millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Sports Thread

Saw a great movie last night - 61* directed and produced by Billy Crystal. It’s about the race between Mantle and Maris to break Ruth’s 60-hone-run season. Done just right! HBO.

I’m not sure how good he’ll be, the Australian League for association football is pretty low down the quality list but it seems to show he really wants to play the game rather than it be a gimmick.

If this doesn’t hit you right in the heart then fuck you.

Presented for your reading pleasure, these are mostly awful, occasionally brilliant, with a few true nicks and some that should be.

'tis a most wonderful evening to be a Mets fan, @alx and @njerry!

And it looks like a club record.

Yeah, the Mets beat the Orioles 16-5 on Wednesday, then battered the Phillies in the first game yesterday 24-4. That’s 40 runs in two games, probably more than they scored the entire month of July!

This is not the year to be a fan of Baltimore, Kansas City, San Diego or the south side of Chicago.

The first 10 seconds of the video is like an episode of Chucklevision. Keeping it classy in Belfast with a food fight. :smile:

I was watching the Cardiff City- Newcastle game this morning and saw this.
@garjones , are you sponsoring your hometown team in the EPL?

It is rather a coincidence that a few years ago (but long after I started living here) my club that I have supported for decades was bought by a Malaysian billionaire tycoon named Vincent Tan, not only that but his daughter in law was the photographer at my wedding.

He says he is a patriot and loses 6 million pounds a year not to use a sponsor and put ‘Visit Malaysia’ on the shirts instead. I believe him because when you reach the Premiership there’s crazy money and I’ve never heard in recent times of any team without a shirt sponsor.

NY baseball having another good day.

Rockies play Atlanta, and they seem pretty evenly matched along though now. Rox beat them 11-4 last night, but dang if two of the runs were not chalked up to the bullpen. Them boys are on serious Miqque-Probation! I’m looking at you, Wade Davis!

Nigel Owens is a Welsh rugby referee, regarded the best by many and was chosen to ref the biggest game, the world cup final, last time out. He came out publicly as gay in 2007.

In 2014 he faced homophobic abuse from two fans in England’s home stadium at Twickenham, they were identified and banned for several years but the head of English rugby at the time, Bill Beaumont wanted to make sure Nigel felt comfortable to continue and come back.

That’s the background, watch the video:

Best referee in my life time

His best line is a crack at his own sexuality after one of the most crooked lineout throws you’ll ever see. :smile:

Go to MLB.com today for their 16th “birthday”. All the games are free on the TV selection! (That means go to MLB, pick an game in progress from left column and click on TV icon.)

Not that much / centuries later:

Tyler Anderson lasted 2/3 of 1st, gave up 7. 80+ pitches into third, Bettis now pitching. 10-1 StL in 3rd. :cry::disappointed_relieved::joy::sob:

30 games left in baseball. NL West tied up tight. Rockies and Dodgers both there with despicable Diamondbacks. Rocks simply need to pound their opponents senseless, and since they’re playing hapless San Diego tonight, it should be easy. Fat chance. Saw the Orioles clobber somebody the other day in a huge upset.

Red Sox would very much like to win 100 games. They likely shall.

Baltimore Orioles are desperate angry to not lose 100 games. Hope so!

The whole post-season is up for grabs. My hunch? It’s going to depend on the health of the players. Pretty much true always, but like Aaron Judge coming back will be big for the Yanks (as it were) and if Jon Gray can stay sane and calm for the Rockies will make a big difference.

And then Houston wins it.