millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Thanks for the info, good to know.

The nice thing about FP orders - they don’t cancel if an item gets delayed. This one keeps getting bumped, but people can still order it at the cheap price.

EDIT: And another thing…

About 3 years back, having started well - even becoming a good rival to Cinebooks, despite the higher pricing of their products (which was offset to a degree by better paper quality and being oversized hardback), Titan went and screwed over its Eurocomics line.

What has since transpired is they appear to have decided to serialise the material in magazine form, then issue as trade, but are issuing a 48-page album, as an RRP £13.99 standard paperback! This is beyond stupid, not least as Cinebooks do the same but at a RRP of £7.99 / 6.99! Then there’s mucking about with the sizes of the trade, which they also appear to be doing.

So, it’s unclear as to what’s coming out when, what you’d actually get if you bought it and the material is overpriced.

In Titan’s defence they are not the only offender, both Archaia and IDW have screwed up on Eurocomic material, either ceasing titles mid-run or charging a lot for what you get. So, it’s no surprise then that the ongoing winners in this strand remain the leaders Humanoids, with DHC and Cinebook pursuing.

@BenObiwomble, Midtown Comics just published their list of items shipping next Wednesday, and Romulus 4 is on there, so the chances of the TPB shipping in July have improved considerably, I’d say.

Cool, I scanned that same list but was looking for the trades primarily. (Elephantmen 2260 Volume 5 - yay! Penultimate trade, well damn.)

Near doubling the price for the trade still ain’t cool though.

I need to stop buying stuff. I’ve just realised I have 14 omnibus-sized books to read. At the rate I generally read them, that’s enough to last two years.

I’m boycotting this thread, starting today :expressionless:

You’ll be back.

I was wondering, would people be interested in writeups of other Valiant volume 1s, like I did for Ivar, Timewalker and Wrath of the Eternal Warrior? Might be a fun writing exercise.

Yeah…Of course we would.

I love Valiant (despite having no knowledge or nostalgic attachment to their 90’s versions). I really enjoy Bloodshot Reborn.

I really need to catch up on that, I only read the first two or three arcs so far (everything before the flash forward story)

I think that you’re more of less at the same spot where I with that story…I think the next thing I have is Bloodshot Island. Worst. Reality Show. Ever :smile:

Some of the images in this review have been blurred for nudity - click to unblur

Madwoman of the Sacred Heart

What a strange, funny, offbeat little book this is. A Mœbius and Jodorowsky collaboration, Madwoman of the Sacred Heart is as beautiful and odd as you would expect, throwing lots of disparate elements into the mix to provide a story that’s part-philosophical rumination, part religious satire, part erotic thriller, and part psychological midlife-crisis drama - all laced with a sense of whimsical absurdity that makes it impossible for the reader to take seriously. And just in case you start to think that the writers are in danger of doing so, it’s also dappled throughout with the lowest, most puerile kind of toilet-humour imaginable.

The tale of a philosophy lecturer at the Sorbonne who is abandoned by his wife and begins an affair with one of his students, the book starts off as a fairly grounded and relatable story before it spirals out of control. Reflecting the trajectory of Alan Mangel’s life, we’re exposed to story ideas that grow more and more unhinged - and a cast of characters that grows more and more cartoonish and outrageous to match - as the book goes on.

At first, the book is relatively ‘straight’, with Mangel trying to control his repressed desires (erotic and otherwise), which appear to him in the form of a spirit that looks like his younger self: essentially a ghostly manifestation of his own id.

It doesn’t take long before Mangel succumbs to his desires, first attempting to consummate his affair with Elisabeth in a church confession booth, in a scene that demonstrates the book is unafraid to deal with some fairly explicit material when it comes to sex (and continues to be throughout the story).

As the affair progresses - and Mangel is able to overcome impotence that we learn is partly related to his inability to father a child in his previous relationship - he helps conceive a child who may or may not be the second coming of John the Baptist. Oh, and he gets involved with a religious fundamentalist who may have murdered two nurses, and the daughter of a Columbian drugs baron who they all believe to be a reincarnation of Mary. Or is she an androgynous Jesus? There’s little time for this bizarre family unit to enjoy a seaside holiday before the gangsters arrive, and embark on a pitched battle with the army, before the whole crew gets swept off to South America to a military compound that quickly turns into a violent religious cult.

If it sounds crazy, it is, and if I’m completely honest it doesn’t always hold together perfectly as a story: some of the shifts in character and setting are jarring, and there’s a slight change in art style for the final third of the story that makes everything feel much more cartoonish.

But in spite of itself, it manages to be a very compelling (and frequently very funny) story that you start to enjoy a lot more once you abandon any hope that it’s really going to make any sense.

As you’d expect, the art is beautiful throughout, whether it’s full-page architectural illustrations like this beautiful shot of the Sacré-Cœur in Paris (which lends the book part of its title)…

…or the more natural settings that we see later in the book, which not only offer Mœbius a bit of variety in terms of landscapes and backdrops, but also provide some of the book’s best examples of visual storytelling, like this scene in which Alan and Elisabeth climb a mountain in the hope of receiving some much-needed medical (and spiritual) guidance at the top of it:

The book never lets you get too used to classy pages like this though - a running gag about Mangel’s diarrhoea makes sure of that (and somehow manages to get funnier every time):

This certainly isn’t The Incal, but it’s equally compelling and crazy in its own way. If you’re a fan of either of these creators, I’d urge you to check it out, as it’s one of those comics that can’t really be done justice by a simple write-up like this. And if you’re not sure about it but you’re curious, the book is available in three separate instalments on Comixology, so you can try the first one before committing to the rest.

One final point that is worth bringing up is that the translated version of this book features lettering that’s much simpler and more uniform than the original, and I wonder whether something of the character and emotion of the story is lost as a result. This comparison shows you the kind of thing I mean (with the original French on the left, and the translation on the right):

Maybe I’ll try and get hold of a version in the original French some day.

Great write up, Dave! I’ve been interested in this one for a while.

It’s well worth a read. I actually picked it up in the Comixology sale a week ago so it was a bargain, but there’s a reasonably affordable HC of the whole thing available too.

Yeah, Humanoids have reprinted it - loved your review quip about the book not being afraid to go into adult territory, great way to summarise Jodorowsky quickly!

As ever with Humanoids, get it quick if you want it because it could vanish quickly.

EDIT: Dealer Alert

This has just become available:

Elephantmen 2260: Volume 5: Up Close and Personal - £9.80 - Books Etc

Have you read it, Ben? What did you think?

I haven’t, as something’s had to go off the trades list so Jodorowsky’s more madder stuff was it.

That’s for the review, Dave. That was great.

One of the reasons Moebius wouldn’t allow a lot of his material to be translated was because he lost control of the lettering. He considered it to be part of the art.

I agree! :slight_smile:

It’s a shame the lettering wasn’t more reflective of the original. It’s a fairly minor complaint, but as that example shows, it can affect the feel of a page quite a bit.

I don’t think Moebius had control over the stuff he did with Jodorowsky. I think his estate has likely be very judicious about the translation and lettering of the material they are finally letting out now too.

I was just checking on my Amazing pre-orders for the delivery date for the next Legion archive (June 21st) and found this which I must have ordered on impulse and forgotten about(!) :

Well, I decided that £95 is far too much money for an impulse buy (which was obviously so important to me that I’d forgotten I’d ordered it). But before cancelling, I decided to look at the item description to see if it was updated:

:open_mouth:

An £80 price jump! Will they really honour my order at the lower price, when the difference is that great?

Well, it did start at one hundred, so hopefully.