millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

For those considering it, Flintstones Volume 1 went back down to £7.15 over at BooksEtc.

One I’ll be keeping an eye out for in mid-March is this:

Looks to be an 72-page OHC by Ennis and Burns. I won’t pay £17.99 for it, but if I see it going between £10-11? Oh yeah.

Oh brilliant - first I’ve heard of that an I’m glad it’s straight to OHC

I wish all established creators just went to this model to stop me double dipping on stuff

I loved picking up All My Heroes Are Junkies as an original hardcover, rather than the usual ‘wait for trade?’ Dilemma

Happy for superhero books to continue to be released as periodicals but by now I’d prefer the likes of image to just run trades only and ditch the single issues

Same here, I was searching Amazon and stumbled on it and dimensions say it’s OHC too.

Batman & Robin Omnibus

With the Super Sons Omnibus on the pile downstairs, now felt the right time to work my way through this 1,200 page behemoth of a book.

To say it has quite the reputation on MW would be an understatement, does it live up to it? Pretty much. To do a major Batman run in the shadow of - and to respond to - both the end of Morrison and start of Synder’s Bat-epics is one hell of an achievement. That it also carves out its own space apart from those two even more so. It only falters at one point and that’s in response to the Death of the Family arc. Who on earth thought it was a good idea to render the Joker as the Reaver 'fuckin Cleaver, complete with stapled on, carved off face, I have no clue. So I was never going to like those issues. On the other hand, it takes one of what I still consider to be one of Morrison’s nastiest moves in killing Damian and uses it to trigger an amazing arc.

The early stories, pre-death, are very effective. The idea that Zsaz has a brother who his depraved activities warps in turn, with that brother deciding to go after the relatives of Arkham inmates is one of those deceptively simple and elegant concepts that you can’t quite buy that no one has already done it, yet it is so. The arc with Nobody that follows is again well-executed but it’s in the aftermath of Damian’s death that the book shifts into high gear. #18 is an entirely silent issue. Unless you’ve a creative team that knows exactly what they are doing, silent issues are murder to pull off; even if you have the creative team, an entirely silent sequence of 20 odd pages is still very hard to successfully execute. This lot do it.

What follows is a five issue arc as Batman works his way through the five stages of grief, eventually - and after an awful lot of detours - accepting that Damian is dead. At that point the book plays another ace - Ra’s has nicked the corpses and Bats just ain’t having that. What follows is a chase around the globe that takes full advantage of the wider DC mythos, weaving in guest appearances and nods to other books, in a very skillful manner. And then, when you think it can’t go any further - the coffin heads to Apokolips! This is answered with Batman literally invading hell to get Damian’s body back, as along the way, he saw a means to resurrect him. It’s a barmy, gonzo and incredibly fun tale. Sure, you could just dismiss it as a resurrection arc and it is, but it has to be in the running for best ever. Damian’s death isn’t stripped of its meaning, he was still mourned, he was still missed and then, only much, much later got back.

The final piece of the story, where it is revealed that Damian has gained superpowers - that turn out to be time-limited - makes a fun finale and the final page is perfect.

Even in the grief issues where Batman is far more Batdick, even there Tomasi gets the balance right in not going too far. There’s also a neat follow-up to the encounter with Frankenstein that is very unusual, I mean how many times has Batman ever apologised? For anything? It’s rare, but it fits and it works. Similarly, Batman’s vengeance on the super-snipers, of taking them out by permanently crippling their hands is a great illustration of how to do a fate worse than death.

Gleason isn’t on all of the issues, but he’s done the great majority of them and it’s page after page of excellent work.

Binding and presentation is also excellent. This is a big, heavy book, but the curve of the pages to the spine never obscures the story and it never feels like it’ll fall apart under the strain.

Great review Ben, I read this as it came out and I found it to be very emotional and at times a superb companion piece to what was going on in Morrison’s main run - even at times eclipsing it - and Morrison’s run remains my favourite of all time, having read most issues of Detective and Batman and various other Bat-series since the mid 80s.

Batman has had a really strong line for such a long time now and Tomasi is a big part of that.

He’s also made a promising start on his new Detective Comics run, so it bodes well for us getting another great entry into the bat legacy from him over 2019 and hopefully beyond.

David Finch if I recall correctly, probably wisely moved back to mainly art chores nowadays.

Wasn’t that Scott Snyder?

It was Tony Daniel:

The final reads of 2018:

A&A: The Adventures of Archer and Armstrong OHC

It takes a fair bit of confidence to want to do a book that has to contend with a very successful predecessor run by Van Lente. As it happens this Rafer Roberts guy isn’t lacking confidence and proves it by spinning a zany, 12-issue epic that’s every bit a worthy successor to the Van Lente run.

If taken seriously, the entire story is pretty much appalling, but so too is a lot of comedy if taken seriously. It doesn’t work if it is because it’s not designed to be. Besides how can you be treating a story seriously that starts with a bag of infinite depth holding numerous bottles of booze, the God of Parties, a few demons and lots of other stuff? Precisely. This is a book to read lightly, to enjoy the ride and not take too seriously.

While the art is split between La Fuente and Norton, it is the latter who does the bulk of the work. It’s a shame there is not more from La Fuente on this series, he’s an excellent artist but hasn’t done that much. Norton in contrast has done quite a bit and really shows how he can change his style to fit the story. This is a world away from the horror of Revival and very different but is very, very good.

The Spirit: The Corpse Makers HC

When a Spirit book has on the first page ‘to Will and Darwyn’ that’s when you know it’s doing it right. For a time I had considered this to be akin to Perez’ Sirens and Cho’s Skybourne, a writer-artist work that’s doomed to remain incomplete. It’s quite neat then that, like those books, this collection finally came out. If a book is to stay on my hit list in the face of many delays, it has to have something special - in the case of writer-artists it is who it is. Francavilla is someone whose work I’ve enjoyed from Zorro onwards, he’s someone worth keeping an eye on and so it proves here.

Don’t believe me?

The book is full of this flowing, kinetic art that encourages you to go from page to page, chapter and chapter. True, it’s not that innovative a work but it doesn’t have to be to be very entertaining and this really is.

Marney the Fox HC

I’ve had this on the to-read pile for months, but it’s a big, dense book and I haven’t had the time until now to enjoy it.

Published 1974-1976 in Buster, in 2-page episodes, it’s a very accomplished piece of work. Each of the stories flows excellently from piece to piece, the ingredients are similar from story to story but each time a new combination is found. And as for the art…

A big, top notch oversized hardback with quality paper to show off the imagery, it’s an excellent collection. That this material will be finding a new audience over 40 years later is great.

Cheers Paul, I accused the wrong ‘artist turned writer’ experiment of the Nu52 but the same narrative stands. :smile:

Great reviews, Ben. I need to check out that Spirit book.

Who has the balls to say that isn’t the final cover?

Super Sons Omnibus

This book shouldn’t exist. It has the one element corporate superheroes rarely ever really recognise - time passing, change, life and death. It was those aspects DC embraced with Rebirth and this book is an excellent example of it. Just the idea of following through on giving Batman and Superman kids would give most writers nightmares - Tomasi? Naw, though his intro where he covers the difficulty of how to start it running is well worth a read.

Having read this volume also makes me more positively inclined towards the Bendis run on the Super books and the changes it makes, as the kids have had their time in the spotlight, with this collection of stories.

There’s a neat ref to Tynion’s 'Tec run, which I’ll get to in April when the final OHC comes out, with the Titans of Tomorrow arc. There’s even a Super-Pets story, yes, really.

All in all? It’s a great collection, one that knows when to be fun and when to be serious, but never goes too serious or too dark.

I’m looking to dump a vast majority of my trades in the coming months, as I don’t think I’ll read them again, I don’t think my kids will be interested, and they just take up space. Does stuff like you see in this photo have any value? A lot of odds and sods from the 00s. I have a lot more but this fairly reflective of what I will be purging.

Worth just having a look at the prices on Amazon Marketplace. Trades generally hold their value quite well and even stuff that’s been superceded by more complete editions (Under Siege for instance) will likely still sell.

Yeah, it’s impossible to know - some books get price hikes because they were underprinted or went OOP quickly, while others even in the same series can be got for pennies. You really have to look up what each individual book is going for.

I think ebay is a more reliable guide than Amazon though, as you can set an Amazon Marketplace price as high as you want - it doesn’t mean people will pay it. Ebay at least lets you view actual sales from the recent past.

Looking at that stack now…Under Seige, Madbomb, and Ultimates 2. Future generations will never believe Captain America was once as cool as he is in those books. Maybe I’ll keep them. (And I actually should reread Secret Six, ha)

Silver Surfer Requiem generally goes for 2 or 3 times it’s cover price.

I’ve used Amazon Marketplace and, as has been said, it varies massively.

If someone’s being an idiot and setting a sky-high price for an OOP trade, listing for way below it but about 2-3 times full RRP will get you a sale.

Also watch out for under-pricing and condition notes - Amazon pulls some shady stuff by considering Used as one group, despite it having five subsets. People will pay for ‘used as new’ at a decent level.

Finally, there’s no pattern as to what sells when.

I’ve had a lot of joy selling trades on eBay. Especially with the USPS flat-rate box.

You should indeed reread Simone’s Secret Six! It’s great comics.

I know what you mean about ditching them, though. I used to reread my trades nonstop, but I read comics on MU and Comixology Unlimited now, and there are just so many titles on both apps that I have never read that I rarely reread anything anymore. Still, I can’t bring myself to part with most of the books I still have (do I really need all my Exterminators trades? Or Batman: Face the Face?)