millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Amazon is showing as a penny cheaper than SH for me, £67.92.

But SH is cheaper with the current discount code - autumn2018 for 8% off.

Interested to hear how you get on with Von Hoffman’s, I vaguely recalling some of it from when I was a kid (old comics or annuals from coffee mornings/uncles i think) I’ve got this collection in the house but not read it yet other than the first couple of chapters which I found quite amusing

From the December DC solicits:

ABSOLUTE SWAMP THING BY ALAN MOORE VOL. 1 HC
written by ALAN MOORE
art by STEPHEN BISSETTE, JOHN TOTLEBEN,SHAWN McMANUS, DAN DAY, RICK VEITCH, ALFREDO ALCALA and others
cover by STEPHEN BISSETTE and JOHN TOTLEBEN
Alan Moore’s legendary run of Swamp Thing tales is collected in Absolute format at last, completely recolored for this new edition! This first of three
volumes includes Moore’s first Swamp Thing story, issue #20’s “Loose Ends,” a prelude to his haunting origin story, “The Anatomy Lesson,” which reshapes Swamp Thing’s mythology with terrifying revelations. Collects Saga Of The Swamp Thing #20-34 and Swamp Thing Annual #2.
ON SALE 06.26.19
$99.99 US | 432 PAGES
FC | 8.25” x 12.5”
ISBN: 978-1-4012-8493-0
MATURE READERS

Keep a close eye on the usual suspects, Books Etc.

Also daily Ebay offers, Dave got a bargain a few days back via one of them.

In other news:

DARK NIGHTS: METAL TP
INCLUDES TWO ISSUES NOT IN THE DELUXE EDITION HARDCOVER!
written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, JOSHUA WILLIAMSON and GRANT MORRISON
art by GREG CAPULLO, DOUG MAHNKE, YANICK PAQUETTE, JORGE JIMENEZ, HOWARD PORTER and others
cover by GREG CAPULLO
The Dark Knight has uncovered one of the lost mysteries of the universe…one that could destroy the very fabric of the DCU! The dark corners of reality that have never been seen till now! The Dark Multiverse is revealed in all its devastating danger—and the threats it contains are coming for the DC Universe! Collects the best-selling DARK NIGHTS: METAL #1-6, plus BATMAN: LOST #1 and DARK KNIGHTS RISING: THE WILD HUNT #1, which were not included in the Deluxe Edition hardcover!
ON SALE 01.23.19
$19.99 US | 280 PAGES
FC | ISBN: 978-1-4012-8858-7

Oh fuck off DC, this is why I’m not buying so many trades from you now - you keep playing these games.

Were they not collected in the Metal companion trade?

Why the hell?
This is backwards!

Backwards and insulting.
Deluxe should mean something.

So Metal: Dark Knights Rising had these.

Collects the following special one-shots: BATMAN: THE RED DEATH #1, BATMAN: THE DEVASTATOR #1, BATMAN: THE MERCILESS #1, BATMAN: THE MURDER MACHINE #1, BATMAN: THE DROWNED #1, BATMAN: THE DAWNBREAKER #1, THE BATMAN WHO LAUGHS #1 and DARK KNIGHTS RISING: THE WILD HUNT #1.

So that has The Wild Hunt, but not Lost.
DC, you stump me.

Not the point - DC issue a quite nice OHC edition, then a few months later issue a paperback version, then add two issues to it which, by most accounts, enhance the story.

It’s not their only sin - you buy the Batman or Superman / Action Comics deluxe editions they don’t include other title crossover editions. Fortunately, I have the Button as its own OHC and the other crossover stories, Monster Men and Superman Reborn, I found to be rubbish so it doesn’t affect as much, but it’s still a crappy, low, utterly avoidable practice.

They issued the Oz Effect as OHC, guess what the Action Comics OHC3 includes? Oh and the Tomasi-Gleason Superman run, they’ve sliced that into two slimmer OHCs - so yeah, I’m responding to these crappy antics by cutting my buying. Case in point, Aquaman Underworld Rising OHC - on the one hand, it should be an auto-buy, Abnett writing and Sejic, an artist whose work I really like. Except… It’s in the middle of an ongoing story, volume 4 and who knows if DC will release the rest in the same format? They’ll probably just do an Omnibus a couple of years down the line.

When they want to, DC can put out some of the best value and quality omnibus OHC editions out there. What they consistently fail to do is do this reliably and consistently over time, thus they have this slightly dodgy reputation, where I never quite know what I’m buying.

Saw this and am OVER THE MOON about it.

You’re right. It is pretty rubbish practice.
I’ve found that Batman Lost was collected in the Metal: The Resistance trade. Though it looks like that one never got a hardcover.

Yeah, very DC. Even if they did a hardback, they’d probably call it deluxe while keeping it the same size. Which is what looks to have happened on Metal - main series = OHC, the companion books = some regular HC, some paperbacks.

Oh, you wanted format consistency? Come on, it’s DC.

These DC shenanigans would piss me right off. It’s one of the reasons I stick to single arc paperbacks.

I’m going to confess it’s a bit of a slog. Lots of text and I get the impression that it would read better in three page instalments spaced a week apart rather than all in one big lump. It gets pretty formulaic pretty quickly (though in fairness in only about half way through the trade at the moment so I’m hopeful it picks up towards the end).

I’ve seen a few complaints about the latest the Marvel Epic Collections (Daredevil: Roots of Evil, Spider-Man: Venom and the reprint of Iron Fist). It seems Marvel have used a different printer for them - Quad Graphics, I think - and they’re being produced at a much lower quality than the usual from RR Donnelly, with thinner pages, covers curving back on themselves and a fair few errors on the trade dress (missing logos, misaligned spines etc).
I’ve all but abandoned most of Marvel’s regular trade output due to the diminishing quality level over the last few years, but the Epics have been a bastion of quality. It’d be a shame if they consistently dropped the meet the rest of the line.

Well it was only a matter of time before Marvel found out the Epics were good and put a stop to it.

I saw on Twitter today similar complaints about the paper quality on their monthly issues dipping. I wonder if they’ve shifted printer for both on a cheaper deal.

I didn’t think it was possible for the monthlies to get any lower in quality. It does seem likely they’ve changed both. I saw mention of the Trump tariffs on China affecting paper costs/manufacturing which could well be a factor (if they do actually cover them).

I’ve said it before, but the new paper stock DC are using these days is pretty awesome. Matt finish, slightly thicker paper. It’s slightly retro, but I think really works well. Always hated the super glossy paper.

For those who love Hellboy stuff, this TPB was released yesterday collecting the recent 6-part miniseries.