Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

You might want to take a look at a couple of preview pages.

Just as there are two Garth Ennises, so there’s two Gillens and away from the too-cool hipster Gillen, his stuff tends to be more interesting, much like Ennis when he’s not doing gross-out comedy.

I’ll skim it sometime then.
Yeah, Hipster Gillen is just generally awful. Wic/Div is, for me, the broken clock being right.

Is one of the characters being modeled after Drake going to age well? Hell nah. But it’s better than whinging about name dropping old records.

He hasn’t done much, but I’d place these as being ‘non-hipster Gillen’ :

• Uber
  • Three
  • Mercury Heat

Uber is great. I love Uber.

I like it so much that I actually forgot he was the writer. And I’ve read the latest issue.

Darth Vader, too.

I don’t think Gillen’s a bad writer but that’s the only comic where his writing’s really impressed me.

His Darth Vader is spectacular. I also loved his Journey Into Mystery.

Well, Swamp Thing Winter Special is awesome. Really unexpected and poignant twist at the end. I think someone mentioned that DC included its publicity material at the back? Not in the print edition. It’s also interesting that Kelley diverged from Wein’s script. For instance, I saw panels that didn’t look like they actually budgeted for captions. Or maybe I only think that because I saw them without captions. And some art that was a little confusing, once I saw the intent. But the script style, that’s not really one I’d feel comfortable using. I think the traditional style (at least, the one I’m most familiar with) is a lot more manageable. Still an interesting look into Wein’s thought process, and very considerate as an inclusion.

Good to know because I managed to get a copy from eBay for a bit less than the £15 it was listed at, and the publicity material ruined th package for me - so I’m glad I picked it up because it’s one that will remain in my comic box to come back to over the years

Yeah, the print edition was treated as a prestige format release.

Yes, but I’m working on it *grabs another bottle of vodka

See even No Fun Meadows remembers how much 90’s comics went against his credo. :wink:

Hey, it wasn’t all bad – the 1990s gave us Hellboy, Savage Dragon, and the WildStorm family of titles.

Wait until you read the last issue. As I read it, my jaw slowly dropped with a huge grin on my face when I was done. I mean that literally, no hyperbole.

Most of Sandman, most of Preacher were in the 90s. From Hell, a lot of good stuff went along with the nonsense.

Yeah, and a lot of the Vertigo minis that have been lost to time.

I thought Hellboy, Savage Dragon and especially WildStorm the escape from the horrors of the '90’s!

Is this a mini? How long does it run for?

It’s an on-going.

Oh really?

I had no idea that was the case.

That actually makes it even more appealing to me.

Okay so someone needs to hold my things before I loose my shit completley.

I was listening to iFanboy pick of the week this morning and they mentioned Wildstorm:Michael Cray was set in New Zealand so of course I’m going to jump over to comicology and have a read.

On another thread I was talking about understanding diverse voices and cultural misappropriation so you can understand me when I say what the actual fuck did I just read

Page 1
First of all labeling the opening panel “NEW ZEALAND” gives me absolutely no knowledge of where abouts this scene is actually located. There is 9,300 miles of coast, the 9th largest in the world, Give me a location. Nine pages later you had the decency to label the location San Francisco a little effort could of gone a long way.
Am i being a bit facetious? Possibly but I’m proud of my country and want it pictured in a good light so every little helps

Page 2
Secondly dressing the villagers up as if they just landed on Plymouth rock is just lazy. Isolated community or not a quick google could of helped a more appropriate design.

Page 3
Slapping a lighter shade of brown on the skin and not rendering pacific island features and expecting us to see them as Polynesian or Maori is again lazy. If the comic was in black and white you would assume everyone is Caucasian.

Page 10
Primitive fishing villages don’t exist in New Zealand. Its easier to get food from the supermarket.

Page 14 Arowana are a fresh water fish. They are not native to New Zealand. Cray’s assumption that " Arowana don’t migrate very far" is pretty spot on as they would be dead the minute they hit the fecking ocean.

Page 15 "The first settlers came from Britain in the 1500’s"
Now your just taking the piss.
The first European explorer to sight New Zealand was Dutch navigator Abel Tasman on 13 December 1642. Captain James Cook, who reached New Zealand in October 1769 on the first of his three voyages,[2] was the first European explorer to circumnavigate and map New Zealand. From the late 18th century, the country was regularly visited by explorers and other sailors, missionaries, traders and adventurers.

Page 15 (same speech bubble)"The tale is they taught the local to tame the sea"
Okay now your going to get a slap in the face.
Traditional fishing was both a practical and a spiritual activity. There were many ingenious methods and tools, from complex calendars to iridescent lures and woven traps.
The Maori had their own goddamn fishing calendar and knew when to fish and when to let stocks replenish.
Take your primitive shit somewhere else pal.

So who wrote this patronizing masterpiece?
Bryan Hill. Now admittedly I had never hear of him before. A quick google pointed me to this article

Now this right here really got me wild.
Yes black representation matters but what a hypocrite to not do your homework on New Zealanders and Maori.
I’m absolutely disgusted by this creative team and what little effort they have taken to look at another culture and understand their history.