millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

The Damned: Volume 1: Three Days Dead

There are certain creative combinations that create their own kind of magic: Brubaker-Phillips, Azzarello-Risso, Lemire-Ngyuen, Gillen-Mckelvie or, in this case Bunn-Hurtt-Crabtree, of The Sixth Gun. Well, that story’s been done for a while so what did they do next? This and it’s superb.

Running with the idea of demons waging covert wars under the umbrella of 1930s gangsters, this volume collects an initial miniseries that’s being followed by an ongoing that starts this month. The story revolves around bargained away souls, rival demon clans, their various rackets and their mortal and not-so-mortal human minions. It sounds quite nuts and it really is, but in the best way. It’s also a hugely fun read, with page after page of impressive artwork.

It doesn’t hurt either that Oni have issued this big, 5-issue collection at the $10 price point and that it’s a nice, quality trade.

It’s going to be interesting to see Moonshine’s take on the same era.

EDIT: Dealer Alert

And talking of which:

Moonshine: Volume 1 - £6.19 - Books Etc

Also:

Rise of the Black Flame - £10.24 - Books Etc

Books Etc sometimes take a bit of time to send off, but the prices are great and they do reply to comms.

User by Devin Grayson, John Bolton and @seanphillips is on its way. Looking forward to this one.

Speedyhen have it on at a really good price, £10.21 for a 176-page hardback, less than half what amazon is charging (£22.99 for a $29.99 book).

Mine too - and just arrived at the door (good thing I decided to take a day working at home).

Forbidden Planet’s delivery service has always been consistently excellent for me. I know there are places that offer free delivery, but a flat £1 on an item this size isn’t much when you know you’ll get a safe and efficient delivery.

Mine just arrived too! :slight_smile:

Moon Knight v.1: Lunatic

After a fair few positive reactions to Lemire’s Moon Knight here, I picked up the first trade in a recent Comixology sale. I’m glad I did: this is a good, solid superhero book that - like the best titles in these shared ongoing universes - builds on what has gone before by taking things in a new direction, but one that ties up nicely with the character’s previous history and uses it in a fresh way.

Lemire’s is-he-or-isn’t-he approach to Moon Knight’s insanity is hardly an original approach (for this character or in general), so he smartly doesn’t make it the entire focus of the book, preferring to let it underpin everything with a constant ambiguity, rather than making resolving that question the point of the story. This lets things play out with a likeable dreamlike quality that means that the mixture of urban New York vigilante drama and mystical Egyptian supernatural elements doesn’t feel jarring, but instead sweeps us along nicely.

Greg Smallwood’s art is beautiful too, adopting different styles when the material demands it - including some nods back to the character’s Bill Sienkiewicz days…

…as well as setting out his own stall with some very atmospheric early work that helps to establish the disturbing situation that Marc Spector finds himself in, via a Twelve Monkeys-esque outdated mental hospital…

…and an amazing splashpage halfway through the story that shows the scale of the problem that our hero is up against.

There are also some great guest-art spots later in the book that I won’t spoil, but which are brought into the story in a way that feels seamless, and completely justifies the switch in art styles.

I’ve never been the biggest Moon Knight fan, but I’ve dipped into him here and there over the years, and I like the fact that he’s a character that can support several different takes with alternate tones. This is quite a switch from the Warren Ellis-originated previous incarnation of the series (although there’s still an element of that here), and it’s also quite different from other prominent recent takes on the character, like the Bendis & Maleev run or the Huston/Finch book from a while back now.

I really appreciate that, as Lemire has struck on a new flavour that feels true to the character while also offering something a little different to what we’ve seen before.

I read the 10th volume of morning glories today, just finished it in fact.

I enjoyed it but I’m probably as lost now as I was before.

It does say ‘to be continued’ and that this is end of season 2 but I can find no news of where and how.

As much as I’ve really loved the journey - and it’s been a great book, there better be a resolution and some fucking answers at the end or I’m reopening my Twitter account and giving Nick Spencer a fucking roastin.

Thanks, I think it might be time for me to flog the OHC3 then because there doesn’t look to be an OHC4 on the cards, and even if there is, from your review it isn’t going to conclude well because it doesn’t do that.

I’ll stick with The Fix because there’s something about that book, but beyond that, Spencer will have roasted himself for me to consider buying any more of his books.

Both books arrived today, hooray.

Not sure it was mentioned in the, User solicit, but as you can see, the book is deluxe OHC-sized.

Oh, that changes things, might end up ordering user this weekend then.

When that Spider-Man omnibus turned up, I spent some time just looking at the cover and thinking, what the hell is going on with those arms?

Then I remembered the story.

:confounded:

I will admit there were a few mis-steps in the 70s :unamused:

I first encountered the six-arm Spider-Man story via the 90s cartoon so I have a bit of residual affection for it. It’s still very goofy though.

I like Six-arm spidey.

He falls in the same category as Throg and Cap-wolf.

At least, he should.

The Black Monday Murders: Volume 01

• Weird but striking and distinct visual aesthetic? Check.
  • Fractured narrative with multiple time periods? Check.
  • Genre-splicing by blender? Check.
  • Transcripts and diagrams? Check.

Yeah, it’s good having Hickman back doing this kind of stuff after his years-long excursion to superheroes at Marvel. But the bigger surprise here is his artistic collaborator, Tomm Coker - I don’t know where this guy has been hiding, his art’s excellent.

The other surprise is they opt for big 60-odd page chapters, big, big individual issues and Hickman crams in as much as he can to each, but always with an eye on the grand design. The result is one of the best value trades going you’ll ever see.

And the story? Splicing finance and magic with espionage and murder mysteries, oh and a some quite subtle horror at times, shouldn’t really work, except it does. Look it’s a mystery tale, giving the game away spoils too much, suffice to say Hickman uses these four issues to sketch out a very deep pool that’s going to be very fun to explore.

I think he did the art on the Daredevil: Noir miniseries years ago. I really liked it but I don’t remember seeing anything by him since.

I’m currently reading this (on Comixology) and really enjoying it as well.
It reads like garbage in guided view though. Just awful. I really wish I’d gone for print, but I only gambled because of the digital sale price. :thinking:

Er… Yeah… I can’t see this working at all as a digital title once it departs from the comic standards of panel sequences and goes into diagrams and transcripts and the other stuff Hickman throws.

Spengler was wrong: Print ain’t dead.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I try and avoid guided view and its ilk whenever possible. Even when reading digitally, I want to read full pages rather than a panel at a time, all scaled to be the same size, in an order that’s chosen by someone else.

I read full page, but I have a large tablet so it’s exactly the same size as a comic page anyway. Problems only happen with double page spreads otherwise the experience is the same.

I think many that use guided view are using smaller devices, on a phone I’d think it’s the only way to really read them.

Yes, I’m the same.

I have tried it on a phone with guided view, but I found it maddening and almost nothing like reading a comic properly.

I’ve got a smaller tablet, so guided view is handy on double page spreads, or talking heads scenes (so every comic Bendis writes, but Alias particularly). But, when I do use GV I set it up to show me the entire page on entry or exit too. To mimic the physical reading experience as much as possible.