millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

@markabnett hated the issue.

I hated every other issue, but thought this one was fine.
Haven’t read #6 because if it’s back to being boring then I’d like to live in the expectancy a bit more.

Haters gonna hate :wink:

Sorry Mark, for mixing you and Tom up!

No problem!
My main issue was the lack of cultural awareness, sensitivity and basic factual errors.
The author (not ellis) is a big proponent of representation and diversity but failed in every way when it come to a culture he knew nothing about.
Just really grinds my gears

Completely agreed after you made all of the ways it went wrong apparent.

I just liked that Cray actually had an action scene for the first time in the series.

Judas #1 - I like stories that respectfully take on biblical narratives. Historically, I haven’t been a huge fan of ones that present Judas as a victim or hero. This might be the first. Jeff Loveness tells an incredibly layered story here that weaves between the lines of scripture. Jakub Rebelka deftly turns that into art that perfectly compliments the narrative. I will definitely check out the rest of this story and be inclined to look at more work from these two creators.

Hit-Girl #2 - Another killer issue from @Mark_Millar. I enjoy how visceral Ricardo Lopez Ortiz’s art is. The last page is a little dark for me but I can’t wait for everyone to see how this plays out.

Dark Nights - Metal #5 & 6 - echoing a few earlier comments upthread, I enjoyed this a lot, but in the end it was a fast food meal that I have no particular desire to return to. Snyder & Capullo are an awesome creative team, and I look forward to their next collaboration, but this one almost felt too big for them, y’know.

I do look forward to seeing the fallout of this book on the DCU as a whole - some pretty big stuff got set up here that feels at odds with the tone of the event. I suspect that originally this was susposed to be a far more self contained story, but the ending was altered so that DC could capitalise on its success.

Dark Knights Rising - The Wild Hunt - was a title with four writers and three pencillers. It was produced to plug a whole in the schedule when #6 of the main mini got delayed. It should have been a complete mess. But, somehow, it just about works. As Dave mentioned upthread it all feels very Morrison, almost to the point that I suspect he wrote the whole thing, from a plot by the other three. It picks up on story threads and themes from Final Crisis too, which I wasn’t expecting. The artwork is more of a mixed bag- all three are great artists individually, but their styles don’t quite gell together side by side.

Doomsday Clock #4 - I have really enjoyed this book to date, but this issue annoyed me with the complete lack of forward momentum. I really didn’t need 30 pages of getting to know the new Rorschach, lovingly told though they may have been.

Detective Comics #976 & 977 - the first two parts of Tynion’s final arc on this book “Batmen Eternal” were amazing. In the fallout of the last storyline, the Gotham Knights are split right down the middle, with Bruce’s team shattered and struggling to pick up the pieces, just as Kate’s team start taking things to the next level. The artwork by Javier Fernandez was astounding - it’s a little grittier than the usual art team’s, but his storytelling is really spot on. I hope we see more of his work in the next few issues.

Your reviews are great Vik, I don’t follow much of this stuff monthly but it’s helpful to know what to look out for in trade.

I often like the crossovers to a night out with a group of friends. It’s all kind of jumbled, no one gets exactly what they wanted, and you’re left with a hangover but you wouldn’t trade it.

A couple of milestone issues this week. First up:

Saga #50

Saga celebrates fifty issues not with some big backslapping orgy of self-congratulation, not with some big plot twist or new direction, but simply by doing what it does best: solid character interactions with a real sense of heart, imaginative fantasy concepts with great visuals, and a decent cliffhanger to lead us into the next issue.

While the opening splashpage (pun intended) is a standard bit of BKV ‘outrageous’ attention-getting, it gives way to a nice tender love scene between the two leads that uses the rhythm of a nine-panel grid well.

It’s a scene that doesn’t advance the story particularly, but reinforces the connection between the two characters nicely, and feels fitting for an anniversary issue.

After that, we get a few different scenes, mostly dialogue-based with only few characters, that check in on various groups and move the story forward while also being entertaining in their own right. That sounds like a very mundane description of something that should be pretty basic stuff for comics, but not many books make it look this effortless.

And the issue still manages to throw in the kind of beautiful visual flourishes and amusing profanity that is Saga’s stock in trade. There might not have been a more typical Saga page than this ever.

Anyone want to bet against it running another fifty issues?

Jessica Jones #18

The end of this series also marks one of Bendis’ last books for Marvel, and it sees him take a tour of some of his current characters (tying together a few appearances by a single villain in multiple Bendis books recently) while also giving Jessica the closest thing she gets to a perfect day.

It’s an uplifting, positive done-in-one story that lets Bendis and Gaydos do what they do best. I’ve loved this grounded and often wry take on the Marvel universe ever since Alias, and while I wouldn’t quite say that this series has been its equal, it’s certainly been a worthy continuation.

This is the kind of page that sums up the book perfectly:

It’s not for everyone, but I enjoy it a lot, even after a lot of other Bendis series have grown a bit stale for me. He and Gaydos have such great chemistry together - without it, moments like this just wouldn’t work.

It’s testament to the inimitable quality of Bendis’ writing and the core appeal of the concept of Alias that he can make even the oldest Marvel characters come to life in a fresh way.

I’m looking forward to reading his DC work, but books like this make me realise how much Marvel is going to miss him.

As with many last-issues of Bendis series, there’s a nice full-page afterword here that says a goodbye to Jessica and to Marvel in general. It’s nice to see his pride in what Jessica has become, both in comics and beyond. He’s earned it.

I was a big proponent of Avengers:No surrender but with the news of the new Avengers by Aaron, My enthusiasm waned. I liked many of the Avengers used in this story and now I notice that nothing of them are in the new Avengers. I liked the concept of the game but I just read #686 and the game is over. But there is 4 more issues. So I looked at the upcoming pormotion blurbs and saw this.

The battle is over, and those left standing in the rubble have to find a way to move forward. As an era of the Avengers comes to a close, what will rise to take its place?

All these heroes I like so much are just being pushed aside for the Aaron’s version of the NEW AVENGERS(with Dr Strange and Ghost Rider replacing Luke Cage and Iron Fist). No Surrender now seems to be a new take on Disassembled and I despised Disassembled so i won’t be finishing No Surrender.

Regardless of whether it has any lasting effect(which I doubt), I don’t care. I am sad because I thought it was a great idea but now it seems that it was just a way of sidelining popular characters and clearing the deck so their current “main architect” can play with his favorite toys and tell his big story(sound familiar?).

Bendis- got famous for writing Spider Man, but had a thing for Luke Cage, exploded Avengers, put Cage on his New Avengers, had difficulty with writing team book
Aaron- got famous for writing Thor, also wrote a less than successful Dr Strange, had someone else remove all the previous Avengers, put Dr Strange on his Avengers. Does Aaron have past success with writing team books?

rant over

There’s Wolverine & The X-Men but that’s about it.

Aaron is great with character interaction, especially through action, so I am very confident he’ll be very solid and very likeable on the Avengers. Even in a book like Thor he chose to divide Thor into 3 completely different characters with 3 completely different supporting casts, making it both functionally a team book and also a unique character piece (and I thought a lot about that with maxwell’s, where we’re reinventing the character and the world each issue and hopefully the juxtaposition is telling the story of this character)

Aaron can write anything - the book is in safe hands

X-Men/ Venom “Poison-X” (X-Men Blue #21, 22, Annual #1, and Venom #162, 163) was a fun little crossover. All five parts were written by Cullen Bunn, and that kept the tone/ story consistent across the whole event, even as the point of view changed from issue to issue. Unfortunately the artwork was nothing to write home about.

The X-Men books have a long, prestigious history of hosting some of the best artists in the business (Byrne, Smith, Romita Jr, Silvestri, Lee, Kubert, Pacheco, Quitely, Bachalo, Immomen, Bradshaw, and many more I’m no doubt forgetting), but these days? These days they are really struggling artistically and that is without a doubt hurting them. Who has even heard of Salazar, Anindito, or Camagni beforehand?

To begin with I didn’t know this crossover was actually the second part of a trilogy that began in last year’s Venomverse, and concludes in the forthcoming Venomized mini-series next month. Fortunately I managed to pick up the former in a dirt cheap digital sale recently, and will do so with the latter too.

Ironically, “Poison- X” actually ends on a pretty nifty cliffhanger, that may have got me to buy the mini at full price, but Marvel’s recent downright bizarre practice of giving their stuff away in a couple of months means that I’ll just wait for that instead.

Plot wise, the whole trilogy is based on the back of a new alien race, called the Poisons, who feed off symbiotes. They lived in an alternate dimension, until they found out about the 616 and are now invading. It’s truly nonsensical stuff, and I wouldn’t particularly recommend it to anyone here, but it is well done for what it is.

It actually shares quite a lot with the original Annihilation event, but is no where near as accomplished.

Marvel Comics: The CB Cebulski Generation Begins!

It’s really a horribly crafted page, though. I have to follow the wobbly trails of about 15 balloons before I could tell who was speaking them (once I’d done that I saw it was a left/right split that matched the figure placing, which is at least something they did right, but I couldn’t know that until I’d done the hard work) so I could then go back up to the top and start reading them. Unless your goal is to piss off the readers, I’m not sure why you would do that.

It was worth reading, though, to learn that the way people on this forum write “spoof Bendis” style isn’t actually a spoof. It is actually how he writes. That’s awesome.

I would think all the words on the page would be right in line with your 70’s sensibilities. Or do you prefer them to just take up the top half of the page? :wink:

I know what you’re saying, but it’s very intuitive once you’ve been reading his books for a while.

It allows him and Gaydos to do with dialogue something similar to the kind of thing that Brubaker and Phillips are doing with narrative captions alongside full-page images in Kill Or Be Killed at the moment.

It’s typical for this book (and Bendis comics in general) but I can see why it might be initially jarring without that context.

Ok, that’s fair enough. If that’s part of his overall style, and not just one ill-judged page, then I have less objection to it :slight_smile:

From Nailbiter #7’s homage to Bendis: