millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Toy Thread

While I agree it was not thought out well at all.
I am disappointed at the reaction. I am surprised the promotion did not include “while Supplies last”
Remember when you were younger and standing in line for movie tickets or promotions and you either you got there incredibly early(see Miqque’s article, there is a mother who got there very early and got the bears) or you got sent home without anything. I don’t remember rioting or vouchers.
People say that the latest generation is entitled. this is Why. Promotions are supposed to be limited, IMO. Remember phrases like “you snooze you lose”? Now they’ve been replaced by “holla till they reward ya” :angry:

I think your memory is selective, Don. I’m not sure how much older you are than I am but I remember fights over Cabbage Patch dolls when I was a kid. I’m sure there were others before that.

Or Tickle-me Elmos

I remember being very young (like 3 or 4) and there was a bunch of people and hot tempers and some yelling and upset kids but I still came home with a Davy Crockett Coonskin Cap. Yeah, this has gone on for a while.

This wasn’t as long ago but I remember driving to work one Black Friday and hearing this story on the radio. Evidently, someone had spit in an employee’s face at a Toys 'R Us because they ran out of Furby’s. I was in retail at the time and strongly considered just turning around and going back home if that’s the kind of day it was going to be.

This is the kind of story that makes me want to set fire to anyone who tries to make Black Friday a thing over here.

It didn’t used to be as bad. The introduction of the doorbuster deals and altered opening times are really what made things crazy. It used to be a family tradition to all go shopping together on Black Friday. It really became a lot less enticing when I had to work it in the doorbuster era even when my store didn’t really do anything like that.

It was starting to get really bad when sales started slipping into Thursday night of Thanksgiving, one of the few days that people in retail actually consistently get to have off with everyone else. I think that sort of thing is dying down now because of Cyber Monday and other even earlier internet sales.

I noticed some store chains last year didn’t do Thursday night openings.

I understand this has happened before but I don’t remember the stores giving out vouchers and catering to these belligerent people. and of course my memory is selective, 55 is only months away.

Rain checks have been a thing for quite some time too. :wink: