volume 3
  • Analog Volume 2 - Might try the first now I know there’s continuation

Dec:

• Rumble Volume 6
  • Outer Darkness Volume 2 - Like Analog, might give the first one a try in May

Little bit more Amazon fishing

Marvels 25th Anniversary HC

Savage Sword of Conan Omnibus 2

Ghostbusters 35th Anniversary special - featuring stories starring the original team, the Real Ghosbusters, the Extreme Ghostbusters and the Feig team.

Transformers The IDW Collection Phase 2 volume 10 - I’ll be honest, given all the other series IDW has quietly dropped, I’m surprised they’re carrying on with these (I know they mentioned on bookseller data that this phase is a 12 volume run, which would go up to Revolution. I wouldn’t hold my breath for a Phase 3 set).

I wish IDW would just give the Roberts series the OHC treatment. I’m not interested in having it interspersed with Robots in Disguise! That series was…ok, but nowhere near the genius of MTMTE or Lost Light.

Agreed. I’d have been ok with RiD in there even, but they threw in all the extraneous stuff like Autocracy.

Quick reads:

Rumble Volume 5

I’m never entirely sure where this story is going, as like BPRD, it has this gloriously off-kilter feel to it. As it’s Arcudi though, it rattles along neatly and is always entertaining.

The Lost City Explorers Volume 1

I’m really liking Kaplan as an author of straight-forward, fun stories that aim for being entertaining first. This is set in a different genre to his other works, the hidden world type story - so, Atlantis. Art is OK across the five issues, the one twist that I’m not convinced by is at the end with the heroes teaming up with the dodgy corporation that tried to legally bury them, following up with an actual hit squad, but maybe he’ll make it work. In any case, another good comic from Aftershock.

Farmhard: Volume 1

Apart from reminding me I really need to get around to finishing Chew, this was a very pleasant surprise. True, the story is insane and fucked-up, but it’s also very, very fun and it’s Guillory’s style that makes it all work. It flits between serious, family dramas, black ‘n’ bleak humour, local politics and mad science and, somehow, it all fits. Looking forward to Volume 2 in a few months now.

I really miss Harren’s art on Rumble.

Seems Titan have, over the last year, worked out that there actually was a market for translated euro-material, presented in OHC form, as they’ve issued a bit of material - the bulk seems to be stuff by Nury:

• Death of Stalin
  • Death to the Tsar

They’ve also issued two Tyler Moore volumes by Nury-Bruno that I’m about to get to and the one I just read:

Babylon Berlin

I can’t say how good of an adaptation of the novel this is, but as a comic? It was pretty good, although I got it at a bargain price of just under £7 for a RRP £21.99 item.

Set in Germany in 1929, it revolves around a hunt for Russian gold missing since the revolution, with Nazi and Communist factions after it. Added into this are local, police and personal politics and a lead character with a real affinity for dropping himself into deep shit.

It all runs along neatly, Rath is quite the flawed character but I was always hooked enough to see how it played out.

Anyone here read any of the more recent (Carol Danvers as) Captain Marvel books? Any recommendations? ComiXology is doing a sale right now and I had considered picking something up that might be representative.

Was considering this one.

The TV show of Babylon Berlin is worth a watch too.

Any of the streamers already got that?

This one:

It’s drawn by Jim Mooney, who for me was the definitive Supergirl artist. And written by Chris Claremont, who was noted for his strong female characters.

So basically, it’s not likely to be bettered.

Meh

Sky Atlantic have it here; I think Netflix have it in most of the rest of the world.

Rats. Thanks, have seen there’s a DVD release too.

Continuing with crime, both of these can be got for under £13, at that price they are very nice OHC volumes.

Tyler Cross: Black Rock

These stories are set in the 50s and the closest they are similar to are the Parker stories. Like Parker, Cross is a cold, cold bastard living in a cold, cold world and he’s perfectly fine with that.

So yeah, if you want, you could dub both books ‘Euro-Noir’, as they take bits and pieces of the crime and noir genres and fuse with a Euro take on them.

Bruno’s art is quite superb and shows that you don’t need literal imagery to tell a story, if that were so then in the art, Tyler frequently has no mouth! But for the story-telling, that doesn’t matter.

This one is a drug deal gone wrong, Tyler ends up at Black Rock, a town ran by a family of psychopaths, headed by a rapist patriarch. Needless to say, it all blows up from there.

Tyler Cross: Angola

This one is a bit different as it’s a ‘go into prison for a risk-free job’, which is complete bollocks. The story then is how Tyler gets out of it and then enacts revenge on his enemies.

Both books are colour, but Bruno opts for a limited colour set. Again, a similarity to the way Darwyn Cooke adapted the Parker stories.

Suffice to say there was some very fitting fates doled out.

There’s a third volume still to be translated, hopefully it’ll happen.

Dreaming Eagles OHC

You might think that, after all the war stories he has written, Garth Ennis might actually be done with the genre, that he’s simply ran out of things to say. Wrong. Here, Ennis finds a very different take on World War Two and combines with a very smart story structure - a framing sequence set in the 60s with the civil rights protests kicking off and a WW2 veteran father fears for his son’s safety in it all. The final resolution to that dilemma is very satisfying both emotionally and intellectually.

Across six issues, the story of a black fighter squadron in various theatres of operation in World War 2 spins out, with all the domestic adversaries and hatred they stood contrasted against the Nazis they went to war against. As usual, Ennis pulls no punches, this is not a glamourised tale of derring-do, yet that doesn’t mean it isn’t heroic - for it certainly is. Ennis explains in an afterword that he rarely features actual people in his war stories, but in this one he simply couldn’t do it due to this fellow:

Davis is who leads and protects the squadron. He’s not the best pilot but he doesn’t have to be - its David who keeps an eye on everything going on, who heads off institutional enemies before they get too close, who eventually gets his pilots the P-51 Mustang that actually allows them to really take on the enemy. Some other real-life figues, supportive and less so, also feature.

Yet, for all the war story impresses, it is the final pages, where we find out what happened after being demobbed and the talk between father and son on the state of the US. It is particularly effective given the last three years since it was written. In this respect Ennis’ hopes for the US are overshadowed by the recent regressions.

Any artist who takes on a job with Ennis, on a war story, must know what they are in for. It won’t be an easy job but it’ll probably result in some of their best work ever. So it proves, take a look at this:

I wasn’t that happy with Aftershock issuing this an OHC - it looked like a cash grab, trading on Ennis’ name to pull it off. However, if bought for around £16 online, it’s a good value package and an excellent quality hardback that really allows Coleby’s art to shine.

EDIT: Couple more:

World of Tanks: Citadel

It’d be fair to say this is your more usual Ennis war story - moments of seriousness and horror, combined with gross-out humour, but for all that it is a bit formulaic, the formula works. This isn’t anywhere Dreaming Eagles but it’s entertaining enough.

Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites

My thanks to @sammm , whose enthusiasm for a new series suggested I ought to take a look at it. A quick look online showed a book that combined animals and horror with gorgeous, watercolour art so that was that. Pretty much had to bag it, I mean look at it:

I really enjoyed this, so it’s quite neat that there’s a couple of hardbacks due later in the year that continues this series.

Edit 2: A final trio:

Empowered & Sistah Spooky’s High School Hell

This starts off quite strong - the joke of an Infernal Service Provider being the new name for demons never gets old, but as it goes on it loses steam. The creators seem to be aware of this too, as towards the end the duo somehow get out of a death trap and it’s never revealed how. Similarly, after a while the various mental and emotional tortures based on US high school’s utterly fucked up society structures become hollow. It’s good, but Warren’s often far better than simply good.

The Damned: Volume 3

For the most part I don’t follow much of Cullen Bunn’s work, some of it works, some doesn’t but I don’t tend to seek it out. Pair him up with Brian Hurrt however and it all changes. These two work together brilliantly and become a collaborative pairing to rival the best in comics. This continues the gangster / horror fusion set in the 1930s, all of it depicted with Hurrt’s excellent art.

Witchfinder: Volume 5: The Gates of Heaven

That this had D’Israeli on the art was a very welcome surprise as he’s always excellent. The story itself is another great addition to the Mignolaverse.

Usagi Yojimbo - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Complete Collection
I’d been a bit hesitant to pick this up, as it’s mostly material I’ve already got in the Saga trades. But, with Dark Horse’s loss of UY, I snapped it up before it goes OOP.

And yes, it’s mostly material that you’ll have already if you’ve got the Sagas and Fantagraphics trades. There’s an old Peter Laird Usagi-Leo cross-over story that’s not been collected before, AFAIK, but beyond that it’s the two Usagi-Leo shorts by Sakai, the first three issues of the Mirage Usagi volume and the new cross-over. Which is actually a bit odd.

First off, I could have sworn it was a mini-series, but it’s actually just a 40 page one-shot, with a fairly straightforward plot. There’s as much back matter for it (raw pencils, inks, variant covers) as there is story. It’s a little disappointing on that front. The other oddity is that it has Turtles from a different continuity to previous cross-overs, which makes putting them together feel a little moot. I assume they’re from IDW’s current continuity, but I was under the assumption that followed the original Mirage stuff.

The story really feels like IDW auditioning for Sakai though. The story’s fully coloured, which they’ll be doing for Usagi when it moves over. There are two collections for this cross-over: this paperback by Dark Horse and a 72 page HC by IDW that is just the one-shot and some of its extras. It’s ironic that this one is by Dark Horse, as the volume ends up feeling like it’s of more use to a TMNT fan that’s not read any Usagi before, which is surely the angle IDW want to be coming from with it.

In all, it’s a nice volume - one I’ll be pushing on my Turtles reading brother for sure - but as an Usagi reader, I think it could have happily just had its new content included in a Saga trade (which this is designed to sit with) instead of being a stand alone product.

You should give his Harrow County series (from Dark Horse) a try, with art from Tyler Crook. Very understated horror story with lots of emphasis on characterization, not just for the protagonists but for the baddies too.

Always been tempted to try that; Crook’s art impressed me on BPRD.

I’ve got the first Library edition on the shelf but an waiting until the other 3 are out.

Oh and @Vikram, it’s a really nice edition.

Is it of a higher standard than Cold Spots and his Marvel & DC work?
I haven’t read 6th Gun, which I understand is highly regarded.

I really like horror books but I have not enjoyed anything I’ve read by Bunn, hence why I have never tried Harrow County