millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

That’s annoying. The last run of Sandman Mystery Theatre trades was cancelled as well if I recall. I was holding off on that to finish out my run.

That is actually so incredibly common. Still, that’s unfortunate that the other volumes were on point anyway. Jeez

Yeah, the previous run was all over the place in volume size and then release date (there was two years between volumes at one point) and then got dropped completely.

They’re probably just trolling the one person who bought all of them. :wink:

Jeff Lemire?

A nice little preview of the upcoming Spawn Vault Edition:

(Ronnie, this is your cue to post another Strong Bad video.)

These McFarlane videos are gold. Just like Strong Bad. Will watch in a bit and find the perfect Strong Bad video. :wink:

That really is a brilliant looking book and these videos are great. $175 is probably a fair price too for what it is but still a bit expensive for me.

As promised. :wink:

Though he didn’t remind me as much of Strong Bad in this video.

Sadly, Gail Simone’s old comedy column You’ll All Be Sorry is no longer on the internets, there was a great one taking the piss out of McFarlane’s intros to the Thpawn cartoon.

Honestly, as much as McFarlane is a bit of a figure of fun, I’ve always had a fair amount of admiration for the guy. His over-the-top antics and sometimes brash and pig-headed personality would not normally be my cup of tea, but oddly - when it’s him - I kind of warm to them.

As someone who was just the right age to be taken by his art when he was at its peak, I’m pleased to see that he’s made such a success of his career and that he’s kept his hand in comics. He also seems pretty good at keeping in touch with his fanbase, and posts lots of regular updates and videos and suchlike.

I’m looking forward to this book, even if I’m not convinced yet that it’ll be up to the quality of the IDW Artist Editions and DC Gallery Editions. From what I can make out on that video, a lot of the scans don’t feature much variation in the blacks, which makes them look more like oversized reproductions of the black-and-white line art rather than true scans of the original pages. Hopefully there will be more detail when I see it ‘in the flesh’.

Wagner captured this perfectly in Mage The Hero Denied #0 - and I’m adamant that The Steeze is based on him.

And that’s why I haven’t bothered with David’s Supergirl or Sandman Mystery Theatre - DC clearly don’t give a shit, so why should I? I already got burnt on Azrael too.

It’s nothing short of astonishing that they completed both Hitman and Starman trade runs.

So long as they get to #50 of Supergirl you’re all good, Ben. #1 - 50 was one of David’s mega-arcs. Astonishingly good it was too. Up there with the best work he’s ever done, imo. The series afterwards was quite entertaining but not to the same caliber.

If they keep going and actually make it there, maybe, but it could be a long wait!

It should be fine - it’s got a TV series behind it.

That’s it! We just need to get Sandman on a Berlanti show.

You’re relying on the well known ability of comic companies to take advantage of other media like TV and film? Errrr… OK.

Of course. It’s not like DC are stupid enough to not reprint, say, any volume of the Losers when the film adaptation of it came out…

Caught up on some great series over the last couple weeks.

Monstress vol. 2 by Marjorie Liu & Sana Takeda - This volume isn’t quite as good as vol. 1 but it is still very good. My main issue is that Liu does what a lot of comics writers do where on many pages you’re not just following dialogue but narration boxes. This can be done to great effect, and sometimes it is here, but, especially since the narration boxes often only include short segments of a sentence, I’m left trying to piece together the sentence across multiple panels while also following along with the dialogue and artwork. I usually will just read the narration and then go back to the top of the page and read the dialogue but I don’t think that’s what Liu and other writers who do this are hoping for. It’s not a big problem, though, and I recognize that lots of readers probably don’t struggle with this like I do.

The story and characters remain fascinating. Maika Halfwolf is one of the most complex heroes in comics right now. She’s grappling with a theme that has always appealed to me in genre fiction–if there is a (literal) monster inside me influencing my actions, how do I know what evil belongs to it and what evil belongs to me? There’s also some moving commentary on depression with Maika learning to work with the monster inside her. And this volume goes into the backstory of the monster, which results in the monster becoming as complex a character as Maika is.

Takeda’s artwork is gorgeous. I usually don’t go for steampunk but her work here reminds me of a grittier, more violent Miyazaki in her depiction of a steampunk world. In fact, this comic often reminds me of Miyazaki’s work with its tone, themes, and world-building. So if you’re a fan of his this book might be up your alley.

Lazarus vol. 4 & 5 by Greg Rucka & Michael Lark - I usually find it hard to write about a new Rucka book because they’re almost always so high quality. Not much to say here besides that it continues to be just as fascinating and complex an example of world-building and political commentary as it was in previous volumes.

Casanova: Acedia vol. 2 by Fabio Moon, Matt Fraction, Gabriel Ba, & Michael Chabon - Anytime a new Casanova volume comes out I end up having to reread all the volumes that preceded it because the story is so complex and often opaque, and there’s also usually a pretty long wait between each volume. I don’t mind, though, because the volumes are a quick read and this level of synergy between collaborators is rare in collaborative comics.

Acedia just might be my favorite arc of the series. It’s switched gears from Steranko-style spy action to an occult mystery set in what is ostensibly the real world–or at least, the closest thing to the real world this universe-hopping series has portrayed. The melancholic tone of the previous two volumes, Gula and Avaritia, got a bit cloying in places but that’s not an issue here. The tone is still melancholic but it fits as Casanova is suffering from amnesia and has learned that his benefactor and only friend is a war criminal.

At its heart, Casanova has always been a book about the price of violence. With its “real world” setting and more serious tone and subject matter, I think Acedia is the most potent exploration of that theme yet.

Recent reads:

Red Range

Reading this with the Miracleman thread discussion in mind was an interesting experience. It opens with one of the most visceral visual gut-punches you’ll ever read: A lynched black man, his eyes put out with stakes, has his genitals set alight as a final humiliation. Does it work? Well, unlike the Divided States of Hysteria, the book isn’t marketed using the image and the act is by Klansmen. The story is set in 1900, so the barbarity being shown is entirely plausible - as is the everyday use of the n-word by the racist bastards the story brings in as villains. The story also doesn’t linger on that panel, the poor bastard dies very quickly and the story moves on, as a black gunslinger inflicts some very just vengeance on the lynchers.

Glanzman’s art is superb throughout the volume, but I’m not convinced by the genre-splicing later, though it does allow for some very sharp comments on the nature of racism. Nor did I care for the final resolution of the conflict, I wanted that bastard dead by gunshot.

The extras are very good, with a retrospective on the history of black gunslinger characters in movies and the initial response the story had 18 years ago.

Empowered: Volume 10

The joke should have stopped ages ago by now but somehow it hasn’t. Warren has no shortage of entirely deserving targets in this utterly subversive satire of superheroes. The combination of bad taste gags, jokes, sex, superpowers and skewering all manner of popular notions is still as effective as ever. That Emp remains probably the most sexually active and loving superhero going is testimony to how Warren casually breaks with superhero convention. If you haven’t read this, Volume 10 isn’t the place to start but for those following the series, this is another great instalment.

Having just read this, I can see the difficulty you describe, due to the fragmentation, but for me, due to how my head works, I found it very effective.

I’d agree it perhaps isn’t quite as strong as its predecessor, but that opening volume was one hell of a shot.

This is a rare combination where art and story are equally strong - that Maika just so happens to have a gangster Tiger as a Goddess-father is one of its best, but by no means only, curveballs.

I mentioned the now infamous Divided States of Hysteria above, purely as a comparison point in marketing terms, but it’d be a great shame for this book to suffer due to the idiocy of that entirely separate series. (Ditto Lazarus, Autumnlands, The Tithe, Think Tank, Postal and there’s a few I’ve probably missed.)