millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

I didn’t post this yesterday Dave, but that’s a brilliant review.

I am a bit behind on Kill or Be Killed, but I think it is one of the best books on the shelves at the moment.

I realize I’m way late on the Green Lantern topic. I guess I’m not surprised that people find the concept boring. I mean, Green Lantern is basically a glorified space cop with a flashy power that allows cartoonish effects. It seems to lampoon the concept of superheroes. And it’s always taken so seriously! In fact, no superhero outside of Marvel has ever been taken as continuously seriously than Green Lantern.

But I’ve always loved Green Lantern. I think it’s as pure a superhero concept as there’s ever been, in part because he’s a glorified space cop. But I’m an imagination guy. If a concept is built on imagination, on the guy needing to focus all the time and have the chance to solve all his problems not just because he has the ultimate magic ring but because he still needs to know how to use it… I was familiar enough with what Hal Jordan’s legacy was, as a kid, to appreciate how much he’d chafed at being a space cop, and that added an interesting wrinkle to the fact that I’d naturally gravitated to the character because…my favorite color’s green. So there was a whole history behind the character, even before I could grasp the history, how there had been multiple humans in the role, and even everything that happened to Guy Gardner well before he was a joke in the Justice League (“One punch!!!”). And then “Emerald Twilight” happened and Kyle Rayner, who seemed to answer every request I didn’t even realize I had about Green Lantern, and then Geoff Johns comes around and hugely expands the mythology…

Granted, I still think there’s huge untapped potential that inexplicably never seems to have occurred to the people writing these comics, but I have stayed a fan through several eras at this point (as roughly outlined) and the concept still fascinated me. And I still think it’s the most pure superhero concept imaginable. Here’s a guy (and guy, and Guy, and gal, and all the aliens) who is given superpowers, is drafted into the concept, and every time there’s still personal justification for why he makes the choice to be Green Lantern, and what he does with the ring. And the powers are literally whatever he can imagine!

Every new writer has the potential to unlock Green Lantern’s full potential. Johns has come closest. Humphries has done wonders working on what Johns did, and that’s been fun to watch.

Boring? It’s possible and it’s certainly happened. But the concept? I can’t imagine…

For me its not so much GL as a concept but Hal Jordan as a character that is boring. He has the awesome magic ring and the best he can do is a big green boxing glove.
He comes across as what a nerdy comics writer thinks should be cool.

I completely agree.

I really like the concept of Green Lantern. The idea of having a magic wishing ring that does whatever you want is a great idea.

I think that Hal Jordan is a bit of a Mary Sue as a character though. There is no real character there except for the “No Fear” thing. He is a bit like the Jack Ryan of Superheroes.

I have been reading the Green Lanterns book recently by Sam Humphries. It plays off the idea of two inexperienced GL’s finding their feet. It works a bit like a buddy cop story. I really like how they deal with Jessica’s anxiety as well.

Yeah that can be a bit of a problem.
That’s why I like when writers take advantage of Hal’s brashness. Like his first issue of the New 52, where he’s powerless and jumps from one building to another to save someone…only to have disrupted what was actually just someone filming a movie.

That’s the sort of reason why I love Hal. He’s bold. So, Earth One gives me hope due to what they’ve said.

That sounds similar to how this cracking team-up starts.

It’s weird, to me, that everyone fixates on the giant boxing glove. It’s the go-to cliche. But it’s like saying Green Arrow is defined by his trick arrows, or Batman by Adam West, or Superman by Krypto, or the Justice League by the Wonder Twins. If you’re not a fan of something you tend to fixate on an element you think defines it, but you end up exaggerating the importance of that element well beyond its significance. I know the Avengers movies aren’t just about snark, but if if I’m feeling particularly ornery I’ll still say they’re most interested in snark. Which again, isn’t true.

I was one of the people who started the Green Lantern thing and to be clear I think it’s great that people are into whatever they’re into in comics. I love posts like the one above where people go on about the properties they love.

Hal Jordan is one of my favorite characters, but he’s been stuck in a rut.

One need look no further than NEW FRONTIER to see what that character can and should be.

A friend of mine had her whole POV of Jordan changed irrevocably toward the positive by his bit in Justice.

There are a lot of characters I’ve liked more in theory than in practice. I think there is a lot to love about Hal Jordan – this raw expression of human achieve, the roaring flame of earthly endeavor – but rarely has that been put forth or brought out in the comics. For various reasons they’ve always been primarily plot driven, leaving the more interesting and potentially powerful elements of the character to languish.

But I think there’s a reason that, say, Neil Gaiman always thought he could do a great Hal Jordan story. There’s a number of threads to pull there; in the way that the mythology and concept interacts with that particular character, at least.

Yeah, with Hal the ideas of human fallibility and determination are really intertwined. My favorite Hal stories make it their bread and butter. Hal has almost died so many times, but he’s driven by the entire conceit of having a second wind. It’s something so engaging when executed with energy.

Hal Jordan was born to the Space Race as an avatar of Chuck Yeager, a man so tough he flew the X-1 beyond the sound barrier for the first time with a broken arm and smart enough to become a General. That was the prototype, as was Eastwood’s Man With No Name. This was a quieter, smarter version of John Wayne. And of course he knew Fear - knew it well, made friends, took Fear out to dinner, seduced Fear and overcame it.

Sorry Gaiman, but I’d rather see Miqque here write a Hal story.

Seconded.

Ya. Hal was a character from a different era. I’m hopeful that the new Earth One book will be a bit of an update.

Consequently, I think the Fantastic Four have a similar problem. They were also characters born in the Space Race that have never quite made the jump. I thought @Mark_Millar and @bryanhitch’s book brought them into the modern era quite well but it didn’t seem to catch on like I hoped it would.

Hickman was probably the one who best brought them into the modern era.

Fantastic Four’s problem is that is a concept that doesn’t work with cynicism and rejects cynicism, yet we live in cynical times, so the audience is limited. In that respect it’s more in common with Superman, I think.

My issue with GL is that I think the power is pretty dumb. And the concept of “space police” is kind of corny to me. For the record I personally dislike SHIELD and I’m not a big fan of Nova Corps, either. All of which I see as the same thing. But obviously all of these things have their fans and that’s great.

Er… yes, and…? :confused:

That’s a bad thing

:see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: LA LA LA