millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

I’d been interested in Maestros but didn’t check it out yet. Thanks for the reminder.

It’s a really nice, big, excellent value trade.

Vince B on 11 o’clock Comics has been raving about Maestros and I keep meaning to check it out at some point, you’ve given me the nudge.

I really like Skroce’s art on ‘They’re not Like Usm

Descender” ends in an interesting way. It’s not my favourite work of Lemire’s, but Ngyuen’s work is absolutely amazing. They’re doing Descender the way some European sci-fi comics work, in the Moebius tradition - big ideas, crazy scenarios, colourful characters… and dialogue that is too expositionary and a plot that is just very broad strokes. The good and the bad of doing comics this way. It was a very fun ride, that’s for sure.

Got these two for under £5 each. Used - As New on amazon marketplace. They sell for £20+ through amazon itself. No idea if they’re any good but worth a shot I thought.

Webspinners has a few decent stories in it. Joe Kelly’s, Paul Jenkins, J.M. DeMatteis.

Dark Avengers is alright too, actually. One of Bendis’ stronger Avengers runs. Will probably feel incomplete if it doesn’t include Siege as well.

I wasn’t much of a fan of Dark Avengers but Jenkins wrote some good Spidey comics.

Had a good time today.

First, a story of the two Grant Morrisons. Morrison can be an absolutely superb story-teller but he can also be a creator up his own arse, high as a kite on his readlity-bending metaphysical theories. So, which do we have here?

Nameless OHC

This was absolute shite. It starts out a mess, but settles down then a bit then jumps off the ledge, splatters itself into the ground, sees its distributed parts continue to move like a zombie and manages to crawl up its own arse to become an experience meaning sweet fuck all.

Klaus / New Adventures of Klaus OHCs

Now this? Morrison should be doing so much more of this, this works on every level and is superb. Mora’s art deserves all the plaudits it gets but Morrison’s story has a wonderful, emotional sincerity to it that hits every target.

Koeschei The Deathless

An excellent side story of the Mignolaverse this is executed in a way only Mignola could dream up. In a deserted corner of Hell, Koeschei and Hellboy meet up in an empty pub and there the former tells his story to the latter. What follows is an excellent origin tale that adds to the overall mythos. Also Steinbeck really invokes Mignola’s style on the art.

Gideon Falls Volume 1

Much has been said about this book and it lives up to its reputation. What makes it work for me is that it is a tale of psychological, yawning horror - neither the reader or the characters have any certainty regarding what they are experiencing.

Sorrentino deploys an intriguing art style too, which only bolsters the sense of unease. Every page has a grainy vertical effect on it, so while the imagery is clear, it’s not crystal clear, there’s a perpetual fuzz on everything. Which really works with this kind of story.

Kill or be Killed Volume 4

I realised about halfway through this that it was the final volume, I’d truly thought there was one more to come. Still, every story has to finish and landing a successful conclusion is part of it all. Fortunately, the ever reliable duo that is Brubaker and Phillips do so.

Also, as usual, each of the six issues feel - and more than likely are - larger than usual size, while being a masterclass in comics. At the same time, while it does resolve quite cleverly, Brubaker knows a story like this relies on not giving everything a clear, definite answer - so he doesn’t.

If they were to issue this as either a Omnibus or pair of OHCs, I’d upgrade to them.

All My Heroes Were Junkies HC

And so I finished reading a stack of trades with this superb little book.

Again, it’s not page count that matters but what you do with the pages you have and this book does a great deal with its 72 pages.

Because of the Criminal novella tag, you can too easily go in looking for that aspect - don’t do that. It’s there, but let it turn up in its own time. Instead, just settle back and enjoy the ride a page at a time - you’re in good hands.

Great write-ups Ben.

I’m definitely hoping for a complete OHC on Kill Or Be Killed. Hopefully soon!

Dealer Alert

I didn’t realise this was out:

24 Panels - Books Etc - £9.31

In June 2017, the Grenfell fire killed 72 people in a 24-story tower block in West London. 24 PANELS is an anthology comic to support the PTSD needs of the survivors. Curated by KIERON GILLEN (THE WICKED + THE DIVINE), it features 24 stories, each no longer than 24 panels. Half drawn from professional creators who volunteered their time and half drawn from open submissions, 24 PANELS is about community, hope, and (most of all) raising as much money as possible.

Out this Wednesday I think.

Had that on order from Speedyhen but I’ll grab it from Books Etc if they have it in now. Thanks Ben!

Gutted to of missed out on contributing to this.
Had an artist lined up for a 4 pager and they didn’t deliver. Had a few friends lucky enough to contribute. Should be a class effort from the U.K. names involved.

I’ve left this out to put a decent sized comment on it, on top of my brief ‘I loved it’

It really made an impact on me and at the time I didn’t have time to speak at length about it.

It’s still lying by my shelves as a reminder as I feel it deserved a lengthy post.

I’ve put this in the 2000ad thread but I know that thread is only frequented by a handful of people.

Here’s 2000ad and Rebellion’s trade schedule for next year, a whole lot of British Treasury of Comics collections in there which is bad news for my wallet.

I went to pick up this week’s Immortal Hulk trade and the cut on it was just the most horrendous thing I’ve seen for such a great series.

Guess I’m waiting for the deluxe HC that’s marked up as an Omnibus in a few years.

I remember really liking this story and yet completely forgetting a ‘Speed’ comic ever existed. A quick Google said I read it in ‘Tiger’ after one of the many ‘mergers’ in those days.

Thanks for the warning on this. I was planning on double dipping on this, but not in another of Marvel’s shittily put together trades.

I’ll hold off for hardback.

I don’t know what kind of business you have to be in where the cover is shorter than the pages within it.
And I checked all of the copies - this was common through all of them.
That and general 5 issue flimsiness (I could feel it warping in my hands) made this a definite pass.

On the same display was a Slott/Allred Silver Surfer “omnibus” so I know that eventually Immortal Hulk will get one too.

Their trades have a horrible habit of curving on the covers. The money they charge you’d thing they could bind a decent fucking book together.

On that note about Silver Surfer omnibus…my copy hasn’t arrived from Amazon…I’ll need to chase that up.

Just read this. I’d say it’s easily one of the top 5 best books being publishing right now but man, it’s a bit depressing.