millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

“facts”

I get both you guys and remain in the middle.

F*#k, there has got to be a better way to say that.

Did Kurt Cobain ever get a healthy meat grill appliance named after him? I think not.

Same here.

FP really got more hit than most by the Great Brexit Diamond Price Hike, it sent their prices way up and there was little they could do about it.

Sad to see them call it a day.

Yeah, I think that must be part of it. The margins must not be high enough to run it as a separate mail-order business, especially when you have multiple competitors regularly undercutting you like SH, Books Etc and Amazon.

something something Eddie Vedder?

What are you listening to?
What are you listening to?

He was that singer in Dave Grohl’s first band, yeah?

Ug: Boy Genius Of The Stone Age

I loved Raymond Briggs as a kid. I read his Father Christmas Goes On Holiday so many times that I knew it off by heart and the pages were falling out, and The Snowman was a Christmas staple that is probably still his best-known work. As I got older, I checked out some of his more adult-oriented books, including When The Wind Blows, which I think might be one of the most heart-breaking and simultaneously absurdly funny comics I’ve read.

But somehow I missed Ug: Boy Genius Of The Stone Age (subtitle: And His Search For Soft Trousers), which came out in 2001 and which I only found out about when I saw it at the library with my kids a couple of weeks ago.

As with most of Briggs’ books, it’s very funny and very well-drawn, with the conceit revolving around a young stone-age cave-boy who has ideas that are ahead of their time, and upsets his long-suffering father and belligerent mother by asking for outrageous things like underpants that aren’t made of stone, footballs that roll, and bedsheets that are warm and cosy instead of cold, hard and rock-shaped.

As you can tell from that description, the book has a lot of fun with anachronisms, and frequently stops to point them out with tongue-in-cheek historical footnotes:

This kind of thing is typical of the book’s sense of humour, which mines a lot of jokes from the culture-clash elements of modern concepts applied to the stone age.

But this isn’t The Flintstones - instead it’s filtered through a sensibility that feels much more traditionally British in its humour, with Ug’s bickering working-class parents quashing the artistic dreams of their offspring because they simply don’t understand it.

A lot of passages feel almost like something out of one of Alan Moore’s more comedy-oriented comics, in the way that Briggs captures the voices and turns-of-phrase used by Ug’s mum and dad, and marries them to absurd discussions that are deadly serious to the characters but amusing to the reader:

And as the book goes on, we see Ug get bolder in his ambitions.

There’s a great sequence where Ug struggles to play stone age sports, an amusing section where he tries to work out why his stone canoe won’t float, and a great scene where he inadvertently invents the wheel (but struggles to find a use for it).

With some nice, gentle character development, some great humour and some unexpected twists, I found this a really enjoyable all-ages comic - and my daughter enjoyed it (and laughed a lot) when we read it as a bedtime story. At just 32 pages it’s easily read in one sitting, but it’s the kind of thing you might come back to several times when you feel like something light and amusing.

Looks like it’s been enough to spook FP .com:

Including pretty steep postage, which is why I haven’t used them.

I use FP . com a fair bit and the postage is not so bad if you combine items in a careful way.

Dealer Alert

Looks to be the best option going - my copy has just despatched:

Wild’s End: Volume 3: Journey’s End - SpeedyHen - £10.62

Books Etc have ever been good on Boom / Archaia books.

Rereading the Ultramarine Corps arc of JLA Classified, and I feel like it should probably have been included in the Seven Soldiers Omnibus, or at least a summary (like the Final Crisis sections in the Morrison Batman omnibus). It introduces quite a few important characters and ideas for Seven Soldiers, even if it’s a JLA story that doesn’t feature any of the seven.

I’m glad I remembered it was connected - for those of you that picked up the omni, it’s worth including as a companion piece as part of your readthrough, if you have access to it. My copy is in the back of the fourth Morrison JLA hardcover.

I picked up the first Hachette Deadpool partworks in Tesco today, £3 seemed decent seeing as I’ve never read a Deadpool comic in my life. I’ve read the Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe section and it’s pretty fun.

Doubt I’ll pick up any of the others, although I love Priest and would be interested in that run, if it’s any good?

I had forgotten this, yet somehow, my copy of the SS Omnibus is right next to JLA OHC4. Funny that.

The Gail Simone/Udon run from the early 2000s that spanned a dozen of so issues of Deadpool and Agent X is great

It was fun. I haven’t read it since I was about fifteen but it was pretty good. I have a feeling that some of it might have gone over my head.

For those interested in Jason Lutes’ long-time project Berlin, the omnibus is out today, as @RobertB said in the Comics Everyone Else thread.

Speedy Hen have it for £23.27, but not currently in stock:

For those that have Volumes 1-2 of Berlin:

I…I read this when I was a kid.
But had no idea who did it or the name until just now.

Neat.