millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Paleo Diet

So my wife and I are just about to start this (as well as hitting the gym every day between now and Christmas) and I’m devastated to find that everything I like is on the wrong side of this chart. WHO KNEW THIS WAS BAD FOR YOU???

“Tart Fruits” sounds quite funny for some reason.

I’ve thought about going on one of those types of diets. They just seem expensive to maintain. For me at least

These diets are fads…just eat less & move more…you dont need to diet…you look fabulous :wink:

I thought everybody knew but just didn’t care :confused:

The Paleo Diet is just another fad diet and like all fad diets should be avoided.

True. The best thing is to eat all that good stuff and avoid all that bad stuff but don’t call it “the paleo diet”. Just say “I’m eating sensible stuff”, and don’t give it a faddish label.

Better yet, go to your doctor and get a complete physical. Discuss the results and get a referral to a nutritionist. Discuss your results with the nutritionist and let them develop a proper diet for you. You may be surprised at what you should and should not eat.

Also, minimize intake of processed foods, avoid excessive sugar and salts, and exercise regularly.

Fad diets like Paleo are only useful in the short term. Long term, you end up gaining the weight back because you deprive your body of important nutritional elements.

I agree with davidm and Todd, but just need to add this anecdote:

When Liz was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, her doctor sent her to a nutritionist who turned out to be useless. Following the nutritionist’s instructions made her feel physically weak and terrible. A good friend who is a fitness fanatic lent her the Paleo Diet book. Liz read it and decided to give it a chance, with some tweaking. The important tenets she followed were: reduce carbs significantly, and replace them with proteins and good fats; and exercise regularly.

Five years later, she’s still using those tenets as her guide, she still exercises almost daily, is in great shape, and still has her blood-sugar numbers under control. Paleo may be a fad diet, but that’s true of all of those best-seller diets (remember Atkins?); but as a guide for encouraging a lifestyle change, Paleo is better than most.

Good luck with it, @Mark_Millar !

Good luck Mark.

To be honest, rather than being a fad I think the paleo diet is probably a pretty sensible way for us to eat as it gives your body what it needs and helps you avoid processed crap and sugar, which has all sorts of negative effects on our bodies and minds.

Obviously you will see the results for yourself and I’d be interested in hearing about them if you could take the time to let us know how it affected your body, but most importantly how you feel and your energy levels etc.

After your finish you will probably see what works for you and take elements of it into your diet into your life after that. Hope it works out for you both.

Don’t do this!

Nutrition is simple, whole foods cooked properly in moderation with a fine range of nutrients.

As soon as some idiot says “good for you” or “bad for you” regarding food, they are simply trying to sell you something.

How to Really Eat Like a Hunter-Gatherer: Why the Paleo Diet Is Half-Baked

Honestly, the deciding factor with cavemen (like The Amish) is the fact that they had to really use their bodies. No cars, no machines, no phones. Constant physical activity.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1602791

That’s a great article, Johnathan. I think these two quotes kind of summarize it for me.

Most nutritionists consent that the Paleo diet gets at least one thing right—cutting down on processed foods that have been highly modified from their raw state through various methods of preservation. Examples include white bread and other refined flour products, artificial cheese, certain cold cuts and packaged meats, potato chips, and sugary cereals. Such processed foods often offer less protein, fiber and iron than their unprocessed equivalents, and some are packed with sodium and preservatives that may increase the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.

Ultimately—regardless of one’s intentions—the Paleo diet is founded more on privilege than on logic. Hunter–gatherers in the Paleolithic hunted and gathered because they had to. Paleo dieters attempt to eat like hunter–gatherers because they want to.

I’m not a fan of Paleo generally because of how it is used in some circles. There are people who espouse it as the cure all for everything even unrelated chronic diseases like multiple sclerosis. At some point, it becomes a bit like snake oil.

All the yammer - and I mean ALL the yammer - boils down to:

Fresh is good.
Cooked is good.
Local is good.
Balance is good.
Nutrients are good.

Too much is bad.
Too old or full of preservatives is bad.
Exotic imported is bad.
All of one thing is bad.
Food devoid of nutrition is bad.

Don’t mind fads so long as they do not impact health. Seen too many fads.

Yes, and particularly, this portion makes very good points.

Several examples of recent and relatively speedy human evolution underscore that our anatomy and genetics have not been set in stone since the stone age. Within a span of 7,000 years, for instance, people adapted to eating dairy by developing lactose tolerance. Usually, the gene encoding an enzyme named lactase—which breaks down lactose sugars in milk—shuts down after infancy; when dairy became prevalent, many people evolved a mutation that kept the gene turned on throughout life. Likewise, the genetic mutation responsible for blue eyes likely arose between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago. And in regions where malaria is common, natural selection has modified people’s immune systems and red blood cells in ways that help them resist the mosquito-borne disease; some of these genetic mutations appeared within the last 10,000 or even 5,000 years. The organisms with which we share our bodies have evolved even faster, particularly the billions of bacteria living in our intestines. Our gut bacteria interact with our food in many ways, helping us break down tough plant fibers, but also competing for calories. We do not have direct evidence of which bacterial species thrived in Paleolithic intestines, but we can be sure that their microbial communities do not exactly match our own.

The fact that bacteria evolve even more rapidly is leading to a lot of new science in nutrition. It affects not only what our bodies tell us to eat, but also how we behave.

How Gut Bacteria Help Make Us Fat and Thin

Can the Bacteria in Your Gut Explain Your Mood?

Naturally, a lot of the fad diets emerge because people want a simple plan to follow, but, like with everything, the science of eating and living healthy has advanced far beyond most mainstream ideas of it.

Of course, there has to be a bit of “I’m a badass” thinking that makes it attractive. You’re eating like a caveman!

That depends on what the goals are.

People like to take a dump on the paleo diet but it’s not that bad and not too hard to follow. I don’t agree with all of it, but it’s a great framework to go off of, whether you want to gain muscle, lose fat or both.

This iteration on the Paleo diet is the one I have the most problems with. It sells itself as the Benny Hinn of diets. Living with someone who has a chronic autoimmune disease, it kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Ironically, the evolutionary components of autoimmune diseases is getting a lot more attention as well. We’ve evolved, the food we eat has evolved, viruses and germs we encounter have evolved and our immune system is still adapting to entirely new substances in our air and food.

There was a thing on TV last night about Starbucks mis-labelling some sugar-covered sweet snack thing so it said 300 calories instead of 400 or something. As if this was a heinous crime.

Come on, why is anybody who is the least bit worried about calories even looking at the label on a Starbucks sugar-covered sweet snack thing? All you need to know is it’s too many. If you’re bothered about your health, don’t ever eat a sugar-covered sweet snack thing no matter how many calories it claims to have. Eat some real food. Geez.

Honestly, putting a label on a tiny 400-calorie snack is just paying lip service to pointless regulations. People eat sugar-covered sweet snack things because they want to eat sugar-covered sweet snack things, and the label isn’t going to stop them.

And that’s when people even bother to read the labels. They have no clue as to the number of servings there are in a single item.

Many people don’t realize the sugar-covered sweet snack thing may actually be two servings per the label and eating the whole treat is actually 800 calories in one sitting.