Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

I’m sorry…WHAT

Presumably that’s an Amazon Marketplace price. There are bots sellers use which check the average price for a product on various marketplace shops, and nudge their own one up a bit higher, with the assumption it’ll sell as soon as the cheaper ones are gone. If you have a few people all using the bots every couple of weeks, they wind up mutually nudging each other’s prices up higher and higher until it gets insane.

Actually I think it’s probably for the 12 volume slip case boxset that’s out this week. The UK site has similar confusion.

Do you think any of these people sell?

(At those prices)

Often wondered about this

I wouldn’t be surprised, to be honest. But I’d also assume that sellers will normalise their pricing from time to time.

There’s been a Thor Omnibus that keeps popping up in my ebay feed for £700+. And it obviously never sells, because it keeps getting relisted over and over again. You’d think that after a year the seller would have realised that the demand isn’t quite as high as he had anticipated :confused:

Or you assume that whoever the rube is who keeps watching it will eventually bite. :wink:

It just needs… to come… down… by a couple more pounds… :cold_sweat:

You should message the seller. I’m sure they would accept £698. :wink:

I sell on AMP regularly and join in on the silly prices now and then. While I’ve not had anything sell in the ridiculously high ends of nonsense (three figures) I have had a few things sell at prices I never thought they’d go for. They usually tend to drop rapidly once a new (or human) seller comes in and undercuts the price by even a little.

For an out-of-print trade, you might get away with up to 2-3 times the RRP. After that? I think most people will conclude you’re taking the mick,

Changing tack - always keep some items in your Book Depository and Wordery accounts, as they do 10% offers from time to time and you can get a bargain and it’s often not limited to what you have in the wishlist!

Oh this is a brilliant tip, thanks.

That’s interesting to hear

I’ve got out of print trades on eBay, and a lot of others that I let go for under RRP.

I think I’ll look into selling these on Amazon in future, even just to test the water.

AMP is also quite useful in that the listings don’t expire.

Amazon’s quite decent to use vs eBay. You can essentially list something on there and forget about it until it sells, if you want. Updating prices is easy and it’ll always tell you how much you’ll get from a sale (even if the arcane workings of their fees is hard to work out on your own).

Day Of Vengeance
13 years or whatever on, this holds up surprisingly well. I think it actually helps that it’s connection to Infinite Crisis is practically non-existent (it’s been an age and a day since I read IC, but looking at the plot summary for it on wikipedia, nothing from Day of Vengeance seems to have any connection to it), allowing it to just be story in its own right rather than part of the endless churn of mid-00s events.

And that story, of the Spectre, unhinged from the lack of a host, being manipulated by Eclipso into destroyed magic, to be stopped only by a group of C-list misfits, is pretty good. It’s missing some connective tissue from the preceding Superman three-parter, mainly what Eclipso’s motivation is having Spectre destroy magic, but it’s an entertaining yarn that creates a real gem in Shadowpact. There’s definitely a bit of a Defenders vibe to the team and the mix of characters is fun. Willingham’s tactic of having a different team member narrate each issue is a tad gimmicky, but it helps flesh them each out a bit. And they all look great under the pencil of Justiniano (who we’ll gloss over, I think). An ongoing series for them seems like a no-brainer for a hit. And yet…

Shadowpact: The Pentacle Plot
This is really a bit of a mess. It feels like DC threw the whole thing together with no forethought. Willingham is still on-board writing and, for some reason, draws the first two issues. He… is not well suited to art on this kind of book, doing some pretty bland issues. On top of that, he redesigns half the cast into some really terrible costumes. Enchantress’ knowingly retro witch hat, which worked so well in Day of Vengeance is ditched in favour of some weird metal face brace thing that looks like it was bought in a job lot of 90s left-overs. Detective Chimp is taken out of his t-shirt and deerstalker combo, which perfectly encapsulates the character’s attitude, and put in some ridiculous “tactical suit”. Nightmaster gets arbitrarily deaged. I really have to wonder what Willingham was thinking.

After Willingham’s two issues, art on the book is handed off to whoever happened to passing through the DC offices at the time. There are some good artists in that line-up - Tom Derenick and Shawn McManus especially - but they’re all completely disparate in style. How were they so on the back foot with a new series that there was no desperate rush to launch?

The art isn’t the only problem the book has though. Willingham opens the series by tying into One Year Later. Shadowpact get stuck in a rural town cut off from the rest of the world by malicious sorcerers by a barrier of blood. Willingham needs the team stuck in there for a year, but makes it needlessly confusing. On the outside, the Phantom Stranger has various D-list magic characters keep watch on the blood barrier for a year. Inside the barrier, we see Shadowpact spend only a few days fight the villains. The Enchantress uses a spell that ages everyone a year to break the barrier, but when it opens, it’s a year later outside anyway. It probably lines up if you think about it enough, but it really feels like a bodging of two different solutions to the one problem.

After that, the series sort of crawls along with little moment. Nightmaster and Detective Chimp spend about three issues standing around in the Oblivion Bar (which is a great concept - a bar for magicians that exists in its own dimension). Every issue opens with the Phantom Stranger addressing the reader (in a way that feels like it wants to be the opening to a TV show rather than a comic) and yet so many times it has nothing to add to the previous issue’s introduction.

Another weird thing Willingham does is half-suggest that Shadowpact are famous. In the year that they were in the blood barrier, they’re assumed dead and memorial is made to them. There’s a suggestion that they were well known before then. But they’ve only been around a little while, and their battle with the Spectre was the typical under-the-radar magical threat that most people wouldn’t have noticed. It seems natural to have a magical super-team go unnoticed and unheralded (maybe that’s me over-reading into the Defenders similarities). The idea of having a magical team that’s properly famous on the level of the JLA (or maybe the Teen Titans) is interesting, but Willingham doesn’t do enough with it here to sell it and it seems odd for a team of nobodies like Ragman and Blue Devil.

Just 5 more days until I call back Amazon to see if they’ll ship me a new Fourth World.

Oh yeah, I’ve had books sell within a day and others sell out of the blue years later.

Oh, I accidentally broke my pathetic DC boycott, as I had pre-ordered Young Justice Book 2 ages ago and completely forgotten about it until it arrived the other day. I’ve not read it yet. Hoping against hope it’s not damaged or misprinted. It does have incredibly wavy pages though.

41% discount on Dredd collections over at the 2000 ad shop.