millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Toy Thread

I don’t think of Transformers as quite the same as action figures though. My son loves Transformers but doesn’t have any action figures in the way that I think of them from my youth - the six-inch doll kind.

I think I had maybe one or two knockoff Action Man type toys that would have fit that criterion when I was a kid, it was all about the Star Wars/Action Force/MASK 3½ inch or smaller figure with tons of playsets and vehicles. And I wonder if the general lack of those toylines as franchises in their own right today has anything to do with their relative lack of visibility? Like, the “action and adventure” aisle in my local Smyth’s has Transformers, Star Wars, Power Rangers, WWE, Marvel, and then movie tie-ins and cheap no-name stuff. Of those, only Transformers isn’t tied into some other media (or isn’t literally there to be a cheap present for a kid you don’t like).

Here’s a vid of a garden layout tour. This is my favorite era of railroading, late steam when only a few diesels were appearing. This is a garden railroad, so there are succulents and things out of scale. Not intended to be fine-scale modeling (where everything is to precise scale). And, this is G scale 1, the largest of “model” railroads. First we see Southern Pacific in the “Daylight” paint scheme, red and orange. The Daylight ran from Los Angeles to San Francisco, leaving in the morning. (There was also the Lark, a two-tone gray paint scheme, that left SF in the evening to arrive in LA in the morning.)
The second half features a logging railroad, also late steam. Those odd engines are Shays, with vertical pistons and all-geared wheels. Both parts show that model railroads run on ridiculously tight curves (which is why most always look like toys). The logging route is much more extreme with an 8% grade. The absolute trippy thing about this is that logging railroads using Shays could operate on super-sharp curves and steep grades and pull a hundred or so of those fully-loaded log cars along. Okay, average speed was 7 miles per hour. What do you want?

1- G Scale is a generic term that encompasses trains made in the scales of 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29, and 1:32 [1:32 is also referred to as No. 1 Scale].

Time to kill things with LEGO:

I wouldn’t be surprised if that thing broke apart a lot in between successful takes. Reminds me of the paper crossbows the Mythbusters made, which worked for a few shots before breaking

FYI - From a Target store somewhere in northern Colorado.

To all my collector friends be careful buying retail product I just opened two blasters of panini basketball and the packs were opened and stuffed with old basketball cards. They even had a panini cello wrap on them. Unbelievable. I called target to let them know. They will take them back just be aware when hunting hot product.

From friend Jason, who owns Grand Slam Sports & Comics.

B&M have got Titans Return Sixshot in for £15 at the moment. I picked one up the other night and it’s quite nice. I’ve not done all the modes yet, admittedly. Robot mode is cool. The missile launcher thing is a bit woolly at the back end, not feeling at all stable, but I might have mistransformed it, as the instruction sheet is really hard to read. The plane mode is ok but not amazing. I really like the armoured car one though. That’s the best so far.

I actually got Sixshot yesterday as well! I agree with your assesment initially - especially the instructions - but he’s ready to consult on Ninja affairs and kill Ultra Magnus.

My local big-Tesco seems to be having a post-Christmas clearout sale on toys - these were down from £22 to a fiver:

So I got one for my son.

I imagine the new movie toys aren’t so popular among adult collectors, but it might be worth checking out your local for other bargains.

“Son”

Yeah, right…

I’m actually not a big toy person myself any more, (apart from Lego which I will always love). I don’t collect action figures or models or anything like that.

My son really loves Transformers though, so I still get to play with them a lot. :slight_smile:

Toys includes collectibles, right? Check this CRH video. @steveuk - what is that second item? Looks like a part reel from Hellboy 2. And what’s with all the Marvel sheets? Are those not promo items, and a one-sheet of uncut trading cards?

It’s a 35mm film print of one of the trailers for Hellboy 2, you can just about read the label when he holds it up it the camera.

Presumably this one;

It’s a trailer for a cinema projector. As I have mentioned before these things are not treated with a great deal of respect. Cinemas would get the small bits of film like that in the mail, they would physically glue them to the start of the movie they were showing. Theoretically they get sent back after being cut off with a knife but often it could be forgotten or thrown in the bin. Studios only made any fuss about the actual film reels.

Since that one is so nicely wrapped and labelled it’s one that was never actually used or seen. The exhibitor decided not to glue it to any reel so poor Hellboy 2 missed a little bit of publicity and ended up with this bloke and his strange box of tat.

One of the theaters near where I grew up used to use them like rope for line barriers.

This was the theater that would cut the trailers that were attached to the print off as he didn’t think he should be forced to show any trailers that he didn’t want to. I’m not sure if he ever got caught or fined.

It may differ regionally but in the UK the print came with nothing attached. The trailers came in rolls like in the video and were attached later. It is still true that what trailers are shown with any film is down to the discretion of the exhibitor, not the studio. The US one is a little more complex as the studio supplying the film gets to ‘reserve’ 2 of the trailers and up to another 4 chosen by the cinema operator so in that case he could have been naughty not including them. God knows how they ever check though.

In pre-multiplex days that was vital as they couldn’t show even all the big releases. In ads like these you’d see they were all showing different films.

When my friend took over a single screen theatre in 1985 it had gone bust 18 months previously under another owner, he found a full copy of Disney’s Peter Pan behind a sofa. Once a year during a school holiday he’d show it as he made double all the box office revenue because it wasn’t being ‘rented’. It was quite grainy by the end. :smile:

What kind of father gets his Child a Drift figure!
Worse still is that it’s a movie version!

Shame on you @DaveWallace! Shame!

I think we’ve had this conversation before. It’s unclear now that everything is digital but the two sets of trailers used to be pretty distinct. One set played before the theater bump and one set played after. The ones after were the ones that were originally attached to the print.

There is kind of “secret shop” type system where the studio sends people to check whether these things are played correctly. That person is also making head counts to make sure the theater isn’t shorting them on the take. Obviously, it’s not 100% but it’s a sample system. I’ve had friends who worked at theaters that have gotten fined for both infractions.

It also used to be much cheaper to rent second run films in the US and it’s almost pure profit because you’re not paying a percentage to the studio. That’s why discount theaters exist here.

I’ve had friends who worked at theaters that found some pretty interesting things in them. One theater used the inside of their marquee sign as storage. My buddy found an original poster to Lawrence of Arabia, his favorite film, that he had framed.

All Drift toys are excellent, just to annoy you.

Being a Merc feels just right for Poochie too.