millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Hey, this sounds really cool. I hadn’t even heard of this comic before (showing that plenty of good comics slip through the cracks) but I’m very tempted to check it out now.

As for it being a standalone, the Image website says that it’s an ongoing and it looks like more than five issues have been released.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/mirror-1

Oh cool, I had no idea. There wasn’t a “Vol. 1” anywhere on the book so I figured it was all over. I guess that indicates how satisfying the conclusion to the first arc is! :smile:

There’s definitely a lot of room for the story to keep going. Couldn’t be happier, thanks man!

£34 with postage from FP. Worth a go I thought.

First of all… any other fans of Sam Kieth’s “The Maxx” out there?? That was my first foray into anything that wasn’t Marvel or DC. I first discovered it through the animated series on MTV, then quickly sought out all the comics. It’s still one of my favorites to this day.

Anyways, I saw some solicits online for a Maxx Compendium that would publish the whole series (it only ran 35 issues) in one volume. The publication date was listed as December, 2017. Obviously that date has come and gone, and I can’t find it for sale anywhere. I also can’t find any references to it being delayed or canceled. Anyone have any inside info??

(I also remember reading an interview with Sam Kieth a few years ago, when they started releasing the re-colored “Maxx Maxximized” reprints, saying that he had plans to release some material that had been cut from some of the issues and re-order a few things to put them in their proper sequence. No idea if that was going to actually happen in this Compendium but I feel like if he was going to do it anywhere this would be it…!)

https://www.bookdepository.com/Maxx-Compendium-Sam-Keith/9781684050284 - just lists it as “unavailable,” but with a December 2017 publication date

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/APR178417 - says “in shops December 2017” but no image and no details

Exciting times. The book binder just sent me a couple of images of my Transformers custom omnibus books. When they arrive I’ll post full pics.

Talking of Rios, did Pretty Deadly ever conclude?

Very nice!

Those look great. I’ve thought about creating custom trades for a couple of the (very few) runs I still have in floppies, but I’ve never taken the plunge.

Nothing since #10 back in 2016.

Ouch. Thanks for the info.

I think Rios and DeConnick work on Pretty Deadly when their schedules align. DeConnick’s obviously got a lot of projects going on but Rios now has Mirror and for a while she was co-editing the comics magazine Island with Brandon Graham. A GN she did called I.D. (definitely worth checking out) coincided with that time period, too.

Just noticed that Amazon UK are running one of their semi-regular offers where you can get £10 off a £50 order with the code BIGTHANKS.

It’s valid for today only, but you can use it for pre-orders, so it’s perfect for (say) the Morrison Batman omnibus, which comes down from £50.16 to £40.16.

If you’ve got any big books on the horizon for which Amazon is offering a reasonably competitive price, it might be worth a look. (The Seven Soldiers omnibus is around £47, so add something small on to make it up to £50 and you’ll make a decent saving on that too.)

Thanks for the info. I used it to pick up the two WicDiv OHCs.

Thanks for the tip-off Dave - used it on a pile of DVD sets.

James Bond: Vargr & James Bond: Eidolon

I checked out these Bond collections by Warren Ellis and Jason Masters as part of a recent Dynamite sale, and I’m very happy that I did. Not only are they great Bond stories, but they’re also great comics in their own right: a pair of six-issue story arcs that serve up a fresh take on Bond that draws on the best elements of lots of different versions of the character, while also playing to the strengths of comics to give us sequences that are as thrilling for their visual inventiveness as for the action they depict.

Kicking off with a gritty and largely wordless action scene that acts as a ‘pre-credits sequence’ to draw us into the story, Vargr deliberately throws us off-balance in its early stages by playing down the super-suave Hollywood version of Bond in favour of a far more workmanlike and practical take.

This is a Bond who we see having lunch with colleagues in a cafeteria; a Bond who isn’t always able to circumvent petty bureaucracy that hinders his ability to do his job; a Bond who feels a lot more human and fallible than the version we know from the movies. It’s also a Bond who is a little closer to Fleming’s ‘blunt instrument’ than movie-goers will be used to, and it gives the book a certain simplicity and heft that ends up working very well.

Having said that, Ellis weaves an interesting story that’s full of big ideas and larger-than-life characters who wouldn’t be out of place in a Bond movie (and he chucks in a few one-liners and elaborate-trap situations to match). But it’s anchored by a take on Bond himself that feels slightly more grounded and a little more serious and businesslike, which helps to keep the story focused on the core plot - which involves a medical entrepreneur, a dangerous new drug that’s hitting the UK streets, and a series of misdirects about exactly who or what ‘Vargr’ is.

Masters is an initially-unassuming artist who ends up pulling off a cracking job, not least because he and Ellis save their best and most visually-inventive work for the climax of the story, building up from fairly standard layouts and storytelling techniques in the early stages to stuff that’s a lot more daring and unconventional towards the end.

These three pages show the kind of thing I’m talking about. While it could be quite straightforward to show Bond infiltrating a facility, or taking out a series of bad guys, or placing explosives, these layouts accomplish those things in a less conventional and much more compelling way that makes you really sit up and take notice:

As with a lot of recent Ellis work, those pages show just how determined he is to let the art do the talking when necessary, with Masters often handling action scenes that are completely ‘silent’, and all the more powerful for it.

And Eidolon is just as good, this time pitting MI6 in conflict with MI5 - and other international security agencies - as part of a plot in which the real hero is forensic accounting (yes, really).

It’s a story that works better when you don’t know much about it, but suffice it to say that Ellis throws in plenty of enjoyable detail regarding inter-agency bickering, secret UK contingency plans for a technological apocalypse, and classic-feeling pulp archetypes (including a disenfranchised ex-agent), creating a story that - like ‘Vargr’ - would serve perfectly well as a blueprint for a modern Bond movie, but which excels as a comic.

Again, there are clever techniques used (including one showstopping flashback-within-a-flashback) that help to make the story more than just a good action-espionage romp - this is a great comic in its own right, and one that’s well worth checking out even if you’re not a particular Bond fan.

Transformers custom binds arrived. Here’s what I got.

Volume 1
Orion Pax
Thundercracker
Wheelie
Drift
LSoTW 1-5
Megatron
TF 22-23
Bumblebee
Death of Optimus Prime
More Than Meets the Eye #1-3
Robots in Disguise #1-5
More Than Meets the Eye #4-5
Spotlight: Hoist
Spotlight: Trailcutter

Volume 2
Robots in Disguise #6-10
More Than Meets the Eye #6-8
More Than Meets the Eye Annual
Robots in Disguise Annual
More Than Meets the Eye #9-11
Robots in Disguise #11-16
More Than Meets the Eye #12-16

Volume 3
Robots in Disguise #17-22
More Than Meets the Eye #17-22
Dark Cybertron #1 – Part 1
More Than Meets the Eye #23 – Part 2
Robots in Disguise #23 – Part 3
More Than Meets the Eye #24 – Part 4
Robots in Disguise #24 – Part 5
More Than Meets the Eye #25 – Part 6
Robots in Disguise #25 – Part 7
More Than Meets the Eye #26 – Part 8
Robots in Disguise #26 – Part 9
More Than Meets the Eye #27 – Part 10
Robots in Disguise #27 – Part 11
Dark Cybertron Finale – Part 12
Windblade #1-4

Volume 4
More Than Meets the Eye #28-32
Robots in Disguise #28-32
More Than Meets the Eye #33-38
Robots in Disguise #33-34
Transformers #35-38
More Than Meets the Eye #39-40
Drift – Empire of Stone #1-4 28

Volume 5
Punishment
More Than Meets the Eye #41-44
The Transformers #39
Windblade (volume 2) #1
The Transformers #40
Windblade (volume 2) #2
The Transformers #41
Windblade (volume 2) #3
Transformers 42
Windblade (volume 2) #4 – Epilogue
Combiner Hunters (NOTE: Combiner Wars Fallout)
Transformers #43-44
Windblade (volume 2) #5-7
Sins of the Wreckers #1-5

Really please with these. Great production all round. I’m especially pleased with how the back covers came out. I got a bit lazy with the contents page design but it was somewhat of a rush job. However, still pleased.

The binds are super good in terms of there being pretty much zero gutter loss and they can be laid flat due to being glued and sewn.

One of the attractions of custom binding is that you can play around with the reading order and I think I’ve got it nailed down better than the official IDW collections.

Those look excellent.

These two really sold me the idea of: James Bond, Bastard.

Hammerhead, Black Box and Felix Leiter have been good reads too.

Thanks, I might check those out at some point.

I wasn’t a fan of Hammerhead; I saw the reveal of the villain coming from halfway through the first issue and the rest felt fairly standard. Felix Leiter was a lot of fun.

I’ve enjoyed the Service, Moneypenny, and Solstice one-shots too, and will probably get the upcoming one on M.