millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

I loved the ‘Nuff Said issue too, where May was writing to the Bugle. It was a bit of a cheat, I know. But, really illustrated what type of woman she was. And, why she would have beat the crap out of Peter for his decision in “One More Day”.

I remember when the run first came out, and the interruption of the 9/11 issue (#36) threw the scheduling way off-track, it meant that during the 'Nuff Said month the title was due to handle the big conversation between Pete and May over his secret - and fans were wondering how the hell JMS was going to deal with that ‘silently’!

Luckily the ‘Nuff Said issue was the one after that (and it just came out a month or two late compared to the other’ Nuff Said issues.)

Two Spidey omnis from the latest Marvel solicits, I guess because there’s a Spider-Man movie out:

A fourth omni including the death of Gwen.

So it includes ‘Sins Past’. The bastards.

F*ck! Definite no go from me, then!

Was Sins Past really that bad?
You’re reminding me of my friend who paid more to buy the three Indiana Jones films individually rather than get the cheaper boxset which included Crystal Skull.

Bastards. That’s going to be hard to resist.

Really good to see Spidey get a 4th Omnibus, means we might eventually get X-Men 4, up to #200.

The Thor collection looks good too:

THOR BY JASON AARON & RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
VOL. 3 HC
Written by JASON AARON
Penciled by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN, STEVE EPTING, VALERIO SCHITI, WALTER SIMONSON, JAMES HARREN, MAHMUD ASRAR, JEN BARTEL, RAMON PEREZ & MORE
Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
ON SALE MAY 2019
Death comes for the Mighty Thor! But first, she must survive the Asgard/Shi’ar War! Plus, as Malekith’s manipulations threaten all there is, Jane Foster recruits Angela and Sif to her new League of Realms — and leads them on a deadly mission into Dark Elf territory! Then, when the hammer of the Ultimate Thor resurfaces, its new wielder becomes a thundering Thor for dangerous times. But who is this new War Thor? As Malekith’s dark army grows, the Queen of Cinders threatens to engulf the Realms. But worse is still yet to come! When the Mangog returns just as Jane’s cancer takes a turn for the worse, the end approaches. Will the Gates of Valhalla open for Jane? Collecting MIGHTY THOR (2015) #13-23 and #700-706, GENERATIONS: THE UNWORTHY THOR & THE MIGHTY THOR and MIGHTY THOR: AT THE GATES OF VALHALLA.
528 PGS./Rated T+ …$44.99
ISBN: 978-1-302-91738-8

Except no Thor: Unworthy mini also in this? Seems a strange omission and they could easily add another 5 issues.

Red the first Batman / TMNT crossover. Heroes meet, clash, and team up. Nothing fancy in terms of plot but it’s well executed, beautifully draw, and a whole lot of fun so no complaints.

Yes.

I read an issue of it back in the day. It seemed well-written. The art was nice enough. You’re talking about it like, well, like it’s One More Day.

The art is decent and the story is reasonably well-told. It’s just very misjudged as far as the characters go. I feel similarly about One More Day to be honest.

JMS’ original plan to make Pete the father would have had its own problems, but would have been better than introducing the Norman/Gwen affair that just didn’t really make much sense.

I reread the two OHCs of Aaron and Ribic’s Thor last week. Is there anything between that and the first Aaron and Duaterman OHC (I’m thinking some kind of Original Sin thing)?

Just Original Sin, but it’s skippable. Although I found it quite a fun read.

It starts out okay, but it gets worse. So much worse.

Norman Osborne’s O-face wasn’t in One More Day.

Given Deodato’s chosen photo reference, it was actually Tommy Lee Jones’ O-face.

I started reading through the Spider-Man vs Venom omnibus.

I wasn’t sure whether it was a purchase I would regret - time can be unkind to stories that you remember fondly for nostalgic reasons - but I’m very happy with it.

It’s really comprehensive in the way it includes all of the early Venom appearances (from the Secret Wars origin all the way through the issues involving Spidey realising the costume is an alien and fighting it before it goes off to find Brock), and it takes a smart approach in just including small batches of pages from stories where Venom only makes a minor appearance.

Limiting these ‘cameo’ stories to just the relevant excerpts works well - it would be a slog to read through those full issues just for a couple of pages of Venom, but including all the pages with his subplot helps to make the book feel complete.

I’ve started reading it a couple of nights ago and I’m currently midway through the Michelinie/Larsen batch of issues that follows the McFarlane run - I had forgotten how fun and goofy some of this stuff was. Really enjoying it.

Plus, my daughter came in and had a look at the book just as I was reading the issue where Spidey finds out from Mr Fantastic that the costume is an alien, and thought the gag with Johnny Storm and the ‘Amazing Bag-Man’ costume was a hoot:

ASM-258-04

De: Tales - Stories From Urban Brazil

This collection of short stories by Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá is a great showcase for their talent of spinning a yarn in an inventive, compelling way. The anthology of black-and-white tales doesn’t have a single defining theme, but all of its stories are united by a similar playfulness of tone, a sense of whimsy and a gently philosophical outlook on life - especially when it comes to affairs of the heart.

Often, the stories are very personal, with the Brazilian twins themselves occasionally appearing as characters in their own stories - and with other tales obviously being based on their own life experiences. But despite this strong sense of the stories being rooted in their own lives and home country, Moon and Bá manage to pull off the trick of also making them feel universal.

The situations are broad and grounded enough that we can immediately put ourselves in the shoes of the characters - whether it’s someone sneaking off after a one-night stand, or a pair of travellers getting caught in a sticky situation in a foreign country, or a group celebrating the anniversary of a close friend’s death, or even a nervous guy ruining his chances with a girl by second-guessing his own actions. They’re all very relatable situations that feel true-to-life, even when Moon and Bá sometimes add supernatural or fantastical elements to spice them up and give them an extra twist.

The last story I mentioned there is particularly interesting, in that it’s the only story here that’s presented twice, with both brothers taking a shot at illustrating their own version of it.

It makes for an interesting comparison and exploration of how the way you choose to tell a story visually can alter the feel of it, and you can’t help flipping between the pages of the two to compare them.

It’s hard to capture in words exactly what makes Moon and Bá’s art so attractive. Part of it is their ability to capture characterisation, and tell us so much through their characters’ facial expressions and body language that the dialogue can afford to be relatively sparse, sometimes even poetic. Part of it is the way that they often add very specific background detail to their scenes, stopping their pages from feeling generic or bland. And part of it is their technical skill, making even fairly complex panels with lots of different elements feel natural and coherent, even when presenting a relatively static and still moment.

This is the kind of book where you’ll enjoy the stories for their plots and characters, but you’ll also enjoy just seeing Moon and Bá tell a story with their pictures - in fact, some of my favourite pages ended up being wordless sequences where they simply show something happening, cleanly and clearly.

Having enjoyed a lot of their work in the past (on the likes of Daytripper and Casanova), it’s still taken me a long time to check this collection out, for some reason - but I’m glad I did. Anyone like me, who is a fan of their work but has neglected this book, would do well to give it a look.

Hold on. What?

The different surnames they use seem aimed to confuse but yes they are brothers.

Certainly confused me!