millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Smallest Hill You'd Die On

Is there any legal show that gets stuff right? Just in a general sense, I mean?

Boston Legal.

Another thing that used to drive me to quiet rage when I worked on labour/post-natal wards were midwives who would invariably refer to newborn babies as “it”.

Despite what you might think from “X-Men: First Class”; Argentina´s Villa Gessel has NO mountains. And the town is acctually a Beach.

What they were thinking was the south of Argentina. Bariloche, Probably.

More a point of amusement than irritation is your standard US cop procedural where they go up to the computer, hit a button, or even better, quick hand motion and whammo, computer brings up images and info in perfect positions, sizes, resolution.

Now, when did you ever use a computer that was that smart? Never.

Yeah, I can set it up so that I click a couple of buttons and a carefully set macro goes active and does everything it’s supossed to in about 10-20 seconds - looks hellishly impressive, but it’s not a single click or motion. And as for screen layout and display…

Southern accents for me. Actors tend to sound like Claremont writing Cannonball.

When Blair Witch came out I lived in Germany and when ever a big movie came out, the theater on post was packed.
Imagine seeing a movie about people lost in the woods in a crowded house of folks who know how to navigate the woods.

There’s a lot of Tropery here as opposed to things that grate because of personal experience.

Anyway, I’ll start with this one. If, like me, you’ve ever been knocked out, you’ll know it’s not at all like it is in the old plot device of taking out a couple of guards and stealing their clothes. It’s hard to get right without potentially cracking someone’s skull open and horrible to go through if you’re the victim. No one wakes from being knocked unconscious to get up and scratch they’re head like they’ve a bit of a headache. Even being out for a few seconds can lead to severe nausea and vomiting and a recovery of a few days, more than thirty seconds will probably start leaving lasting problems. If someone is knocked out for enough time to steal their uniform you’ve probably given them brain damage.

So here a yodel goes out to anything that shows someone losing consciousness from a character cutting off their air supply as opposed to knocking them over the head with something.

By the way, anyone enjoying this thread - die, yodel or trope wise - I highly reccomend a show called Adam Ruins Everything that pretty much destroys everything we think we know about everything in an entertaining, humorous way.

I don’t understand this thread… u_u

I watch UFC fights and see people knocked out regularly.

Yeah, nothing like the movies and TV.

I learnt very early in life how dangerous it can be as my dad was a professional boxing coach and his fighter knocked a guy out for less than a minute and nearly killed him. The guy was in a coma for months and has never fully recovered. The fighter doing the knocking out lost his edge, too, having done that to someone and his career suffered. It had a longterm negative affect on so many lives and he wasn’t even out cold for that long.

Even from when I got knocked out I’ve had memory issues. Though to be fair, drinking so much alcohol in my teens and 20s didn’t help.

Judge Judy.

Apparently My Cousin Vinny is regarded as the most accurate legal representation on film, I kid you not.

Director Lynn has a law degree from Cambridge University,[6] and lawyers have praised the accuracy of My Cousin Vinny 's depiction of courtroom procedure and trial strategy,[7] with one stating that “[t]he movie is close to reality even in its details. Part of why the film has such staying power among lawyers is because, unlike, say, A Few Good Men , everything that happens in the movie could happen—and often does happen—at trial”.[8] One legal textbook discusses the film in detail as an “entertaining [and] extremely helpful introduction to the art of presenting expert witnesses at trial for both beginning experts and litigators”,[9] and criminal defenders, law professors, and other lawyers use the film to demonstrate voir dire and cross examination.[7]

Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals judge Richard Posner praised My Cousin Vinny [10] as being

particularly rich in practice tips: how a criminal defense lawyer must stand his ground against a hostile judge, even at the cost of exasperating the judge, because the lawyer’s primary audience is the jury, not the judge; how cross-examination on peripheral matters can sow serious doubts about a witness’s credibility; how props can be used effectively in cross-examination (the tape measure that demolishes one of the prosecution’s eyewitnesses); how to voir dire, examine, and cross-examine expert witnesses; the importance of the Brady doctrine … how to dress for a trial; contrasting methods of conducting a jury trial; and more.

John Marshall Law School professor Alberto Bernabe wrote that “Vinny is terrible at the things we do teach in law school, but very good at the things we don’t”:[11]

[How to] interview clients, to gather facts, to prepare a theory of a case, to negotiate, to know when to ask a question and when to remain quiet, to cross examine a witness forcefully (but with charm) in order to expose the weaknesses in their testimony

United States Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia cited My Cousin Vinny as an example of the principle that a client can choose his own lawyer,[12] but United States Senator John Kennedy told District Court nominee Matthew S. Petersen that having seen the film did not qualify one to be a federal judge during a disastrous 2017 hearing when Peterson could not answer basic legal questions.[13] The authors of Reel Justice: The Courtroom Goes to the Movies (2006) gave the film its highest rating along with several films based on real trials, such as Judgment at Nuremberg and Breaker Morant .[14] In 2008 the ABA Journal ranked the film #3 on its list of the “25 Greatest Legal Movies”,[5] and in 2010 ranked Pesci’s character as #12 on its list of “The 25 Greatest Fictional Lawyers (Who Are Not Atticus Finch)”.[15]

Lynn, an opponent of capital punishment, believes that the film expresses an anti-death penalty message without “preaching to people”, and demonstrates the unreliability of eyewitness testimony. Lawyers find the film appealing, according to the director, because “there aren’t any bad guys”, with the judge, prosecutor, and Vinny all seeking justice. Lynn stated that both he and Launer sought to accurately depict the legal process in Vinny , favorably comparing it to Trial and Error , for which he could not make what he believed were necessary changes.[6]

How’s that for yodelling??

So, you really get the intro / dedication page to Guards! Guards! then?

This question has been around for a while.

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/12/28/archives/the-case-against-perry-mason.html

From 1975. Still valid.

I think one that probably started out as a laughable inaccuracy and has become a trope of film and tv is the sound of gunfire.

I was suitably impressed by Michael Mann’s Collateral for leaving the audiences suitably deafened by every gunshot.

Also on Micheal Mann, HEAT for people actually reloading guns.

Given that the things that annoy us the most in media depictions are the things we have personal knowledge of, depictions of computer interfaces and “hacking”, typically in police procedurals, are a source of both rage and amusement, often in equal parts. I deliberately sought out CSI:Cyber so I could enjoy it as a comedy show (I wasn’t disappointed).

I’ve mellowed with age on things that violate the laws of physics. I still get worked up over conservation of momentum violations, for some reason, but I’ve let go of the thermodynamics ones. Life’s too short.

That’s because we don’t want water shooting 20 feet in the air if somebody hits them.

Music chronology bothers me some. I’ve been watching GLOW (my wife likes it), and they are all over the map with this stuff. The last episode had someone wearing a Dead Milkmen tee. The show takes place in 1985 and the band’s first album came out in June 1985, and had no singles. It’s possible that someone in LA could have a tee but the band had barely ventured out of the Philly punk scene and it is extraordinarily unlikely.

There are also ads for this movie “White Boy Rick” that play Donna Summer’s 1977 hit “I Feel Love” over the title card “1984” and it drives me insane.

I have to admit as a New England guy who has lived in Boston for years and still visits several times a year, I’m always bothered by the accents and personalities you see in movies. Nobody in Boston talks or acts like that.

(EDIT- you need to click on the tweet and watch the video)