millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

For OHC fans, there’s a Deluxe edition of Injection out in November, collecting the first three arcs (15 issues), priced at $50 :

That’s all that’s come out so far, but Shalvey said on Twitter that there will be another two arcs, starting later this year.

Injection has been very good. I’m tempted to rebuy it in OHC.

Uber Volume 6 watch:

Wordery has it at about £14
BD currently at £12.51, SpeedyHen at pre-order £12.57
Books Etc not yet in the game but that could change fast, a couple of days back the SpeedyHen wasn’t listing it either.

re: Injection OHC

How does it play out in longer form? I tried the first trade, could appreciate the artistry but it felt very familiar Ellis so I didn’t stick with it

Each arc deals with a different lead character from the group, and they’re reasonably self-contained stories while also carrying certain running elements forward.

It’s fairly comfortable material for Ellis but he does it well, and the art is very good.

Good things do come to those who wait! In Marvel’s May solicits:

MOON KNIGHT BY LEMIRE & SMALLWOOD HC
Written by JEFF LEMIRE
Penciled by GREG SMALLWOOD, FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA, JAMES STOKOE & WILFREDO TORRES
Cover by GREG SMALLWOOD
Marc Spector (A.K.A. Moon Knight/Jake Lockley/Steven Grant) has been fighting criminals and keeping New York City safe for years…or has he? When he wakes up in an insane asylum with no powers and a lifetime’s worth of medical records, it calls his whole identity — identities —into question. Something is wrong, but is that something Marc himself? Delve deep beneath the mask of Moon Knight to meet the many men inside his head! While Steven Grant prepares for a box-office smash, Jake Lockley is arrested for murder! And as the muddled mind of Moon Knight reaches its limit, the secrets of his past are revealed in a story of birth, death and rebirth unlike any other. Trapped outside of reality, Moon Knight’s survival depends on answers — but Marc Spector is plagued by nothing but questions! Collecting MOON KNIGHT (2016) #1-14.
320 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99
ISBN: 978-1-302-91285-7
Trim size: oversized

There is some shameless double-dipping from Marvel here, but getting Adventures of Phoenix & Cyclops in OHC form with that Gene Ha art is too good to miss!

X-MEN: THE WEDDING OF CYCLOPS & PHOENIX HC
Written by FABIAN NICIEZA, BOB HARRAS, ROY THOMAS, SCOTT LOBDELL, GLENN HERDLING,
KURT BUSIEK & MORE
Penciled by ANDY KUBERT, RICHARD BENNETT, LIAM SHARP, STEVE EPTING, DAVE ROSS,
JOHN ROMITA JR., DWAYNE TURNER, ARON WIESENFELD, MIKE MCKONE, IAN CHURCHILL,
RON RANDALL, GENE HA & MORE
Cover by ANDY KUBERT
Wedding bells are ringing for the most star-crossed super hero couple of all: Scott Summers and Jean Grey! But there’s a ton of action to go with the romance as the X-Men and Avengers must keep Magneto’s Acolytes from destroying Genosha, the mutant-killing Legacy Virus hits close to home, and Professor X decides to rehabilitate the monster known as Sabretooth! But love conquers all when Jean and Scott tie the knot at last — before a mind-bending honeymoon to the far future, where they must raise Cyclops’ long-lost son and overthrow the planet-conquering Apocalypse! Collecting X-MEN (1991) #26-35, AVENGERS (1963) #368-369, AVENGERS WEST COAST #101, UNCANNY X-MEN (1981) #307-310, CABLE (1993) #6-8, X-MEN UNLIMITED (1993) #3, UNCANNY X-MEN ANNUAL (1992) #18, X-MEN: THE WEDDING ALBUM, WHAT IF? (1989) #60, ADVENTURES OF CYCLOPS AND PHOENIX #1-4 and material from MARVEL VALENTINE SPECIAL.
832 PGS./Rated T …$125.00
ISBN: 978-1-302-91322-9

Though the price takes the mick!

Over on Image books, ones on my hitlist:

New Kick-Ass Volume 1 in Sept. Moonshine Volume 2 is there too.

Deadly Class OHC2 hits in Oct, might give the first one a go now.

Gideon Falls Volume 1, Copperhead Volume 5, Death or Glory Volume 1 hit in November, as does WicDiv OHC3, plus Injection OHC1

Definitely will be picking up that Moon Knight OHC.

Damn tempting…

EARTH X TRILOGY OMNIBUS: ALPHA HC
Written by JIM KRUEGER & ALEX ROSS
Penciled by JOHN PAUL LEON, BILL REINHOLD, DOUG BRAITHWAITE, BRENT ANDERSON, BUTCH GUICE,
JOHN ROMITA SR., JOHN STANISCI, THOMAS YEATES, RON RANDALL & ALEX ROSS
NEW Cover ART by ALEX ROSS
Comic-art master Alex Ross offers his dark vision of the Marvel Universe’s future — together with writer Jim Krueger, and artists John Paul Leon and Doug Braithwaite! The saga begins in a world where everyone has super-powers — and Reed Richards sets out to cure a calamity he fears he may have caused. Meanwhile, a battle-weary Captain America struggles to defeat a horrific new enemy of freedom, and Celestial forces beyond comprehension threaten a fate that only the Watcher suspects. Could it be that Earth itself is doomed — or can a new generation of heroes, including the legendary Mar-Vell reborn, save humanity? Brace yourself for bold reimaginings of the Avengers, X-Men, Inhumans, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and more! Collecting EARTH X #0-12, #1/2, #X, EPILOGUE and SKETCHBOOK; and UNIVERSE X #0-12, #X, 4, SPIDEY, CAP, BEASTS, IRON MEN and OMNIBUS.
1,304 PGS./Rated T+ …$125.00
ISBN: 978-1-302-91317-5

So, what’s left for the second Omnibus, aside from Paradise X?

The ultimate double dip?

Probably a tonne of back matter from the earth x companion trade (see my photo)

Some more old trade re-read thoughts

Exiles: Point Of No Return
I think everyone probably has one comic that they loved and which was cruelly ended far too early for their liking. This is probably the biggest one for me. Jeff Parker’s revival of Exiles is excellent in the way it balances the need to be a fresh start for a new audience without screwing over the original series and its fans. He assembles a new team of Exiles which includes Blink, who, anyone familiar with the original series will quickly realise from fairly subtle clues, is “our” Blink, playing dumb as part of this new team to steer and guide them. Morph is recast as the Timebroker for this new team, which somewhat hammers home the connection to the original book, but if you’re unfamiliar with that, he just seems like a wacky taskmaster.
Parker assembles a nice team of slightly alternate X-Men (and the Black Panther) and throws them into some interesting alternate realities. It’s impressive how quickly the book hits a nice groove, the only flaw being perhaps how much the realities are explained and rationalised in their differences from the norm.
But then it’s cruelly curtailed with the sixth issue, where Parker is at least able to hurriedly execute the end of his long term plan, drawing in more elements from the original series and giving a decent sense of closure to the new guys.
The trade gets bonus points for including scripts for aborted future issues, which have some cool alternate realities (one where the various Marvel pantheons prevented industrial scale science in the 19th century, leading magic to dominate for instance) and a longer running arc with the imposter Wanda. Such a shame.

Resurrection Man: Dead Again
And then, almost in opposition to Exiles is New 52 Resurrection Man. When the New 52 was announced, I don’t think anyone was expecting a new Resurrection Man, but I sure was happy. It even had the original writing team, Abnett and Lanning! And yet…
The writing is a bit flat through-out here. It doesn’t quite achieve the same charm and immediacy as the original series. This isn’t helped by an oddly disjointed story break from issue 4 to 5, where Mitch is seemingly killed by an angel trying to claim his soul, only for him to somehow end up being admitted to Arkham Asylum. This isn’t explained and we don’t see the angel, the Body Doubles who were also chasing him and the rando super-villain guy he’d befriended again (in this volume at least). There’s no mention of them at all. Mitch is just off and away on other tangents and it feels oddly sloppy for DnA.
But what really doesn’t work (for me at least), and this feels emblematic of the New 52 generally, is that this is a complete reboot of the character. The original Resurrection Man series explored various parts of Mitch’s history and did answer some questions about him. But there was still plenty left to go over, enough to frame this new series around, with the stuff from the past series simply mentioned, when needed, as backstory. Instead, it’s a complete do-over with liberal changes: Mitch ran the company responsible for creating his tektites, worked with Hooker (his nemesis from the 90s run) and employed the Body Doubles, who are now able to constantly heal themselves (which isn’t a bad addition). Most of those aren’t really improvements and the Body Doubles end up quite bland compared to their original versions.
None of this is helped by the art, which is credited to Fernando Dagnino. I have my doubts about that, as his work varies heavily between pages, let alone issues. There are odd lapses of continuity (for instance, the Body Doubles use an instantaneous teleporter and somehow Carla’s hair gets put in pig-tails and Bonnie gains her glasses between disappearing and reappearing, Mitch is suddenly fully dressed between panels with no chance to go find clothes), which have me suspicious that it’s actually being done by a studio and credited under one name.
Regardless, Dagnino’s work is far from stellar. He draws nice characters, but his story-telling is obtuse at times, his panel layouts needlessly baroque and there seem to be misunderstandings (due to language barriers?) of the script at times. Still, the modern redesign of Mitch is pretty good.
This is a real missed opportunity and I can see why it didn’t keep an audience to survive long-term.

Doctor Who: The Forgotten
There were two selling points for this when it started in 2008 - it was a multi-Doctor story of sorts, a novelty for the time, and it had art by Pia Guerra from Y The Last Man.
Unfortunately Guerra was only able to do the first couple of issues (I think due to health issues, I can’t remember) and the replacement artists don’t match up. The first one is especially bad and even gets snarked at by the script for drawing the 4th Doctor’s scarf too short.
Writer Tony Lee does a clever job starting with the IDW standard of 10th Doctor and Martha and then gradually revealing the inconsistencies of that with where the show was at the time, which works well. He also gets the voices of the previous Doctors and companions down suitably. Unfortunately, the episodic nature of the flashbacks feels a bit humdrum and when, near the end the faux-Martha TARDIS projection goes into “shuffle” of previous companions, it all becomes a bit of a banal nostalgia by numbers piece. Still, there are some fun ideas in here and the 8th and 9th Doctor elements are especially interesting in light of later retcons to those eras by the TV show.

Lemire’s Moon Knight is good then is it? His non-company work is one of my favourite catalogues out of any creator in comics, but the X-Men and Hawkeye stuff I read hovered at a level of being just decent.

Very good. I’m not a particular fan of his but I was really impressed by Moon Knight - it’s a cleverly put-together book that also has real heart and soul, and the artwork is brilliant (and uses guest-artists very smartly in several places).

I like the sound of this, decided the way to go about it is to borrow or buy a cheap second hand floppy issue as a tryout.

Dealer Alert

Letter 44: Volume 6: The End - Books Etc - £10.86

George Perez’ Sirens OHC - Books Etc - £14.39

This without a doubt merits the OHC treatment

I read Resurrection Man the wrong way round, started reading it with the Nu52 and then bought all the old ones in a digital sale on the cheap.

I agree the first run was much better. I wonder if the lacklustre feel of the second run stems a little from the failing working relationship between them, is it the last work they did together? It’s not bad which is why I kept reading it but as you say it lacked direction.

It’s not quite the last - they did New Mutants together around the same time and bit after and I think their pseudo-Guardians series for BOOM too. But it’s certainly tail-end.

Leaving Megalopolis: Volume 2: Surviving Megalopolis

I’d forgotten this had come out last year. I was also a little wary given how the first volume ended. The first volume was, on the whole, excellent, it only weakened on the ending. Then I also remembered what that first volume really needed, more than anything - continuation. About two and a half years later, it got that and the result? Very, very good.

That Books Etc were flogging the volume for just over a tenner didn’t hurt either.

Like the first one, this volume takes aim at all manner of targets, superheroic and not. The way Colonel Culver’s committee testimony concludes is very, very sharp and quite, quite excellent. It picks up events from the first volume and builds on them further or ties them off in very satisfying fashion. It also has a very neat take on the “the supervillains will save us” idea, here’s a hint: No, they won’t. It also lays the seeds for a potentially far more ambitious story and hopefully, Simone and Calafiore will get around to doing that.

All in all? Superb stuff.

Hachette seem to have a few new Marvel trade listings and, well, if you were betting against a return of the FF, you might want to say goodbye to your money now. As well as all the omnibuses in the most recent solicits, there’s:

Hickman Complete Collection 1: https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/none/fantastic-four-by-jonathan-hickman-the-complete-collection-vol-1/9781302913366/

World’s Greatest Comic Magazine: https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/none/fantastic-four-the-worlds-greatest-comic-magazine/9781302913373/

Human Torch and the Thing in Strange Tales Complete Collection: https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/none/the-human-torch-the-thing-strange-tales-the-complete-collection/9781302913342/

Thing and Human Torch by Slott: https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/none/the-thing-the-human-torch-by-dan-slott/9781302913359/ (that’s his Thing solo series with spidey/torch mini)

Heroes Reborn: https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/none/heroes-reborn-fantastic-four/9781302913335/ :joy:

Coming of Galactus Epic: https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/none/fantastic-four-epic-collection-the-coming-of-galactus/9781302913311/

Marvel Two-In-One Epic Collection!: https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/none/marvel-two-in-one-epic-collection-cry-monster/9781302913328/

And then a few non-FF things.

Secret Invasion omnibus: https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/none/secret-invasion-by-brian-michael-bendis-omnibus/9781302912154/

Another 90s DD Epic: https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/none/daredevil-epic-collection-root-of-evil/9781302912581/

Marvel Knights team book collection: https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/none/marvel-knights-defenders-of-the-streets/9781302912130/

And confirmation of the post-Bendis Miles writer? https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/jason-reynolds/miles-morales-spider-man/9781484788509/ (No idea if Jason Reynolds has already been announced for that or if it’s not the main title).