millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

I read it a good few years ago and don’t really recall anything too mean. Is this because he called Watchmen a bit rubbish instead of the greatest comic ever?

Your memory may not be the greatest. :wink:

It was more the way he kept mentioning how ‘lucrative’ some of his opportunities had been. It felt a bit like he had something to prove.

Those were the bits I found most interesting, actually. A peak behind the curtain that you don’t really read or hear about in the comics press.

Audio booK was brilliant

Especially if you can’t read?

I like fish perfectly fine thank you Robert

Diamond’s top 10 graphic novels/collections for 2018.

1. The Infinity Gauntlet (Marvel Entertainment)
2. Saga Vol. 9 (Image Comics)
3. Saga Vol. 1 (Image Comics)
4. Saga Vol. 8 (Image Comics)
5. Action Comics: 80 Years of Superman (DC Entertainment)
6. The Walking Dead Vol. 9: Lines We Cross (Image Comics)
7. Paper Girls Vol. 1 (Image Comics)
8. Batman: White Knight (DC Entertainment)
9. Dark Nights: Metal Deluxe Edition (DC Entertainment)
10. Monstress Vol. 1 (Image Comics)

Interesting to see Brian K Vaughn with four books on the list.

It’s a completely different market in many senses. There’s stuff in the trades market that sells and sells and barely makes a ripple on the monthly charts.

Like @ChrisS was talking about the Sandman spinoffs. They sell like shit in the Diamond floppy charts, as all Vertigo has beyond Fables for more than a decade, but with the Gaiman link may very well do fine in the bookshops. Out of that list only Metal was near any top position this year and Diamond collections charts are really just the direct market where they sell a fraction of their volume.

If you look at Bookscan who handle 70% of US and Canada book sales it diverges even more. There’s not a single book there that was a big hit in the regular monthly Diamond charts. Saga is now down to 43rd best seller there with the last issue. You have to go to 17th to find the Walking Dead to see any crossover at all.

Just read these two this morning. Really good stuff. Small bite sized sub plots in an ongoing coming of age arc. Anyone know if a third volume is planned?

I notice you are using smile.amazon.com. Good for you. I have been using it for a couple of years now. I think it is a great idea.

Me too. It also allows me to donate more (even if it’s only a small amount) to the MS Society.

I volunteer at a local Veterans charity and that is the one I set up to get my donations

Very cool.

There was six years between the first two books, so it might take a while if there is a third.

You wouldnt Fing beleive it.
Looked up the preview for the first issue of monstress only to see first page a young imprisoned girtl with an amputated left arm.

The lead in one of the stories I’ve been working on for 4 bloody years has an artificial left arm.
I think im going to lay down and cry for a bit.

I’m sure it’s not something that will ruin your book’s chances, even if it is a key part of the story. The writing and characterisation will help set it apart. There have been plenty of characters with artificial limbs and lots of different stories told about them.

Your completley right Dave.
I just find it funny that this and a couple of other books I picked up recently have similar elements to what Im planning.
Its not the be all and end all and it wasnt even going to be used as a plot device it was just a nice touch that was going to be used in a positive manner.

I’m just venting.
Ho hum, c’est la vie

I think as soon as you start writing your own stories you start to become very aware of similar ideas cropping up in the work of others. It can be frustrating, especially when you feel like it’s something original that would have helped set your story apart. But I hope you don’t let it get you down too much.

Nah it’s all good. Firing on all cylinders soon. June will hopefully be a very big month😉