millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Hope so!

There are only a handful of books that I know I’ll go back to forever. Sandman and Swamp Thing are irrefutably deserving of the treatment.

When/if I have the cash, it’s worth (to me) investing in the most complete and lasting version I can.

Unlikely that there will be many extras at this stage for something like swamp Thing, but with Sandman we got the original pitch, which was great. I already own the Planetary stuff in hardcover but one day I’ll probably pick up those absolutes as well.

The Sandman Absolutes are still far and away the best Absolutes DC has produced as far as I’m concerned. Totally worth the money for those beasts.

I don’t have THAT many to compare to, but just having the creators fully on board I think is huge in terms of getting extra and supplementary content. There is a limit to what you’re going to get in an Alan Moore Absolute at this point.

Do you mean the binding is better and the like?

They’re also pretty chunky in terms of content, regardless of the extras. The first one has about twenty issues in it - some Absolutes have a lot less (GL Rebirth is six, Year One is four and the upcoming Killing Joke is that single slim OGN).

On the Sandman Absolutes DC really knew they couldn’t cut corners and it showed.

More content and better packaging. It’s a lot more bang for your buck than a lot of the Absolutes that followed.

I only own a few and none of htem with me, so I’ll have to check. I remember really digging my NEW FRONTIER Absolute Package.

This is the review that sold me on it back in March:

I second everything said in that review, the book is superb.

Thanks, that has me very keen to check it out.

New Frontier is a good too. I really like that one.

Digital?

Picked up the fourth and fifth volumes of King’s Batman, War of Jokes and Riddles and Rules of Engagement. It has totally earned a run of the complete collected editions, something I’ve done with a small selection of comics over the years. I’ve got the complete Tomasi/Gleason Batman and Robin and Johnston’s Wasteland, and still working on Costa’s Cobra. For Sandman I opted for the Annotated Editions (suits my literary fancy), and that’s actually how I read the complete series for the first time. Also have the complete Zenith, once those collections finally became a thing, the complete 52, the complete Seven Soldiers of Victory, Morrison’s Action Comics, although of course all those have far fewer volumes to account for.

Are they any good? I’ve had a quick glance at the Sandman one and the Watchmen one but the notes I saw looked a little bit thin. The pages I saw may not have done the books justice.

There are pages where there aren’t notes, and that seems to have inordinately irritated some readers, but realistically that was bound to happen. There’s plenty of notes.

In case there was ever any doubt that I put stock in your recommendations:

Earth One Kilowog is PURE.

Supreme Power Vol. 1: Contact - I picked up this hardcover at C2E2 for $3. So even if it wasn’t as good as I remember, it would be worth the price of admission. I still love how JMS basically Ultimatized the DCU in this book. It takes the Superman story, makes it a bit more modern/cynical and connects most of the other characters origins to his in much the same way that all Ultimate Universe superheroes were in some way connected to the Super Soldier Program. Gary Frank’s art presages his work on Superman. While there are some odd facial expressions at times, it has a really great quality to it. Where it all bogs down a little bit is that all seems to move so slow. I thought the first storyline included the emergence of Power Princess and her connection to Hyperion. However, the only time she appears is a brief cameo of her hand. This was ultimately the reason I dropped the series. The whole thing just dragged and never seemed to reach any resolutions. When it started to split into multiple offshoots, I bailed. Shortly after that, it seemed like the whole thing got mucked about and never really recovered to finish JMS’s tale. It was still a lot of fun to revisit this first story and well worth the price of admission.

Green Lantern: Earth One v.1 HC

So after reading the recommendations upthread I ordered it on Friday, received it on Saturday and read the whole thing on Sunday. :slight_smile:

It’s very good, and deserves the attention. In fact it’s maybe the best Green Lantern story I’ve read.

I love that it situates the story in a more overtly sci-fi universe, updating Harold Jordan to a space-age hero before he even gets the ring, and doing some interesting (if fairly light and unobtrusive) world-building involving conspiracies and political developments on Earth, which presumably will play out in future volumes.

From the start it just feels like more of a sci-fi book than a superhero comic.

Stripping out some of the more ‘magical’ elements of the GL mythos is part of this too. The rings don’t choose their wearers (in fact anyone can wear or use them); there’s no oath - you just charge the ring from the battery as you would a phone or other portable device; even the GL Corps are presented in a very different way here, which really works for the story.

Oh, and Hal isn’t an arrogant asshole, which is something that can really wreck GL stories for me sometimes.

I won’t spoil the plot too much but there’s a very solid story at the heart of the book, which plays with your expectations and doesn’t always go the way you think. I particularly like the initial Kilowog reveal (and his request of Hal), and the games the story plays with automatic translation of alien languages.

The art is also very good indeed. Gabriel Hardman is someone who I haven’t really followed before, but does great work here. I like the variation in looseness of style - sometimes it’s almost sketchy, other times more well-defined - and there’s some cracking use of angled panels and unusual layouts to enhance the story.

This is a real success for the Earth One line, and as with the first Wonder Woman book I finished this one wanting to read the second immediately. Hopefully it isn’t too long before it appears.

It strikes me that between these books and the new Black Label stuff, DC is doing what some of us have been urging for years: self-contained stories that are driven by the creators and which aren’t beholden to continuity. If it allows for re-imaginings as good as this then they must be on to a good thing.