millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

It’s been ages since I read it, but I remember really enjoying it. However, I read it as one big batch of 12-issues, with the Coup D’Etat story as a set-up. It did take some time to get going.

Yeah, I’m planning on picking up Coup D’Etat too as I gather it’s pretty essential (but again, I’ve never read it).

In a way it could be said Millar set that shot up, but never fired it - so Brubaker did. :wink:

Brubaker’s Authority was alright, but came along far too late to save the concept. Coming as it did after the failed mature reader’s imprint at Wildstorm. It was very safe and lacked bite.

Sleeper and Point Blank were far, far better. If his Authority has been given the creative freedom to reach those heights it could have been fantastic.

As I said above, it really isn’t “a direct continuation”. It’s only a sequel to Watchmen in the same way that Glass is a sequel to Unbreakable.

The Green Lantern #5

It feels a bit repetitive to keep coming back every month to say nice things about this book. Luckily, they’re different nice things each time. That’s because each issue has had a very different feel to it, while still working as part of the same overall framework that Morrison and Sharp have been setting up from the start.

Say what you like about Morrison’s work, but he always has a clear and distinctive vision for the characters he works on, and I’m enjoying his deliberately pulp-y throwback take on Green Lantern. Here, he seems to deliberately play to Sharp’s strengths by putting Hal Jordan through the wringer in a gothic gauntlet of gruesome ghoulishness on a perpetually-twilight vampire planet.

And Sharp knows how to do gothic horror.

The entire issue drips with atmosphere, and it makes for a satisfying read even though the action is fairly brief and intermittent and the script is deliberately overwrought and packed with purple prose.

There are also some moments of levity that help to keep things from being too po-faced and serious, such as the background detail here that populates the issue’s vampire planet with a few familiar faces.

It’s the closing pages of the issue that really elevate it from good to great, though. The combination of a decent twist (that puts Morrison’s entire run in a new context and makes sense of a few oddities from earlier issues) and a great cliffhanger really lift the book at the end, making you come out of it eager to read more.

My only complaint is that the ad placement in the book is often cackhanded and really interrupts the flow of reading the story, but that’s only a minor niggle, and one that won’t afflict the comic once it’s collected together with the other chapters in a more permanent format. And it will be, as this is yet another Morrison run that’s destined to go down as a bit of a modern classic and a go-to run for the character.

I’ve only read the first three issues, and those pick up from the end of Watchmen in what appears to be the same universe as the original, and certainly aping the same storytelling style and techniques as the original, before leading some of the remaining characters into an interaction with the DC universe.

Personally I’d call that a direct continuation of Watchmen - but I’ve only read three issues, so I may be missing a later twist that puts it all in a new context (maybe something that implies that these aren’t really the same original characters from Watchmen and the world we see in these early issues isn’t really the same one as the world of Moore and Gibbons’ book?). In which case fair enough.

Shame you dropped off the other bit of my quote, Dave.

Sorry, it wasn’t my intention to misquote you. I haven’t seen Glass and I thought it was a sequel to Unbreakable, so I didn’t understand what you meant by it. I certainly didn’t mean to misrepresent what you were saying.

No problem. I assumed you might have followed the discussion on the movie thread a few weeks ago.

Glass is set in the same world as Unbreakable (and Split), features many of the same characters, picking up a short time after both movies, but it tells a fundamentally different story. The characters from the early movies allow the creator to bypass story set up and character introduction.

Much like the use of the Watchmen characters allow Johns to avoid having to create a brand new omnipotent character.

As well as capitalise on the commercial benefit of brand recognition. I’m not blind to the marketing behind the decision.

Ah ok, I get where you’re coming from. I knew Glass had characters from both Unbreakable and Split in it but I thought it was a fairly straight continuation, it sounds like something a bit different though.

I guess it’s really semantics whether you want to call it a ‘direct continuation’ or not (and it’s something I feel hugely strongly about really), it’s still playing in that world and picking up those elements of the original.

Pretty great week for comics.

The Green Lantern #5 - This book continues to feel like DC loaned the character out to another publisher to just go wild with. It truly carries the space cop vibe right down to the reveal that we have been building to a deep undercover story with this issue. It’s almost like intergalactic Miami Vice. It’s kind of all over the place but I like it.

Justice League #19 - Still really loving this series. It’s like an ongoing event book. Each arc is a major story within itself but all connects to a larger meta-arc that has been building since Dark Nights: Metal. Mxyzptlk was a character I had to really warm up to a long time ago and even now it really depends on how he’s handled. This is a really fun use of him and I’m curious to see just how much he’s fucking with the Justice League in this story. The cliffhanger to this issue was pretty incredible.

Young Justice #3 - There are still a lot of questions that are slowly being answered with this team. This issue focused a bit on Connor Kent/Superboy and how he came to be in Gemworld. There are still some mysteries and almost as many questions asked as answered but it’s all fun and intriguing.

Conan the Barbarian #4 - Still loving this series and how it bounces from young, nomad Conan to older, King Conan and places in-between with each story able to stand much on its own. This issue focused on a story of Conan as king and how that role chaffed him. It was good fun and mostly done-in-one. If you’re a Conan fan, you should definitely give this series a try.

Maybe it’s a “sidequel”? :wink:

Honestly I don’t recall much of it. I recall thinking that it was good but didn’t enjoy it as much as previous versions. Probably not fair to that creative team to list hem in that way, my point was to use a run widely lauded and one not as much.

Gotcha!

No, they’re saving that for the spinoff series about the newsstand.

Isn’t one of the new Rorschach in Doomsday Clock the kid from the newsstand?

I haven’t kept up with series beyond the first or second issue. It was sold a as a big Superman story and didn’t even have him in it in the issues I read. Not sure if it’s changed since then.

That’s heavily implied in #1-3 but not confirmed, I don’t think. It probably is later though.

He had a few pages at the end of #1, but yeah, I can imagine being disappointed if you’d been set up to expect a Superman book.

Ah, sorry. It’s been a while since I’ve read the book. Contrary to most people’s opinions, the book was a little too Watchmen for me. I’m glad others enjoy it but it just wasn’t my cuppa. :wink:

To be honest it’s not very memorable, just him waking up from a nightmare next to Lois.