millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Television News Thread

Not great quality, but here’s the Riverdale teaser:

I can’t see who that’s supposed to appeal to at all. It wants to be something like Pretty Little Liars, but why would that audience care about any of the Archie trappings?

You’re right.
They should have just done it like the old Sabrina show.
Riverdale would have worked better as a Dawson’s Creek throwback.

Restricting access to promotional material is a mystery I’m not sure we’ll ever unravel.

Full shows? Absolutely, international rights and all that. Trailers? Can’t fathom it.

If people outside the US think that show looks exciting they’ll generate buzz to get local networks to bid for it and yes, earn NBC more money. Completely dumb.

That’s a lot darker than I expected. It reminds me of another fan film trailer from a few years back.

What’s wrong with the video? Is it real? It’s like it was recorded as a screen capture from another Youtube video with loading problems.

It’s real.
Early leaks are usually like that.

My guess would be contractual reasons. If a broadcaster has already signed a licensing deal for certain content to overseas partners, then it may be that those deals preclude them from making content available in other countries, even if they originated it.

Yes, it’s silly as in practical terms you would think any publicity is good publicity, and anyone who really wants to see these things can circumvent geoblocking anyway.

But at the same time, it might be understandable for (say) a local broadcaster who has licensed a given show to want to be able to control how local advertising for that show is rolled out in their territory, rather than being tied to the way the original broadcaster is marketing it in its home territory.

First episode of Outcast is currently streaming on Youtube:

“Emmit Stussy is the Parking Lot King of Minnesota. A handsome, self-made, real estate mogul and family man, Emmit sees himself as an American success story. His slightly younger brother, Ray Stussy, on the other hand is more of a cautionary tale. Balding, pot-bellied, Ray is the kind of guy who peaked in high school. Now a parole officer, Ray has a huge chip on his shoulder about the hand he’s been dealt, and he blames his brother, Emmit, for his misfortunes.”

It won’t be out until sometime next year though, as they need to wait until winter to film.

Fantastic casting news!

That is excellent. Ewan is great.

Is he going to do that accent he did in big fish and I love you Phillip Morris…cause that got annoying.

I understand that, but it IS utterly impractical in the 21st Century.

It took me less than 5 minutes to find the trailer in unblocked form.

Broadcasters have to work with the world the way it is; global and digital and with a wide range of social media.

Yep, I completely agree. For people who want to find that stuff, they will be able to.

That said, I’m sure there’s an audience of more casual viewers who aren’t going to actively seek this marketing stuff out, but will watch it if it’s put in front of them.

And casual viewers make up the majority.

But that makes it even more important to ensure that things are as easy as possible for those viewers to get their information.

And also to encourage, or at least facilitate, they more active viewers who will seek out and share the information with others.

That’s the bedrock of viral marketing.

Yeah, again I agree. It takes a while for business practices to catch up with these realities sometimes.

This is the latter part of a huge global adjustment in communication, methinks. Advertising, for instance, has gotten feral and totally crazed; and is near the tipping point where folks simply will not put up with this nonsense much longer.

This is a good thing. I do hope all the job losses in the advertising industry leads to increased employment in sorting the garbage and recyclables and more personnel to clean Superfund sites.

10 posts were split to a new topic: Television News & Miscellany

Television News & Miscellany

This thread is done! Move on to the rebooted TV news thread!