millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Again, and again, and again …

The latest instalment of the Judge Dress Complete Case Files arrived today. Interesting to note it’s only taken them til the 29th book in this series to realise putting page numbers in might be quite useful.

I would so buy that comic

That’s so good I’m not even going to go back and edit my original post.

Still irked they also screwed the Azrael trades, those 3 volumes would have made a good arc but nope, publish V1, which ends on a to be continued note, then don’t bother with V2-3.

Wha–no, I’m not even going to ask :see_no_evil:

Huh. I read that story but have no memory of Judge Glass. (This was probably a subconscious act of self preservation.)

It’s a tiny throwaway gag.

After that they only appear in the background of future instalments.

So is Judge Fish just a fish or a special fish?

Judge Fish.

Ah, of course.

He’s the deputy chief judge, that’s pretty special.

But don’t take our word for it, how about this from the man (fish) himself.

Inspirational!!!

I’d follow that fish to hell and back.

A couple of decent pre-order prices have just gone live at Speedyhen:

Absolute Authority v.1 new edition: £36.10

Thor by Walt Simonson Omnibus (reprint): £57.99

And anybody after these ought to be quick and get their orders in now - the prices do change, sometimes very quickly.

My copy of the Spawn Vault Edition original-art book arrived.

It’s a really nice book and better than I expected (in terms of detail and quality of the scans), and much more detailed than the smaller reproductions in that single-issue sized reprint had led me to believe. There are some nice bits of fine detail here, whether it’s the brushstrokes of the hand-drawn lettering…

…or fine details (including blue pencil) from some of McFarlane’s most detailed renderings.

I always enjoy seeing production notes in the margins, and there’s plenty of that too.

Clearly McFarlane hadn’t come up with a name for the clown by this point!

It’s also amusing to see that some of these pages were drawn on old Marvel art boards.

I’ve only had a quick glance through it so far but I’m looking forward to reading it in full. It’s not going to convert anyone who isn’t a fan of McFarlane 's art, but for people who like it, there are some great pages here.

Plus, every copy is hand-signed by McFarlane, which is pretty cool.

Strange Fruit

Boom were smart enough to issue this as a competitively priced, high quality OHC - it’s a good call.

As to the story, well, I don’t feel anywhere near qualified to comment on the racial aspects relative to the US currently - that’s a whole different world, I’ll cede commentary on it to Elvis Mitchell, who provides an interesting Foreword to this tale.

Should certain infamous terms be used in the book? I say yes, because let’s face it, in the South of the US in 1927 they certainly would have been. Trying to sideline or disguise that would be a worse offence than giving an accurate image of the time.

Jones’ painted style works exceedingly well on this story, covering characters and various sequences very well indeed. It may well have taken a while to come out but it’s pretty obvious as to why it did.

In one respect, this story has much in common with Waid’s other works of Empire and _Irredeemable i_n that very few of the characters come out of it well, the picture it paints is not a pretty one.

One of the smartest elements of the story is that the surveyor works out that the way to communicate with the stranger is to use mathematics, as earlier he’d scribed Einstein’s formula into the library floor.

Definitely worth a read.