millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Already did myself

“I’ll take super disturbing sentences to read out of context for $100 Alex”

I knew what I was doing :wink:

If they go all the way to the original Eagle size pages, they’ll be massive volumes - I’ve the first seven collections Hawk did late 80s / 90s.

I’d been reading the 1991 X-Force run on Marvel Unlimited, as I’d long had the paper versions of the Liefeld issues, and had followed the series on and off during my news-stand days through the Capullo, Daniel, and Pollina periods - annoyingly there are still issues missing, so the Reignfire reveal isn’t included there. And then a bunch of issues were missing from the Jeph Loeb/Adam Pollina run so I dropped it and moved on to AoA.

I’m lazily picking up the Omnibus as I can’t be bothered opening and repacking the bagged and boarded single issues. I’m annoyed that I’ve picked up small trades to fill in some of the crossover gaps as I didn’t have any of the new warriors issues so I’ll be triple dipping I’m some instances.
Fudgecycles.

Wordery has it up now

June 2019

Received my copy of The Complete Elfquest Volume 5.

It’s one of those great yet baffling ‘how does DHC sell this book at that price and still stay in business?’ volumes, as it’s a nearly 800 pager! That I got for for just over £13.50.

Recent reads:

Skybourne

Like George Perez’ Sirens, I wondered if this was ever going to come out and it did in September. The story is a fun riff on superheroes and Arthurian legend and it works pretty well. It’s a fun read, Cho’s art is excellent.

Moon Knight - Lemire & Smallwood OHC

For a book that could be said to be about nothing more than a man getting his head together, this is both so much more and an absolute masterpiece.

There’s a slow shift in the perception of mental health by society. It’s not done, it’s not over, the school of ‘pull yourself together’ still exerts too much influence but things are changing. Mental health is being seen less as something to be cured, more as something to be lived with and managed and, in a way, this book is all about that.

In order to do that Lemire chose the perfect character, Moon Knight. A fractured psyche, a broken individual who is ideally suited to the story Lemire wants to spin.

Added to that are four artists, with Smallwood being the lead and the others lending their unique style when needed. It’s the when needed bit that makes the book work. This has some of the most intelligent use of artists and their styles that I’ve ever seen. It’s ingenious, inventive and it’s all about telling its story the best it can.

Superb stuff. If you haven’t read this, do so.

A quick catch-up of some recent reads.

Moonshine v.2: Misery Train

It’s been a while since I read Moonshine’s first batch of six issues, but it was surprisingly easy to slip back into its story for #7-12. While the overall yarn about Prohibition-era gangsters and werewolves is only mildly compelling, it’s the moment-to-moment storytelling that really makes it sing. Azzarello and Risso are such a great team that the book is never less than incredibly readable, even when I don’t feel like I care that much about the characters.

Motor Crush v.1

This was a reasonably enjoyable and light book revolving around racing, addiction and mysterious past events gradually being revealed, all with a slight sci-fi twist. The races allow for lots of dynamic action scenes and the characters are likeable, although it’s not one that stays very long in the memory.

Lazarus v.1-5

I dropped out of Lazarus a while back - I was enjoying the book but fell off during one of the inter-arc gaps and never caught back up - so it was nice to get back up to date with this. I’d read books one through three before but reread them again this time before starting book four, to remind me of all the details.

Book One is a great introduction to the world of the series and its main players, but it’s only in Book Two where it really opens up in scope, and starts to give you a real sense of how society works for those outside of the dynastic controlling families.

With Book Three you really start to see how complex Rucka’s plotting is, and how deftly he can juggle a very large cast and lots of interrelated subplots without the story feeling like it loses its focus and central thrust. It’s probably my favourite of the lot.

Book Four is good, but it’s where the story starts to move into a more militaristic mode as events begin to slide into all-out-war, which I enjoyed slightly less than the more controlled pressure-cooker atmosphere of the earlier issues.

Book Five continues on that war footing, leading up to a killer final issue that feels genuinely shocking and brutal, and gives the book a monstrous villain character who actually manages to deliver on all his build-up.

And in the final collection so far, of the X+66 issues, you get a series of one-shots that focus on key characters to explore them in more detail, with some guest illustrators taking on art duties. This final book is a bit more of a mixed bag - not only because Michael Lark isn’t on art, although that’s part of it - although there’s some good stuff here too, particularly the final issue. On balance though I think I prefer the earlier occasional ‘interlude’ issues between arcs to an entire series of one-shot tie-ins that don’t move the overall story on that much.

I still have left to read the three factfile-type issues that lay out loads of the backstory and details about the families and characters of Lazarus, but to be honest I’m finding it a bit hard to drum up the interest as I’m not a huge fan of just ploughing through all that extraneous ‘world-building’ stuff in its own right.

Can’t wait for the series proper to return though.

Sugar v.1

Having enjoyed Sunstone but sensed diminishing returns towards the end, and having thought Swing was only ok, I waited until I could check out this latest sister title in a Comixology sale. I actually enjoyed it a little more than Swing, as the characters and relationships are a bit better constructed and more interesting here, which makes it a more engaging read even if the sex itself is the most dull and straightforward out of all the books. Like Swing, it feels like this is a decent first step towards something that will hopefully become a bit more interesting in future, now that all the groundwork is out of the way.

The Discipline v.1: The Seduction

A fantasy horror with a bit of a retro vibe, this book is heavy on the gore and nudity but doesn’t feel too exploitative or gratuitous. Unfortunately it doesn’t feel too original or interesting either, playing with familiar tropes and never really doing anything attention-grabbing with them.

A frustrated woman is seduced into a secret society of inhuman beings who have survived throughout history, and she finds herself starting to become more and more inhuman herself, at the same time as she is called on to fight against other eternal demonic beasties… it’s not the worst book in the world, and the art has some nice moments (and given the heavy focus on sex and erotic energy, it manages to mostly avoid feeling too ‘male gaze’), but after a promising start it ends up spinning its wheels and not going anywhere terribly interesting.

Glitterbomb v.1: Red Carpet

I bought this on a whim as the concept sounded interesting, and I really enjoyed it. A satirical, pointed take on Hollywood sexism and the way actresses are (mis)treated by the system, it’s a book that’s ended up feeling quite timely (for obvious reasons).

But that’s not why it’s good. It’s good because it quickly creates a cast of interesting and three-dimensional characters (both leads and supporting players), it moves through the story quickly, it features some nice shocks and surprises, some tense moments, and some enjoyable (often dark) humour that hits the mark. And the art is good too. I ordered the second volume immediately after reading the first, which I guess is a decent compliment.

Brilliant reviews Dave, Love the cover pics that accompany it, always helps set the scene

Dealer Alert

Anyone after the next part of this truly insane epic at a bargain price go here:

The Metabaron Book 3 - Books Etc - £13.37

This is an Absolute-size hardback that I know @RonnieM will attest to the quality of.

I don’t pick up a lot of physical comics anymore but really enjoy this series. Seriously nice hardcovers.

So I saw x-men the Adamantium collection on sale from zavvi (a uk online retailer) for £50 and thought Bargin!

Then it arrived.

Sweet baby jeebuz this thing is ridiculously Huge

Product Dimensions 33 x 8.9 x 50.8 cm
Shipping Weight 8.78 kg

Read the fine print kids

Here it is next to the New X-Men Omnibus

It’s just waaaay to big
I may have to flip it as it’s going for £104 on Amazon.

Wow. That’s the hardcover equivalent of this guy:

I meant to warn people who hadn’t seen it. I tried to just look at this in the book store and it was more than unwieldy. I didn’t have one to compare but it seemed much larger than an Absolute.

It also seemed to have an odd arrangement of issues with large jumps. If I remember correctly, it jumps directly from the last issue of the Dark Phoenix Saga to Clarmont & Lee’s X-Men #1.

I really want to keep it but it’s just so big it’s ridiculous. If the missus wanted to take me out she could drop it on me in my sleep and say I slipped and no one would be the wiser!

Best not give her ideas :rofl:

That’s one of the reasons I don’t often go in for these kinds of compilations. There’s a weird hodgepodge feel to them that doesn’t serve any of the material particularly well.

Marvel Omnibus drop for 2019

Some of these have been mentioned by Dave already but here’s a reasonably comprehensive list if you’ve missed them.