millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

The MU credits are terrible and therefore searching by creator is very tough. The methodology used with these collections might be an attempt to not offend - if it’s a hard rule that all names are listed (writer first) in order of the stories as they appear in the trade, it avoids, for example, having to make the call on who is listed first first between two writers who contributed the same number of issues/pages to the collection.

That’s fair, I can see some logic to the order in the Epic collection at least.

That’s the thing, though. Wright wrote the 2 annuals (and not even all the stories contained inside them). Peter David’s on the cover for his Hulk annual, but not Mike Baron or Jim Starlin for theirs (Punisher and Surfer). Bagley gets a cover credit for the short story he drew, but not Gerry Conway, who wrote the short. It’s really bizarre.

75% of the book is Nocenti and Romita, it makes the most sense from a business and clarity standpoint to highlight their names. The Panther’s Rage Epic TP cover left off Stan and Jack (I think it’s safe to say they’re bigger names than Greg Wright :stuck_out_tongue: ) even though their 2 issues are printed before McGregor/Graham/Buckler’s Jungle Action stories.

I think Gar hit the nail on the head that it’s someone who doesn’t know comics that well making the call, at least on some of the books.

If that’s the original cover rather than credits being put on the cover art in the trade, it’s worth noting that Marvel were very iffy about putting creator names on the covers of comics in the 90s unless they thought it’d make the book a collector’s item.

It’s the credits on the trade.

I can see the argument both ways - this is known as the Nocenti/JRjr run, but lots of other people worked on the issues collected here too.

The best solution I can see would be to credit Nocenti and JRjr most prominently, and then give the others a with… credit, or something similar. And be consistent in crediting all writers and artists in the collection, if that’s what they’re choosing to do.

Ah, poor reading comprehension on my part - I misread “David’s on the cover for his annual”.

The original second HC volume of The Authority (collecting issues 13 through 29) listed Millar, Quitely, and Nguyen on the cover – but no mention of writers Tom Peyer or Doselle Young, or artists Art Adams, Chris Weston or Gary Erskine. Peyer wrote the four issues that Nguyen drew, so why was his name not included next to the artist?

Yeah, credits are crazy.

I remember being impressed by Bendis asking Marvel to change the credits on the first omnibus of his Daredevil run so that Maleev was credited alongside him.

That’s what they tend to do on the contents pages inside. I can why they wouldn’t bother for the front cover.

Dealer Alert

With SpeedyHen’s inactive preorder price for this hitting £27.17, a price only Books Etc might undercut, FP’s 40% offer just became very attractive:

£26.99 + £1 postage - £27.99

EDIT: Looks like Cinebook are translating a second story cycle for The Last Templar. The first was a fun read so I’ll give this a go:

The Last Templar: Volume 5: The Devil’s Handiwork - Books Etc - £4.81

Talking of Euro-comics, there looks to be a second cycle for Carthago but will be a long time before Humanoids release a trade, as only two albums appear to have been done and I don’t know how many are in the cycle. Still good to know of.

Some nice pics of the new Vision OHC, out this week.

Looking forward to this one arriving - apparently it has more than 100 pages of extra material from the ‘Director’s Cut’ reprints, which I never saw.

That’s some fantastic design work.

Dealer Alert

You want this, don’t you? Yes, I can feel your desire swelling. Take your Jedi bank card, purchase it forthwith, you dumb jackanape and your soul will belong to the Caged Demonwolf!

Kill or be Killed Volume 3 - Books Etc - £9.28

I highly recommend Black Bolt Vol. 1: Hard Time by Christian Ward & Saladin Ahmed. The premise is that Black Bolt wakes up powerless in an ancient Inhuman prison in which he meant to imprison his evil brother Maximus. The prison was supposed to be empty but instead, it’s teeming with prisoners from all around the galaxy, including Crusher Creel, the Absorbing Man. The warden, only known as the Jailer, delights in killing the prisoners and resurrecting them over and over. Black Bolt has to put aside his narrow ideas about crime and justice to team up with Creel and other prisoners to try and escape.

Overall it’s strong stuff. Ahmed, the writer, comes from the SFF prose world but he’s a pretty natural fit for comics. He doesn’t overwrite and knows when to let Ward’s vibrant, explosively colorful artwork speak for itself.

The fourth issue (there are six collected) shows Creel telling his life story to Black Bolt as they’re slowly dying in one of the Jailer’s death traps. It’s the strongest chapter of the book, one of those issues that takes a minor character and turns you into a lifelong fan. Throughout the arc, Ahmed cleverly contrasts Creel’s working-class background and jaded but insightful perspective on how the world works against Black Bolt’s noble but simplistic worldview, shaped by a royal upbringing.

The plot machinations can sometimes be a little too simple (better simple than needlessly complex, though) and Ward’s art can struggle with facial expression and giving the prison a defined sense of space, but those weaknesses are more than compensated for by the book’s strengths. Mostly, I just really appreciate the sincerity with which Ahmed and Ward approach the book. They take their dark premise seriously and don’t undermine it with incessant humor, which is an approach Marvel overapplies these days. Which isn’t to say there aren’t any jokes–they’re just restrained to Creel’s wiseass sense of humor, making them all the more effective.

Inspired by @Lorcan_Nagle’s posts I decided to reread Akira for the first time in years and just this moment finished it. Technically it’s absolutely fucking gorgeous. Breathtakingly so on a regular basis. Storywise/storytelling… Intense doesn’t even begin to describe it. I blasted through all 2000+ pages in three days which probably added to that. It’s overwhelming at times and left my head reeling (through the intensity of it, not because I didn’t know what was happening!)’

I really don’t have words to describe the experience. “Grand”, “tense”, “epic”… they all fall well short. I think calling it “an experience” will have to suffice.

Seriously, cheers Lorcan for planting the idea to read it again!

I was thinking I still need to post about book 6 and Akira Club. Maybe tomorrow…

I’m looking forward to reading your thoughts about that. I’ve just got the six Dark Horse phonebook collections. What, in a nutshell, is Akira Club.

It’s an art book/behind-the-scenes book with a load of extra material that’s not in the phonebooks - individual covers from the initial Japanese serialisation, art process stuff, notes on how the story was rejigged in places for the collected editions, stuff like that. It’s a great book and a bit of a treasure-trove for Akira fans.

Aaw man, I still need to buy the anniversary box set. Does anybody know where the going price is good?

I paid full retail from my LCS, because I love them (And they do layaway, so I could pay it off over 3 months)