millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

She got that 90’s Superman on point there.

And now Superman is delighted that he can pee again without taking off the whole suit!

I generally trying the first issue of all Image books these days which is how I stumbled across Prism Stalker by Sloane Leong.

When I was in school a couple of guys in the years above me made their own comic.
Basically they read Sandman and tried to do something similar and the result was a poor homage lacking in originality or any real understanding what made the comic work.

This feels like the writer artist has enjoyed books by the likes of Brandon Graham, John Smith, Becky Cloonan, Andy Belanger and Paul Pope - and wants to join the gang but lacked the ability to reproduce. It’s utterly contrived.

There’s artistic potential there, despite the art having heavily borrowed the style from other artists - but it’s potential and not of the standard you would normally see in an Image book. There’s some really good panels but some really poor ones.

I found the writing to be bullshit though, I couldn’t finish it.

This is a harsh post but I’ve got to be honest - I have no idea who Sloane Leong is, although I think I recognise the name from an Ales Kot book I have that I can’t recall the name of - but this is symptomatic of the amount of comics out there and why I feel it makes it more difficult for people who are looking for something to read at Image but find it difficult to sift thru all the crap to get to the incredibly strong books (which I will cover in a later post, kids permitting) that Image do publish.

In the past this is the sort of book would have been self published until the creator brushed up on their skills enough to get a break at a bigger publisher.

So, also new this week from Image and by complete contrast;

I don’t know how he does it, being so incredibly prolific, but Jeff Lemire is onto another winner.

In Gideon Falls, Lemire has teamed up with his partner on Green Arrow & Old Man Logan, Andrea Sorrentino and their first creator owned collaboration just oozes class.

Sorrentino’s art is instantly recognisable, even here where he has taken an experimental approach, its unmistakable…
I’d be interested to understand what the motivation for the change in technique was for this book, Perhaps it’s for thematic reasons, but I can’t work it out, if that is the case - other than the aggression of some of the hatching adding to the unease and sense of something malevolent bubbling under the surface.
It looks like he’s laid down thick blacks and hatched whites over them, then the legendary Dave Stewart has worked his magic on top of that.
It looks great and very suitable for the story.

This is a dark, foreboding opening to this horror series and it has teased a mystery or two that I’m eager to read more about to find out what is going on.

It’s really creepy and the main character, who may or may not be experiencing mental health issues, is top concept for me already just one issue in.
Then we have Father Wilfred who has come to Gideon Falls to replace Father Tom, who has died, under potentially mysterious and unsettling circumstances.

It’s weird, but this book often made feel like I do when I walk home alone in the dark, when there’s not another soul in sight…

The backmatter provides a bit of info about the genesis of this story, which is equally fascinating.
It also gives a bit of a biography for Lemire and the years of hard work he put in to get where he is today or even before he got to the stage of being picked up by one of the bigger publishers.

I ultimately read all my Image books in trade and it’s going to be a long 6 months wait to read more.

To be fair, Image is basically self-publishing with logistical support.

Oblivion Song is Stranger Things (concept not tone/setting) meets RASL meets The Leftovers and is delivered with typical, effortless efficiency and professionalism by Kirkman.
It’s a very accomplished first issue and a pleasure to read. He’s got comics sussed now after years of honing and hundreds of issues.

He tends to work with artists who tell a story well and that’s certainly the case with De Felici. The art is very accomplished albeit a bit too on the ‘cartoony’ side for the more horrorific elements, therefore while the adventure elements are perfectly realised, the horror aspects are less so - it’s not going to be a ‘scary book’ more sci-fi adventure and mystery.
I find horror can completely tank if the art is not suited. The biggest guilty party for that in recent years was when Boo Cook was working on Anderson. Alan Grant’s script’s were spot on but failed to impact because of the art - imagine if Boo Cook had illustrated Satan or any of the Anderson stories that Ranson or Roach did, and how different they would be.

I’m digressing and it’s not as extreme a case here, but it’s hard to take the creatures as a realistic threat, unfortunately.

it’s a great book though, I’m sure it will do well.

I have to echo Ronnie again on x-men red.
Issue 2 was really good.

I really like the team they’ve put together, it feels fresh but classic at the same time.
This is smart exciting x-men comics.

My only complaint would be the cover dress really detracts from the impact of Charest’s superb Nightcrawler image.

I don’t think the big of chunk of white space in the corner is a good idea - they’ve let the designer be the star here and not the cover artist, I’m not down with that at all.

Great reviews, Chris.

Yeah, thanks Chris. Still have Gideon falls and Oblivion song in my to read pile. Will take a look tonight I think. Based on the recommendations here I did pick up x men red 1 and 2. It’s solid x men stuff. Not going to set the world alight, but a definite return to form of sorts, vs the last few years. I’m going to stick with it for an arc or two.

Let us know how you get on with them

The Wild Storm: Michael Cray #5 - More. More like this. For the first time I am actually excited for the next issue.

Sorrentino is without question one of the superstar artists working today. When Mark asks for a new collaborator next time, this is the answer.

And Lemire will be doing his best impression of Tony Stark in response:

You can’t have him, Millar!

I’m going with my old standard of Blanco. He’s so underappreciated and underutilized.

Everyone’s got a price!

Okay I have a plethora of problems with this issue. But before I rant what did you like about it Tom?

My issues with this were (and are not limited to)

Page 15 “The first settlers came from Britain in the 1500’s”

The first European explorer to sight New Zealand was Dutch navigator Abel Tasman on 13 December 1642. Captain James Cook, who reached New Zealand in October 1769 on the first of his three voyages, was the first European explorer to circumnavigate and map New Zealand. From the late 18th century, the country was regularly visited by explorers and other sailors, missionaries, traders and adventurers. Page 15 (same speech bubble)“The tale is they taught the locals to tame the sea”

Traditional fishing was both a practical and a spiritual activity. There were many ingenious methods and tools, from complex calendars to iridescent lures and woven traps. The Maori taught the European settlers about the spawning patterns of the sea life and have always followed a fishing calendar of their own creation. It concerns me as a New Zealander that these basic facts were overlooked and a poor representation of my country and its people. Labeling the opening panel “NEW ZEALAND” gives me absolutely no knowledge of whereabouts this scene is actually located. There is 9,300 miles of coast, the 9th largest in the world. Nine pages later you labeled the location San Francisco rather than America. I understand that the majority of readers do not know any locales in New Zealand but perhaps “Outside Wellington, New Zealand” would be more appropriate. Also, a critique on the artwork (I understand it’s not your doing but I thought it important to mention) If you were to make the comic black and white there is nothing to identify the villagers as being of Maori or Pacific Island descent. They would more than likely be identified as Caucasian and they have no distinguishing features present. Also, their attire is more akin to the immigrants that landed on Plymouth rock and not at all reflective of NZ or it’s culture. Apologies if these thoughts and opinions sound like the nitpicky ranting of a fanboy but I believe everyone deserves equal representation.

Well, I think that every other preceding issue have been that they’ve been boring, padded out, and uninteresting in terms of fights shown and methods.

This kept the analogue in the background, played more on Deathblow inside a weird locale, and even changed things up a bit with a sword fight that wasn’t over in two panels.

It’s not great. But it’s wayyyyyy better than 1-4.

See if 1-4 were so bad - why are you still buying it?

Are you a wildstorm completionist?

I can almost accept watching tv shows you don’t enjoy for several seasons, but spending money on comics you dont like is just weird.

I buy it here and there.
It took a week or two for me to check out 3 and 4 even. And days before I went out to get #5. It’s definitely not something I’m rushing to read on Day 0.

I feel as though since the Michael Cray maxi is set to end right before the start of the final Wild Storm arc, there’s definitely something going to connect. But man, it’s weird to get this reaction when I finally post something positive about this series.

It’s just an observation sorry if it came across as a dig