millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

The bastards!

I would not have read this if I hadn’t started trying all the new Image first issues digitally a few months back.
Generally speaking I’ll pick up new Image stuff with the following logic

1. anything by creators I really like
  2. creators I’ve enjoyed before and with concept that sounds like it will interest me
  3. creators I’ve never heard of but the concept sounds great

Everything else would generally picked up later on based on buzz in the trades thread on here or 11 o’clock comics

I’m not that into espionage comics and Kyle Higgins, whilst always solid, has been a bit hit or miss with his books - more so my tastes that his writing ability. I’ll only do the espionage stuff if it’s a writer I really like.

the dead hand # 1 by Higgins and Stephen Mooney would be best compared to something by Brubaker and Epting, like Velvet or their Captain America run. In fact this almost feels influenced by their work together and if you squint when reading it you could be fooled into thinking that was the creative team.

This was excellent. Really glad I stumbled across it. It’s going to be hard to summarise without spoiling because it really didn’t go in the direction I was expecting and as a result it made a lasting impact.

But I want people to read this so how do I sell it?

Maybe, what a Cold War Captain America did after retirement from the cause would be the best way to put it and still maintain enough mystery so that you enjoy the ride as much as I did.

Great first issue.

Did you ever look at C.O.W.L or Hadrian’s Wall?

No surprise that I thought The Dead Hand was merely okay. I know it’s only 1 issue in but I already prefer C.O.W.L.

I read the first volume of COWL but the subject matter didn’t interest me.

I think I have Hadrian’s Wall on my bookshelf.

I really liked the start he made to his Nightwing Rebirth book.

Mark Russell is one of the lesser celebrated geniuses of the comics world right now.

I know a handful of Millarworlders have given high praise to his fantastic runs on both Prez and The Flinstones - the latter being one of the best comics published by in the last 10 years in my opinion, certainly that I’ve read anyway.

Snagglepuss, Exit Stage Left is another heartbreaking, deconstruction of a Hanna Barbera character and I think after issue 4 it perhaps even exceeds The Flintstones.

DC have taken a bold step in publishing this book, basically a window into the 50s and the lives of gay creatives and the lengths that society and officials went to in order to repress them at the time - and how they were forced to live secret lives, for their own safety.

What makes this bold is that, and this is my interpretation here, so I might be totally off, but I think it also might be a criticism of the 50s era Hanna- Barbera where Snagglepuss would have represented their take on on a gay man at the time, portrayed as a big, pink, flamboyant Lion.

Even if i have missed the point here it doesn’t matter:
There’s a really tragic tale being told - Huckberry Hound in particular tugs at the heart strings, a character who seems unlikely to see through the series, whether that is at his own hands or at someone elses.

This is comic book greatness, I strongly recommend picking up the trade if it is collected.
The only criticism I have is the awful Sasquatch whatever backup story, which I can’t even bring myself to read any more.
Hopefully any trade excludes that back up.

Crude 1 by Steve Orlando and Garry Brown suffers from the same issue that much of Orlando’s work does, in that it’s just not written very well.

I enjoyed his Batman/Shadow book, although that was cowritten by Snyder. I found Supergirl to be unreadable. The monsters crossover in DC comics was one of the worst Batman stories I’ve ever read. I tired of Midnighter very quickly. Some of his JLA was really good some of it I ended up skimming - and truth be told I think it was the cast of characters that was the attraction for me rather than the issues themselves - although there was some good story ideas.

His stories flow poorly, his dialogue is very rarely engaging and the scene breaks feel uneven and unnatural - worse here become it constantly jumps though time and is extremely non linear - which I don’t have a problem with if it is done well.
But this isn’t. It’s just an incoherent mess and it by about 3/4 of the way thru I got fed up reading each page 2 or 3 times to understand if any of it was relevant to the plot and to figure out what was going on, which seemed like very little.

If you want the reader to work hard for the story then it better be worth the effort.

This wasn’t.

Ha. I’m not saying this to be different, honest, but I much preferred Crude to The Dead Hand. I’ll be getting the next issue of the former, not the latter!

Different strokes and all that

I found Exiles # 1 to be a draining yawn fest.

Some of the biggest word balloons I’ve encountered in a comic, which was definitely part of the problem. Totally needless monologuing, I just can’t go that at all.

To the contrary domino # 1 was good fun. My a character I have any sort of affinity for, but Gail Simone’s sharp witty dialogue is really enjoyable to read.

I’m trying to cut back on comics that I don’t really need to be reading, but I’m saddened by the lack of Simone at DC since Secret Six and this a way to get my fix until her Plastic Man mini series comes out.

So here’s the Age of Heroes book I’ve been looking forward to most - although not for the Jim Lee art but for the James Tynion IV script.

Having just written the best run on any team book that I have read in years, in his sure to be legendary Detective Comics run, my expectations were high for The Immortal Men - even if it’s a team book filled with unknown characters.

Caden Park had been having weird dreams. Weird dreams about a place called The Campus. Weird dreams that seem real or important.
But since seeing a man from those dreams after passing out in a busy train station the dreams have suddenly stopped. Now when he touches people he sees a snapshot image from their life; his Mum reading a book, his friend playing video games, his therapist smoking a bong.

His therapist thinks these dreams are a safe place created by his subconscious, yearning to be part of a world other than the one he belongs to.

But we’ve all read comics before right, we know that this must be more than just a dream world. A world with Immortal Men, Infinite Women and certain familiar faces from a Dark Multiverse.

There’s a lot going on here, iand it’s a pretty exciting start - I’d have loved reading this as a kid.
But the masterstroke is Tynion doing what he does best and that is character. He intelligently grounds the book for the reader with the character of Caden Park. Who could easily be any of us as a high school kid - dreaming of being a superhero and being important and part of something bigger.

I think this is where the success of the first issue lies and I look forward to reading more, although this may be better in trade as it did require a. It of slow reading to digest what was going on, which I guess has been deliberately held back a bit for future issues.

A promising start.

As I said earlier, I was pretty disappointed with #1, but I’m glad you liked it, Chris. Hopefully #2 will be easier to digest given the whole Jim-Lee-abandoning-the-book-he-created issue has been dealt with.

The Jim Lee situation is borderline farce but I have faith in Tynion. He’s the attraction for me anyway, rather than Lee - who I like, but I wouldn’t buy a book for his name alone.

Rather spoilt for choice on cover of the week this time after a couple of ‘not so great’ weeks.

Again for Kick Ass Romita Jr shows the power of a simple striking image, Batman is strong and a few of the Action homages. I read on Twitter yesterday an artist say the Superman #45 cover was better than any of the Action #1000 variants and I tend to agree. It’s my pick for now but I could change my mind.

Funny, I was thinking this myself as I was looking through them, before I read your text.

The Superman 45 cover is definitely my favourite of the bunch, although I do like that kick ass cover also.

I didn’t read Tom King’s Action Comics #1000 story when it was released earlier. I wanted to keep it a surprise. And my god, it was really good. I just can’t believe the same writer could also pen the bland mess that is Mister Miracle, that perhaps had its most unmemorable issue today as well. The Superman story was the perfect palette cleanser, as were many of the Action Comics #1000 stories, but I have to say the very concept of Johns/Donner/Coipel’s contribution gave me a heartfelt chuckle.

Everyone apart from you likes Mister Miracle. :smile:

History will vindicate me, just like it did with Cosmic Odyssey. :wink:

You deny it but I think it’s all to do with a level of involvement with the property. I’ve only quite rarely read any New Gods and barely know what Cosmic Odyssey is.

Technically it’s just a brilliant comic asking great questions. I’m not sure I would view a bunch of characters that I’m really into in the same way in that rather experimental storytelling.