millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Unfortunately it seems to have shot up from the £80-ish level you could get it for before Christmas. I can’t see anywhere that has it for less than £120 at the moment.

You failed to heed the advice of the Trades Thread, now you will, literally, pay for your failure.

Four reads this week.

After thoroughly enjoying Superman and admittedly thinking Action is pretty rubbish, buoyed on by praise on this board, I decided to give Super Sons vol 1 a go. Unfortunately it did not live up to the hype and although not bad was the epitome of a read-once-never-again book. Art was nice if a little too cartoony but the writing was such a drop off from Tomasi’s usual standard. Next up was the new Darth Vader book by Soule and Camuncoli. Again I had heard good things and again it failed to live up to expectations. I’m yet to read a Soule book I thought was better than good and that trend continues. In fact, this isn’t even ‘just’ good, it’s pretty poor. Vader behaving not like Vader, a plot that revolves around a jedi who has fled due to not wanting to fight but in fact actually instigates a fight and a sublot so dumb (we’re lead to believe Vader started with a green crystal in his lightsaber but forced it to turn red with the power of the dark side. Ugh) it had me groaning. I also wasn’t a fan of the art.

I moved onto Captain Phasma which was much better. It doesn’t really do anything to expand on the character but at least the writing from Kelly Thonpson, who I like, was competent and art was always going to be great from the best current Star Wars artist Marco Chechetto. Rounding out the weeks reads was Star Wars vol 6. This is easily the best of the series so far, which from my point of view isn’t saying much as the previous 5 volumes have ranged from mediocre to turd. It features 5 done-in-one stories that have a very minor last page link to the next one. Lando and Sana on the scam, Han smuggling a Hutt and R2 on a rescue mission are the highlights but overall I enjoyed all the stories. Good stuff. The only downside is the poorly written Jason Latour tale from the annual.

Picked up the Vision hardcover yesterday. Haven’t had a chance to look it over yet. :cry:

That Vision book looks incredible. I love that Marvel seems to be going the extra mile in making that an evergreen book that stays in print forever and becomes part of the must-read canon.

I finally read the first trade of the Goddamned this week. Well that was great. It was the combination of Savage Sword of Conan and the Old Testament that I never knew I needed. Wow, was it dark though.

It’s certainly a nice change of pace from their typical trades, which are terrible.

They really are. I got the Cage! trade as a Christmas gift. It’s basically a floppy.

That’s cute that you think they’ll keep it in print. :wink:

Heh, DC probably would but Marvel?

Pulled out a couple of old Ultimate minis for a reread in the last couple of days.

They’ve actually aged pretty well. Ultimate War is a decent Ultimates-vs-X-Men story that feels more like a part of Millar’s UXM run than Ultimates, but it still uses the Ultimates well. The build-up to the teams’ conflict is handled nicely - Magneto’s return is suitably chilling, not least due to Chris Bachalo’s weird exaggerated take on the character - and we get some fun match-ups in the big action finale (Thor v Storm, Colossus v Iron Man etc.). Its weakness is that it’s pretty inconclusive, leading directly into the big UXM story that closed out Millar’s run, but even when viewed as just a bit of extra Ultimates to accompany the main run, this is an enjoyable comic.

Ultimate Six is maybe ever better, largely due to the way Bendis plays up the political angles of his story and makes Norman Osborn’s big jailbreak/revenge plot into a slightly more morally-ambiguous act than might be expected, dragging Nick Fury into some highly dodgy territory when it comes to the superhuman arms race. But it’s also highly entertaining in terms of spectacle - there are loads of great action scenes (with some of the best Trevor Hairsine art that I’ve seen) - as well as some great touches of Bendis humour. And the characterisation and tone of the Ultimates sticks pleasingly close to that established by Millar and Hitch.

Neither is what I’d call an essential comic, but both are entertaining reads in the widescreen/blockbuster mould. Ultimate Six especially has made me wonder again about the possibilities of a super-villain-oriented movie for Marvel Studios: with a team dynamic as interesting as the one we get here, and the heroes played more as supporting characters in the story, I think it could work.

I have fond memories of both of those, and Ellis’ Ultimate Nightmare too.

Ultimate War is one of my favorite Millar comics. It’s tight but epic and has that fantastic, ultra-cool Bachalo art. I first read it when I was in middle school and remember thinking it was so cool that Captain America knew Wolverine’s real name (James Howlett, not Logan) from the war.

Which is why they include it in the Ultimate X-Men Ultimate Collections (what a name) rather than any respective Ultimates one.
I thought it was fun. Wolverine on his motorbike versus the helicopter was the best bit of Wolverine Origins but surrounded by a good story instead.
Early-2000s Marvel might be my favourite Millar period (so far), and all of those major books simultaneously defined Marvel for me too. It’s a shame because they don’t seem to make many comics like that anymore, at least not that I’ve read.
How long do we have to wait before we move onto 2000s nostalgia and get another “widescreen” movement in comics?

Yes, I was thinking of giving Nightmare another look soon too. The other parts of the Ultimate Galactus trilogy - Ultimate Secret and Ultimate Extinction - fell a bit flat (from memory), but I loved Nightmare.

I liked all three, although Nightmare was the most solid, but everything with Ultimate Captain Marvel and the Ultimate Fantastic Four just hit all the right spots for me.

I think the art change halfway through Secret bugged me a bit (McNiven’s Ultimate Captain Marvel was just so good), and Extinction felt like almost all buildup and no payoff. I think it was cut from six issues to five halfway through, which probably didn’t help.

The art really does peak with McNiven, and the ending is a blunt stop. It’s not perfect but as a whole I think it did the whole “blockbuster” Ultimates arc than anyone else ever managed to do after Ultimates and Ultimates 2.

I hope Jude Law is influenced by Ult. Captain Marvel.

Was Secret the first part? With the underground mutated supersoldiers?

No, that was Nightmare with the Russian facility. Then Secret, then Extinction.

Hairsine is pretty good in Nightmare too. I almost bought one of his pages from the first issue a while back.