millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles.

How in the hell did this book get commissioned? It’s a B-list Hanna Barbera kids comedy pink lion character in a tale about the cold war, McCarthyism and the experience of closeted gay men in the 1950s. Who is the intended audience for this stuff? Well in this case it includes me.

This is quite brilliant and one of the best comics of the year. It’s funny, poignant, touching and insightful. I loved Mark Russell’s Flintstones book with its biting satire and I think this is even better, while that touched on things in an ‘issue of the week’ style this tells pretty much the life story of playwright and wit Snagglepuss (based on Tennessee Williams with a bit of Oscar Wilde thrown in) and his childhood friend, anguished novelist Huckleberry Hound.

I don’t know how these books sell. I can’t imagine it is huge amounts but I hope it’s enough that they can let Russell do more of this social commentary via the proxy of cartoon characters from 40-50 years ago. I’ll be buying anyway.

Digital Comics

After all the recommends here I feel like I have to check this out.

I had forgotten about this entirely. Bugger, the Trades thread strikes again.

And for £7.15.

Looks like I made two sales. If only this thread could come with commission.

I’ve stuck it on my Comixology wishlist - it’s a DC trade so bound to be down to £2.99 before long.

Daredevil Epic Collection: Fall From Grace

This was the first DD epic released but for some reason, it’s RRP was $5 higher than all the others, so it’s taken a few years for me to get hold of a copy at a decent price.

It was not worth the wait.

It’s incredibly rare for me to not read all of a comic I buy. Ones borrowed from the library, I’ll bail on quite happily if I’m not enjoying them, but if I’ve put down money for it, I generally stick it out to the end. even if I immediately go and list it on for sale somewhere. I couldn’t bear to finish this. I wasn’t expecting it to be particularly good - it’s mid-90s Marvel after all - but while a lot of that era is bad, it’s usually at least interestingly bad. This is just dreck on every level.

The volume consists of two large story arcs, the eponymous Fall From Grace and then Tree Of Knowledge, split by an annual. When an annual by no-name guest creators is better than the main series, you know you’re in serious trouble.

DG Chichester’s story is crap, basically. Fall From Grave has a really convoluted set-up - some super-secret part of the Hand includes or has recruited a former US general who, decades ago, created a psychic virus which can change someone’s body based on their whims, but it was lost and the key to finding it is a psychic homeless man. The Hand want it because they’ve revived Elektra, sort of, but need to use the virus to make her whole, because she’s just the evil impulses of Elektra at the moment, which is bad because… I don’t know. Anyway, there’s only really about two or three issues worth of plot to Fall From Grace, but it gets stretched to 7 issues, mainly through gratuitous guest appearances. As Daredevil and the Hand both hunt for the homeless guy and the virus, various other characters pop up to get in the way for a bit and add not much to the story - Silver Sable, Venom, Morbius, some SHIELD cyborg guy (Siege?). I’d accuse it of being a promotional stunt, but I can’t see how any of them other than Venom would drive sales.

During this story, Daredevil gets his 90s black armour costume. It is not only incidental to the story, it’s barely acknowledged by it. His usual costume gets a bit shredded and then he starts wearing the new one completely without fanfare or comment and the only explanation being some obtuse quotations from technical descriptions of “mimetic fabric” and a few panels of Daredevil stealing the materials from some rats, I think? For such a big change, it’s really muted.

Narrative clarity is in short supply here, as Chichester’s awful story is illustrated by Scott McDaniel. I’m familiar with McDaniel from his work on Nightwing, a few years later, which is a bit ugly at times and not brilliant at story telling in places, but not that bad generally. Here it is almost impenetrable. It is frequently impossible to tell who anyone is, what’s going on and where they even are. The panel lay-outs are abstract for the most part, the visual clarity is obliterated by high contrast shadows, the story telling is pretty much absent and his take on visualising radar sense is the worst I’ve ever seen. Daredevil gets his new costume, but you don’t really get a clear look at it until it’s drawn by someone else in the annual (where it looks ok, actually).

McDaniel’s work is the kind that needs a strong writer to smooth over the gaps in (or complete lack of) story-telling, but Chichester is not that writer. As well as his plotting being bad, his scripting is worse, compounding all the problems in the art. This isn’t helped by a really strange disconnect between issues. One issue ends on a cliffhanger of Daredevil and Siege standing off about to fight each other, Siege threatening to kill DD. The next issue picks up with, well, this:

They’re working together to save some Hand guy that’s suddenly defected to their side with no explanation! I thought this would be an in medias res thing, with a flashback to show the Hand guy defecting or at least Siege and Daredevil teaming up, but nope. That is just completely skipped over. Every issue break feels like Chichester’s continued the story in his own head and the next issue is picking up where he got to, not where the last issue left off.

What’s incredible to me is that Marvel surely knew this of these problems when they published the story, because they had extra pages made for the contemporary trade edition and those don’t even actually solve any of the problems!

The second arc, Tree Of Knowledge fares no better. I had hoped that the convoluted nature of Fall From Grace had affected the writing and art and that with a new story, it’d settle down into a better rhythm, but it doesn’t. Instead we get Chichester doing a story about internet hacker villains. In 1994. I applaud his forward thinking, but seeing a character called “Sinclair Spectrum” work with “Kill-O-Byte” and a bunch of what was even then terrible stereotypes to hack the “information highway” doesn’t have enough kitsch charm to work, especially with the obtuse art and scripting. I bailed on the second issue, but flicked forward to see yet more gratuitous cameos in the six issues it covers

This has put me in a odd position. I’ve been aiming for completism on the Epic Collection - for the titles I like at least (no Star Wars for instance). And there’s a couple of volumes that I have and am willing to keep even though they’re not great (the Byrne Iron Man volume, for instance) for the sake of that completism and doing long re-reads somewhere down the line. But this volume has really broken that resolve and I’m happy enough to have a gap in my eventual run of DD volumes.

Yeah, that era of Daredevil is… not good. I barely made it through Fall From Grace when I read it - glad I’m not alone.

I’m not saying this to be contrarian for the sake of it but this is easily my favourite DD!

I’d rather read this than Bendis DD anyday.

What do you think of the preceding Chichester/Lee Weeks run?

I’ve not read it (it hasn’t been collected yet asaik, certainly not in Epic collections).

Zavvi currently have a “Mystery DC Comics Graphic Novel 10 Pack” on sale for £15: Ten random TPBs from DC’s back catalogue.

I am not nearly brave enough to try that, though I suppose at £1.50 each there’s a good chance you can flip them for profit.

The value is good but I suspect you’ll end up with a lot of volumes 3 or 5 so even if you like them you’ll have to spend more to read the rest of the story.

I just got an email last night saying my copy has been dispatched.

Mine arrived last night, from Amazon

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers v1

So… I didn’t really expect to end up reading this. When it launched, off the back of the mini-nostalgia wave from the movie the other year, I had a glance at the concept art, noted they hadn’t sprung for the likeness rights to the original cast and then pretty much wrote it off as nostalgia bait.

And I’m not sure I really have nostalgia for Power Rangers. I was six when it launched, so was absolutely the right age for this specific version of it and thoroughly enjoyed it as a kid, but unlike, say Transformers, it isn’t something I’m that interested in revisiting (outside of checking out some of the original Sentai series).

But I kept hearing good things about this series, especially later developments, so thought I’d give it a punt and, overall, it’s pretty good. Hendry Prasyeta’s art is nice - the people are all a tad bland looking, but the zords and monsters are cool and the story telling is solid - and Kyle Higgin’s writing isn’t particularly egregious, there’s no bad attempts at bad teen slang or anything.

It’s not perfect though. I had to check several times when reading this to make sure I had actually got the first volume, because it picks up in the middle of a story and makes next to no concession to the reader not knowing what’s gone on before. The series starts with Green Ranger, Tommy Oliver, having broken free of Rita Repulsa’s control and joined the team, but suffering lingering effects. There are passing mentions of his activities for Rita, his fight against Jason during that, even a scene with Goldar that smacks of a “keeping a wheel spinning for a supporting character” as he languishes in prison for his failures that we haven’t seen. I genuinely don’t know if the reader is expected to just go with all this or remember exactly what happened in the original TV series where Tommy was introduced (I certainly don’t). It’s slightly disorientating.

There’s also a weird disconnect between the main story and the back-up, The Continuing Adventures of Bulk and Skull by Steve Orlando and Corin Howell. Bulk and Skull were comic relief bullies in the original series and that’s what the back-up strip portrays them as, showing them scheming to get attention from the girls and look cool, throwing in copious terrible insults for the Power Rangers (“dour rangers” for instance :roll_eyes:). This is completely at odds with how the main stories show Bulk and Skull, which is as fairly harmless, positive even, Power Ranger super-fans that run their own vlog series about them. I’m really confused as to how and why that disparity got through editorial.

All that said, I was reasonably entertained by this and I like that it’s looking to move beyond retreading the restrictive format of the original series, so I’ll be at least trying out the second volume.

In regards to this

CABLE & X-FORCE OMNIBUS HC
Written by FABIAN NICIEZA, JIM KRUEGER, GLENN HERDLING, SCOTT LOBDELL, JEPH LOEB, LARRY HAMA & TODD DEZAGO
Penciled by TONY DANIEL, PAUL PELLETIER, TERRY DODSON, MIKE WIERINGO, MC WYMAN, MIKE MILLER, STEVE SKROCE, DAVID BREWER, IAN CHURCHILL, DARICK ROBERTSON, JAN DUURSEMA, STEVE EPTING, ADAM KUBERT & MORE
Cover by STEVE SKROCE
ON SALE APRIL 2019
When the villainous Upstarts target X-Force and the New Warriors, the teen teams must join forces to survive! Meanwhile, Cable forges an uneasy alliance with Magneto’s Acolytes when Omega Red strikes — but can he save Lee Forrester from D’Spayre and Belasco? X-Force faces both past and future when the Nimrod Sentinel is born and the Externals come calling…but why is former teammate Dani Moonstar serving with the MLF? And when the alien Phalanx kidnap the X-Men, can X-Force, X-Factor and Excalibur stop the spread of their techno-organic terror? Plus: Cable and Storm take on Apocalypse’s Dark Riders — but who is Genesis? Gruesome secrets about Feral’s family come to light! And Reignfire’s identity is revealed at last! Collecting X-FORCE (1991) #32-43 and ANNUAL #3, CABLE (1993) #9-20, NEW WARRIORS (1990) #45-46, X-FACTOR (1986) #106, EXCALIBUR (1988) #82 and WOLVERINE (1988) #85.
864 PGS./Rated T …$100.00
ISBN: 978-1-302-91777-7
Trim size: oversized

Just wanted to show off that I have a portion of the original cover art :kissing_heart:

My Silver Surfer omnibus arrived this morning. Looking forward to grt stuck in proper over the holidays.

My buddy needs a copy of Classic G.I. Joe volume 4 from IDW for our Talking Joe podcast. However, the cheapest I can find for him is £43 on ebay. If anyone can find a cheaper copy we’d be grateful.

He wants the print version but obviously the digital version is available much, much cheaper.

I got that Zavvi DC Mystery Box:

Not awful.

That’s a pull quote if I’ve ever seen one. :wink: