millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Midtown Comics confirms that this baby is being released next Wednesday in the States. Be prepared.
BPRD%203

Ok, it’s a book, but this looks fantastic:

Illustrated by Chris Samnee

Introduced by Michael Moorcock

Colouring by Matthew Wilson

Did you ever read any of the Escapist comics they put out? I dimly remember picking one up years ago.

I think I might have read the first one, but don’t really remember.

That new edition looks great, anyway.

Probably my favourite BKV book.

Interesting. I wonder if that is what Samnee has been working on since he left Marvel.

I remember liking the BKV-written The Escapists, which was a series partly set in the same world as Kavalier and Clay, as well as in the world of the comic.

Dealer Alert

The great Speedy Hen pre-order bonanza continues, with that 8% off applied:

Transformers Phase 2 OHC8 - £24.78

Aquaman Omnibus - £32.11

Recent reads:

Bonehead

A gamble buy because it was cheap. Is it great? No. Is it bad? No. It’s all right, it’s some sort of future SF spliced with superpowers from tech / drugs mixed with corrupt rulers that riffs a bit on anime and video games. Art’s pretty good, story is OK, but all in all? You can probably give it a miss.

The Death of Stalin

Amazon was flogging this very nice hardback for over 50% off, so at that price it was bargain. While you can see what the film drew on, this is very much its own, distinctive take. What both have in common is they show just how incredibly fucked up it all was. Get it cheap and this is well worth it.

Death To The Tsar

A later work from the same team, this is set in 1905 in Russia, ruled by the Tsars. Reading it does give rise to the idea that the brutality of the Tsar regime influenced the Communists more than they would have admitted. From the Russian perspective, going from the Tsar to the Party was little more than a changing of the bastards. Brutally treated by their rulers, what should a Russian peasant expect but more of the same?

This story is split so it is told in two parts, each from different perspectives - it is an effective structure.

Again, buy it for £12-13 and it’s an excellent tale.

Deadpool World’s Greatest OHC5

Sometimes, a status quo reset feels like a cheat. In this case, however, it works because the character had simply become too heroic. Duggan uses Hydra Cap as the device to do this and it just about works, though it’s notable that even Duggan can’t really make the Secret Empire story work for him. He does get to weave in some good jokes though, like a cover in school going ‘miss one detention and two more will take its place’.

This OHC is also very little on content, only collecting, at best, 8 issues.

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra OHC1

This is a book that works in spite of its lead character. For all that Aphra clearly has a fanbase, it’s not one I see the appeal of the character for. Aphra’s an amoral wreck going around tomb-raiding and back-stabbing her way across the galaxy. She’s accompanied by Black Krrstan, think of a perpetually pissed off Chewie gone to the dark side and the Murderbots, who I find to be far more fun. Oh and it turns out her ‘Doctor’ title is fraudulent too.

The first story delves into Aphra’s background as her Dad shows up and what follows is pretty much a Last Crusade homage, except with an amoral archaelogist. The other problem is the story keeps trying to keep her to be sort of good or not wholly bad, when it’d be better for it to just make its mind up. Similarly, moments when Aphra starts talking of morality feels utterly hollow.

The second story collected here was The Screaming Citadel, a crossover story which is a case of good premise and potential utterly squandered by lousy execution. The one-shot opener is pretty good, with Chechetto on art - unfortunately, that in turn sets an art standard the rest of the issues can’t possibly match. There are some potentially interesting new characters but they get no time to really become so before they get thrown off the game board. It also has Luke, Han and Leia being far too much at each other’s throats, it’s hard to see any sign they really care about each other, nor is there reason for Luke to trust Aphra.

People were also screaming all right about the art. There’s a reason why there is a boundary between photography and comics and the art here shows why it should be maintained. There’s all sorts of weird, excessive photo imagery here that looks very, very odd. I can work out the why, the event was released at breakneck speed, the issues had to be done somehow but the output is not good. If the story were better, it’d be more minor but it’s not a good story either.

It’s all-right, but nowhere near what it ought to be. It’s also afraid of rendering its lead character as the full villain she is,

Thanks Ben, i’ll Leave this one for the sales

One I forgot:

Dark Justice: Dominion

This was a stunningly well presented horror tale that really follows through on the nature of the Dark Judges all the way to the end. What’s also notable about the story is it becomes more than it’s standard ‘what happens if Dredd isn’t there to save them’. The main way it does this is the writing, with the Dark Judges being surprisingly subtle in their strategy to sentence the colony, while the painted art gives it a very, very creepy atmosphere.

This arrived:

(It’s actually my second copy - I got rid of the first when this reprint was announced.)

It’s such a great run, one of my all-time favourite ASM runs. So many great issues collected here, and McFarlane’s Spidey redefined the character visually - I’d say he’s one of the most important artists to have ever worked on Spider-Man.

Daredevil v.6: Mayor Fisk

I’ve been following Soule’s Daredevil on and off in digital sales when it comes up cheap, and it’s been pretty good overall, despite the occasional lull. This volume sees Matt Murdock return home to find that New York has been taken over by the Kingpin who has become mayor while Matt was out of the country.

It’s a pretty good ‘nightmare scenario’ for Daredevil, and Soule draws on real-world unlikely democratic successes of the past few years (I’m sure you can think of a couple) to plausibly set up a scenario where Fisk could have won over the people of New York.

Where the story goes after that is quite interesting, and for a short time the comic almost feels like Ex Machina in places as Murdock and Fisk spar over policy decisions in the mayor’s office. But it’s not long before it’s brought back to a fairly standard superhero/supervillain showdown, with yet another climactic face-off between Daredevil and Kingpin at the same time as a group of Matt’s superhero mates battle a gang of super-baddies.

It all feels suitably ‘big’ for the anniversary #600 issue that caps off the storyline of this collection. And despite there being quite a few other characters in the mix here, Soule doesn’t get too bogged down in other Marvel Universe details (a few plot points are slightly lost on me, as someone who doesn’t really follow Marvel any more, but they’re not too important to the story). I can take or leave some of the secondary plots involving Blindspot - who has never quite taken off for me - and Muse, but the core story is pretty solid.

The art is good too, especially Garney who captures a certain dark gritty feel with his work that suits Daredevil well.

With a decent cliffhanger at the end of it all (albeit one that’s heavily trailed throughout the story), there’s a definite sense of ‘where do we go next?’ after this book concludes. But at the same time, it’s not such a fantastic book that I won’t be able to resist waiting for another digital sale for volume seven.

Fans of Bill Sienkiewicz might be interested in this new Artifact Edition from IDW, which reproduces his original art from books like X-men, Moon Knight, Elektra: Assassin and Daredevil.

The contents page in the preview suggests there’s going to be a lot of painted pages there, and what we see looks really impressive.

Once again the surge of excitement you get at the thought of another Silver-Age collection turns to bitter disappointment when you see Geoff Johns’ name :frowning:

Interesting - I wonder if this means an Absolute (or even a Gallery Edition) is on the way.

Also, it’s worth clicking through that link to see all the replies on Twitter from people who misunderstand the question and offer to lend him a copy of the TPB. :smile:

Did McKean actually produce the pages with the cross dressing Joker? If he did it’d interesting if they were included.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen those if he did - I remember hearing that it was suggested by the script but I don’t know if it ever made it to the art stage.

Wondering what they can do for the 30th anniversary they didn’t do in the 15th and 25th anniversary edition’s. Be nice to have it in a gallery edition. I’ve been writing a piece for something coming up next year about it so rereading it this weekend.