millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

your a monster!!

I am tempted to double dip here.
have the originals but I do love a good trade

Same here.

I’ve bagged the Hellfire Hunt / Nemesis Contract trades - I get to get the best Cable runs in collected form, all in the space of six months.

I remember at the time I was super unhappy with José Ladrönn as I wasn’t really into Kirby and didn’t understand his genius but Hellfire Hunt (Click here kids! ) quickly turned me around.
It was like nothing on the shelves at the time when everyone was trying to rip of Joe Mad and the manga influence.

I was gutted when Casey and Ladrönn were pushed aside for Joe Pruett and Leifeld. Cable 75 is appalling however I spoke to Pruett at ICE comicon in Birmingham 2 years ago and he said Rob’s Father passed away at the time so the issue was reduced to being about 20 splash pages of questionable anatomy.

Good news for fans of Geof Darrow and Shaolin Cowboy:

I guess if it’s out by SDCC 2018, that means around July.

A definite buy for me - it will go nicely with the other two SC books, as well as Hard Boiled and Big Guy and Rusty, that are all in the same format. Quite a nice Darrow library altogether.

I’m guessing I should probably sell the singles now before this comes out.

No, you should have sold them a week ago before anyone knew this was coming out. :slight_smile:

Excellent news, thanks.

Honestly, what’s the point of being on a comics forum if you can’t get your memes right? :roll_eyes:

Moon Knight v.3: Birth and Death

This third and final volume of Jeff Lemire and Greg Smallwood’s Moon Knight is a bittersweet read. It’s a shame to see this great series come to an end, but everything is brought to a close so perfectly that it’s difficult to complain.

Having increasingly moved away from DC/Marvel heroes over the years in favour of stories that are more self-contained, I was pleasantly surprised to see a story that attempts to offer some kind of proper ending for a company-owned character (even if it’s an ending that necessarily leaves the door open for more adventures to come). And by combining the climax of the big Moon Knight-vs-Khonshu arc with flashbacks to the hero’s origins, there’s a pleasing circularity to the story that helps the whole 14-issue series to work as a complete standalone book, albeit one in which the end also functions as the beginning - in more ways than one.

While this third volume doesn’t feature the same virtuoso art techniques as book two (which weaved together several guest-artists to represent the many different personalities battling for dominance within Marc Spector’s mind), that ends up being a wise decision. While that made for a thrilling middle section of the story, it would have risked being a distraction as the series brings all of its threads together, and leads us towards the climactic confrontation with Khonshu.

It’s during this final section that the story was most powerful for me, as it cashes in all the credit that it has built up over the course of the series in terms of establishing Spector’s fragile mental health, and the way in which his superhero existence functions as a metaphor for his fight against his own inner demons. I won’t spoil the ending, but the way that Lemire chose to resolve this idea - and the whole story, really - is perfect for the character and also very cathartic for the reader, especially for anyone who has experience of battling their own mental health issues (or even struggling to assert control of their life in general).

Smallwood’s art is fantastic throughout, with some incredibly detailed pages rubbing shoulders against some far more experimental, abstract stuff, as well as some intricate layout choices that play with negative space in a way that really helps to establish the book’s individual identity. I also love his use of texture, especially when it comes to giving a bit of definition to the stark white characters like Mr Knight or the classic Moon Knight, both of whom really pop off the page. And Jordie Bellaire’s colours are the perfect enhancement, playing an important function as the book flits between several different locales and timeframes, as well as helping to signal Spector’s changing mental state.

This is one of the best Marvel series in recent years, and deserves to be talked about in the same conversations as Vision, Hawkeye, Ms Marvel and Waid’s Daredevil. With any luck, it’ll follow in their footsteps and get the OHC collection that it deserves. I’d definitely rebuy it in a full-series volume.

(Incidentally, on Amazon UK at the moment you can get Kindle/Comixology versions of all three trades - so all 14 issues - for just £1.44 each, so £4.32 in total. You’d be a fool to pass that up.)

I just finished reading Usagi Yojimbo Saga volume 6.The stories are as entertaining as ever, but I have to say, I was disappointed to reach the back matter and find that the story notes - which are usually extensive, very informative and insightful to Sakai’s research and process - are only a page long and refer to only three of the stories included. Instead, most of the back matter is made up of the jam issue roast of Usagi and Sakai from #100, which is… um, interesting.

Tonight’s reads:

Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe OGN

This was a fun and very clever read. The combination of North’s scatter-gun writing and Henderson’s art is very effective indeed. The only weakness is Marvel reduced the paper size down, which is a shame.

She-Hulk: Volume 2: Let Them Eat Cake

It’s a shame this series got axed before it could really get going and escape cast on it by Civil War 2. This volume started to indicate how it might do that. A well-executed exploration of the concept of monsters, it gets mixed with a pair dosing an online sensation chef with a monster drug in order to get loads of hits by putting the footage online.

Aside from the absymal quality of the trade, this was a good collection and not a bad showcase for Tamaki. In art terms, it’s a real grab-bag with three artists for the five issues, but none are bad, just different styles.

Postal: Volume 6

If you went in expecting this to be the finale, then you’ll be disappointed because it’s not. There’s still the double-sized issue #25 and two epilogue one-shots that better form a Volume 7 trade.

I’m not sure why, but this volume feels weaker than the previous ones, but may improve when read without a big gap between volumes and I’ve a better memory where things were.

Renato Jones: Season Two

Oh boy, how does a comic creator, having done an already satirical pisstake of a book respond to a world that elects President Trump? The only way he can, by flooring the gas and ramping the pisstake up to 11! And this volume does just that.

Andrews’ afterword is both revealing and excellent. The book itself makes it abundantly clear why its done. At this point, it really has nowhere else to go.

Its shotgun approach to a range of very deserving targets generally succeeds and several of its barbs really hit home, like Wealth Power fascists. Then there’s the idea of health care being restricted by economic class, if you’re poor and you want access, you have to out-bid other poor people. It feels like a story you’d find in 2000AD, sharp-edged and on the nose and it really doesn’t give a crap about being so.

Renato Jones was fun but ultimately a bit too unfocused and scattershot for me to really love it. It was an enjoyable read though, with some ballsy moments.

I’d say that’s a fair summary.

One thing I forgot to mention is I loved Andrews’ satirical adverts that cropped up across the book.

I’m certainly interested in what he does next.

Andrews has been a favourite creator of mine for a while, it’s always interesting to see what he is up to. There’s something that feels very pure and unfettered about his work.

I’m half way through the Golden Age Batman volume 2 (yes, I’m two-and-a-half volumes behind, god knows how I’ll ever catch up) and came across a story by Edmond Hamilton.

I find this very interesting, as I had thought Hamilton started writing comics in the 50s. This is from 1942. So, a cool discovery :slight_smile:

(The story, “Bandits in Toyland”, is a reasonably clever mystery. I guessed the solution almost immediately, but that might be because I’ve known other things with a similar premise – probably starting with Sherlock Holmes.)

I’ve had a huge backlog of TPBs/HCs on my shelves, so I’m finally making a dent in them this year. Here’s very quick thoughts on what I read in January (a few re-reads, but mostly new stuff):

Injection Vol. 3: Still going strong, though the overarching plot could be moving faster, especially as I’m not expecting Vol. 4 for at least a year.

Deadly Class Vol. 5-6: Not as good as the previous year, and some of the twists in these volumes felt like steps backwards rather than forwards, but I’m still on board.

Greenberg the Vampire: This book cost me €1, which still feels like too much.

I Hate Fairyland Vol. 2-3: I’m glad I saved this up to read in TPB, it works well as a binge. Still not sure how long it can be sustained, but I’m on board.

Code Monkey Save World: Fun enough mash-up of Jonathan Coulton songs.

Chrononauts: Murphy’s art is great, but the story did nothing for me. It doesn’t take itself (or the rules of time-travel in its world) seriously enough to be a drama and isn’t funny enough to be a comedy. I didn’t like either of the main characters; I think they’re supposed to be charming, but things like Corbin needing a white board to keep track of the most basic facts about his dozen girlfriends across time and space just make him look like a prick. I think a movie could work, but it would need as much retooling as the rest of Millar’s movies did.

4 Kids Walk Into A Bank: Best mini-series I’ve read in years. Brilliant art by Tyler Boss (it reminds me a lot of David Aja, while still doing its own thing), and an excellent story by Matthew Rosenberg. Dark, while still being funny and with some great characters. Very glad I read this.

East of West Vol. 6-7: I’ve no idea what’s happening in this book a lot of the time, but I’m still enjoying it.

Velvet Vol. 2-3: Some of the plot twists got predictably convoluted, but I enjoyed it a lot. I hope there’s more someday.

Chew Vol. 11-12: Probably should have ended a year or two earlier, but a decent ending, and I look forward to re-reading the whole thing someday.

Extremity Vol. 1: Great start to a new series from Daniel Warren Johnson. Looking forward to Vol. 2.

Elektra by Blackman and del Mundo Vol. 1-2: Great Mike del Mundo art, but the story is very forgettable.

Motor Crush Vol. 1: Lovely art, but the story feels a bit too generic. I’ll probably pick up Vol. 2 in TPB though.

Journey into Mystery Featuring Sif, Vol. 1: Also cost €1, but I enjoyed it enough that I bought Vol. 2 in digital right after.

Secret Avengers by Kot and Walsh Vol. 1-3: One of my favourite Avengers runs ever. Fun, exciting, a good story, great art, and almost entirely self-contained.

Lazarus Vol. 1-5: One of my favourite ongoing series. I’ll probably even pick up the sourcebook collection.

Adventure Time Vol. 6-7: Not the best of the run, but still fun. I should catch up on this.

So as I’ve said previously I finally received my comic collection from NZ and have been filling a few gaps over the last 8 years of trades and omnibus.

Now I’m a big Marvel guy and I’ve gotten most of what I place in the “Big Event,Must Have” category

X-Men Second Coming Trade (I had single issues before I left to travel)
Hickmans Secret warriors,
AVX,
X-sanction (I love Cable don’t look at me that way)
Remenders Uncanny X-Force Omnibus (£170 ouch)
Remenders Secret Avengers trades
Hickman Avenger vol 1 Omnibus
Infinity
Age Of Ultron
AXIS
Original Sin
Vision

Now I cant think of any x-men story worth while buying in trade since AVX
I kind of want X-Men Schism as it points towards wolverine reopening the school for continuity reasons for my “Library” but I cant think of anything else that has had an impact since.
X-Men: Battle of the Atom might be the only one but in my book it doesn’t matter.
Same with Death of X and Inhumans v X-men.

I know my tastes aren’t the same as everyones but I feel those could be ignored as they have zero lasting impact aside from Cyclops got sick and died.

Secret Empire and Civil War 2 are in the same boat for me.

yup Im old an cynical but what trades (especially hardcover and omnibus) am I missing

NB: Waiting for Jason Arrons Thor to be Omnibus.

I read Schism the last time I went to catch up on the x-books, and felt it was an utterly pointless story in a run of not terrible at worst but quite good on average events. It felt like the most contrived set of circumstances that would never have normally gotten the kind of reaction they did from Cyclops and Wolverine

Get the upcoming Wolverine Goes to Hell Omnibus in May.