millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

There’s a school of thought that says character deaths are necessary to give a sense of ‘jeopardy’, with Game of Thrones and Martin being the examples. (Erikson & Esselmont’s Malazan series is another, but I like the world they’ve created so much I can forgive them this.)

I disagree with it, as it’d say it doesn’t matter that in Star Trek: Destiny 365 billion are killed by the Borg because they were no one the reader ‘knew’. Oh, OK, guess Tuvok losing his son doesn’t count then.

There are times when an author has to play the death card, but I just dislike the idea they should be required to do so. Weber is pretty damn good at it, killing characters off without telegraphing it or it feeling cheap.

B’Ellanna Torres dies, doesn’t she? Her name was on a list in one of the chapters.

But yeah…I tend to agree with you. The death card is over played.

Er… Go and read the Voyager relaunch books by Kirsten Beyer, they’re really good.

Okay, my knowledge of Voyager is quite minimal (I have only seen two episodes), but I will give it a tray.

I read The Crimson Shadow recently and I have been meaning to post about it in the Star Trekkin’ thread (because it sort fits well with the episodes we’re doing at the moment).

Cheap comics have started their summer sale.

http://www.cheap-comics.com/specials.php

This should keep me busy until the fall.

enjoy Headlopper, it’s delightful

Crimson Shadow was easily the best of The Fall series, lots of people are looking forward to July’s Enigma Tales from the same author too.

I have it pre-ordered. I also have The Never Ending Sacrifice on my bookshelf ready to go at some point.

That’s a contender for best Star Trek story, IMO

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Ultimate Collection, Volume 1

Despite growing up with the TMNT toys and cartoon series, I had never read the original Eastman and Laird comics that started it all. So when IDW published these smart new hardcovers of the earliest issues, I was interested - and when a Comixology sale offered the first volume for just a few quid, I couldn’t refuse.

This first book collects the first seven issues of the comic as well as the Raphael one-shot (or ‘micro-series’ as it’s styled here), but there’s more content than that sounds: each issue is extra-sized, and there’s plenty in the way of behind-the-scenes commentary and context from the creators too.

The comics themselves are great reads despite their crudeness (in terms of the occasionally clunky writing and rough-around-the-edges art). There’s a real passion and energy to them that really comes through the page, and I like that each issue seeks to tell a complete story that’s satisfying in its own right.

They’re fun reads for a lot of reasons: the characters are lively, the action is dynamic and well thought-out, and the concepts are just the right combination of silly and straight to make the whole thing work (like the Krang-esque aliens we meet towards the end of this volume).

Also, the parody elements are lots of fun. I had known in advance that the early TMNT comics had riffed on Miller’s Daredevil, but I didn’t realise it was as blatant as this.

There are also some fairly straight attempts at serious storytelling here, whether it’s characterisation of Raphael that pushes him close to quite worrying psychopath territory…

…or bold storytelling choices that include some pretty grisly and uncompromising fates for the stories’ villains.

Most of all, I really enjoyed the clear attempts to give readers value for money and a real sense of scale and spectacle. In the extra material, Eastman and Laird cite Kirby as a major influence, and you can see it in the bold action scenes and dedication to dynamic visual storytelling, as well as some of the more intricate detail of the crazy tech and alien concepts.

The text pieces really give you a good insight into the creators’ intentions for the book and the circumstances of its creation, and it’s exciting to read about how the TMNT phenomenon grew so quickly and Eastman and Laird developed as artists and businessmen between the first issue and the final issue collected here.

It’s no exaggeration to say that my temptation to buy volume two is as much down to a desire to keep following their story as to keep reading TMNT comics, and the result of their commentary and their do-it-yourself ethos is that you come away from the book feeling inspired to pick up a pencil and start writing and drawing and making comics yourself. And that’s probably about as high a recommendation as I can give.

Wow, this actually came out!

It came out a few years ago I think.

Must be getting confused with one that keeps bumped then, maybe a later one.

EDIT: Forgot to mention…

Dealer Alert

Groo: Friends and Foes OHC - Books Etc - £24.54

Price might change, but that’s a good one for a DHC OHC, RRP £44.99

I’ve been liking too much stuff lately so it’s time to get back into the old grrove.

Klaus 1-7 (Boom!) - Firstly it’s stretched out over too many issues, 4 would have been better, and secondly, even though I’m definitely not a fan of Morrison’s ‘out there’ works, this one really needed some extra wackiness. It’s just really boring to be honest. It’s suggests that it’s a Batman as Santa book but then that idea fizzles out. Then we have a clear riff on Loki and Thor and when the king shows up he’s a bit Odinish. The big bad is teased at for 5 issues until being revealed and it’s a ‘meh’ situation. There’s backstory elements regarding the death of Dagmar’s father, one of Klaus’ old war buddies and mysterious fairies/ghosts in the forest but none of these are ever expanded upon. Alongside some pretty bad scripting I got the impression that at times it was supposed to be comedy but I’m not sure. Thankfully the one bright spot is the art by Dan Mora. There are a few occasions where he draws some less than great faces but overall he work is excellent.

I agree on Dan Mora’s art. It’s wonderful stuff. Has he done much else?

He’s done some previous Power Rangers stuff. Also, he has a story in a PR Annual that came out last week. (Frazer Irving also has a story in it that. I talked to him about at MCM)

And Planet of the Apes/Green Lantern covers

I Hate Fairyland OHC!

Well bollocks, I’m going to have to buy that now.

Thanks for the tip-off.

Getting his toy making ability from magic mushrooms wasn’t “out there” enough for you? :wink:

Wow. I’m not a Power Rangers fan but that looks pretty stellar.

I’ll give you that but overall it was a very linear story and if you didn’t know who wrote it it’s almost unrecognisable as a Morrison comic.