millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Talking of deals…

Dealer Alert

Some of these went active today, others have been active a bit longer and I don’t think they’ll go lower:

Bendis Iron Man OHC -Books Etc - £20.12

Shadows on the Grave HC - Books Etc - £11.56

Action Comics Deluxe 2 - Books Etc - £17.49

Brandon Sanderson’s White Sand Volume 2 HC - Books Etc - £14.73

Trent: Volume 2: The Kid - Books Etc - £4.81

Laureline & Valerian: Volume 22: Memories from the Future - Books Etc - £5.31

I’ve went for volume 1 of
El Niño
Bouncer
Cape Horn

And both volumes of Olympus

Appreciate the recommendations

When you say ‘volume’ were they doing them as individual albums?

As Cape Horn and El Nino are slow burners. I really like where each went but read each as a complete set.

Similarly, Bouncer was about 3 stories told in sets of 2-3 albums.

Individual albums yeah…do you think maybe £1.99 is not such a great price in this case?

I check and I have volume 1 of metabarons on my comixology already, I think I maybe picked up in an older sale after reading your comments on it

£1.99 for an individual album of about 48-56 pages a time is a bargain no matter how you slice it.

I just wonder if there’s enough to hook you on those long-form works in the first album on its own.

Will see how it goes - hopefully it should give me a flavour of whether I want to read on

Sometimes you really shouldn’t go looking for stuff…

Dealer Alert

American Gods: Volume 1: Shadows HC - Book Depository - £13.36

Yep, a 9-issue hardback for under £14. Like I’m going to say no to that…

Jimmy’s Bastards: Volume 1: Trigger Warning

Hmm, this is… OK. It’s pretty much Ennis on fumes doing nothing you won’t have read before but that’s still reasonably entertaining. Plus this was a cheap buy.

The bigger problem is that this team is capable of more. Just as the recent Section 8 miniseries was OK, but no match for the material it was a sequel to - Hitman, so too have Ennis and Braun done far better stuff than this, with Ennis in serious mode as opposed to the scattergun gross-out comedy he goes for here.

It looks like this’ll be a 10-issue series, as this first trade is the first five. It’s not a bad book, but neither is it a great one.

Ah, shame you didn’t really enjoy it much Ben.

I thought it was a good idea and a pretty fun & funny romp - but I know Ennis humours books are quite polarising (although even I don’t like the Dicks Avatar book)

It’s both of those but it just doesn’t fly as well as it should for me.

Iron Man: War of the Iron Men and Industrial Revolution.

These two trades comprise the entirety of the Iron Man Legacy B-series from around 2011. Written by Fred Van Lente, they’re set in old bits of Iron Man continuity, something which isn’t entirely obvious from the first volume. That is only really dateable from a reference, right at the end, to Bendi’s Venom Bomb Avengers arc. Otherwise it just reads like a vaguely modern Iron Man story, one that feels a bit too reminiscent of the original Armour Wars, as it sees Tony trying to stamp out the use of weapon patents and designs stolen from him. The difference here is that rather than super-villains using it, it’s one side of a European civil war on an ethnic cleansing campaign. There’s also some Dr Doom thrown in too, which helps a bit, but ultimately it’s a fairly pedestrian story.

The second volume is more interesting, set in Tony’s drunk period from the 80s. It sees him getting involved with a homeless man in LA and being inspired to start up a company, only to run into the Pride from Runaways. It’s nice to the see the Pride woven back into past continuity like that and it all mostly works and makes sense until you get to the end when Tony calls in the Illuminati to help clear things up. I’m ambivalent to the idea of the Illuminati, but I suppose it makes sense. Trouble is, the story ends with all of them aware of the Pride and how they’ve been running LA. The Pride get carted away by the cops, but Tony makes a point of leaving a message for Wilder saying he knows they’ll all get out and he’s willing to turn a blind eye in a quid pro quo, which feels like an awkward way of wrapping up the story without disrupting both 80s Iron Man and Runaways. I kept expecting a mind-wipe and I’m not convinced that wouldn’t have been better.

Art for most of the series is provided by Steve Kurth, who’s ok in a vaguely sub-Hairsine way (so I suppose sub-sub-Hitch). The only real problem with his art is that it’s really oddly coloured, which I think stems from the inking somehow. There’s an odd sepia quality to everything, like the blacks of the inks have been tinted maybe. It’s a very strange choice.

Overall, these are perfectly readable, as you’d expect from Van Lente, but definitely more inoffensive than essential. I still would have liked to see which era he went to for a third arc though.

Score!
£42 deliverd on an$99 US Omnibus

Check and mate.

Nice one.

Everything I’ve heard says the best stuff is #5-22 or thereabouts.

Correct.

My Gaps are getting filled quite well.

Side note: I picked up my trade paperback copy of X-Tinction agenda from 1998 and it still had the NZ price sticker on it.

$59.99 NZ on a 19.99US book which in today’s price $60 NZ is $44 US or £31

No wonder comics are not big business back home it’s just ridiculously expensive.

These arrived today.

Looking forward to reading Challengers - it’s one of the few Loeb/Sale collaborations I’ve never got around to before.

Challengers of the Unknown is my absolute favorite work from them. It is not without its speed bumps, but Loeb meant for it to read like a blockbuster and it captures that to a tee. It’s a fantastic nugget of a story with brilliant character work on both sides.

The only detriment is that it was meant to prefigure an ongoing series that never developed. Damn!

I listened to one of the Kevin Smith podcast interviews with Loeb a while back, and he described how scripting it was a fairly organic process (in terms of letting Sale decide a lot in terms of layouts and panel choices), not to mention a learning process for Loeb in terms of getting to grips with how to put a comic together. It will be interesting to read it with that in mind.

Loeb is very artist-centric which is part of why I think his comics work is very variable.

His letters at the end of the individual issues were fantastic.
I don’t know if the HC collects them. But they’re well worth tracking down.

Does anybody know if Panini carried on printing the Ultimate Comics trade in the style on the right here? I was enjoying the Ultimates, X-Man, and Spider-Man series around that time and I’m curious to follow up on them again. I could just go on Marvel Unlimited, but those particular trades look really smart on the shelf, so I’d like to get hold of them if they exist.