millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

It’s the fact that it’s only imitating it in the most superficial ways, too. It doesn’t feel like there’s much actual understanding of what made the original comic work.

I’m enjoying it.

Tell him I can send him a bunch that will make him reassess that statement

There’s a real danger of people going over the top on this

I’m fine with “I don’t like it”

“Worst comic I’ve ever read” is just attention seeking bullshit

Logically, one comic must be the worst comic you’ve ever read. Without knowing exactly which comics Robert’s friend has read, we can’t know whether he’s being truthful of hyperbolic.

Ill have a stab at it

Well, he just said it to me so I don’t know if he was seeking attention.

Besides everyone knows the worst comic of all time is the 9/11 issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

Am I alone in thinking that DC putting the Watchmen into the DC Universe is an error of epic proportions?

It’s wholly unfair to both the Watchmen and the DCU.

Good God, it’s Marvel-level shortsightedness and stupidity.

4fac03ab0fef8340dc07f8d0081d924bc7ff4d0f_hq

How is it unfair to either?

Unfair is a poor choice of words here. Neither Watchmen nor the DCU have feelings, they won’t suffer. They won’t even suffer any reputational damage, because no matter how bad this series is we will all have forgotten it by next year. (I’m assuming it will be finished by next year. Yeah, I’m an optimist :wink: .) You can’t even say it’s unfair to the fans, because if you don’t like the book you can simply choose not to buy it. Nobody actually loses anything by Doomsday Clock existing. Well, Geoff Johns’ reputation may take a bit of a knock. But I’m sure he factored that in when he took the job.

_20190309_090047

Alternatively, for those who are enjoying it (and there are several people who are) we get a pretty epic exploration of what Rebirth is all about.

This isn’t about the Watchmen characters being integrated into the DCU, nor is it a sequel to Watchmen. They are a means to an end. An attention seeking gambit, and/ or a way to further lay claim of ownership over the original work. Regardless, that’s not what Doomsday Clock is about.

It is a story exploring the power and mythology of the iconic DCU superheroes, juxtaposed against the pretty relentlessly dark and unforgiving world that they find themselves in post- Dr Manhattan’s meddling.

It’s pure science fiction. Using story to comment on the world we see outside our window and on TV.

It will also end with the return of the Legion Of Super Heroes, David. Be patient.

I don’t think you are alone but I don’t agree with you

It’s hard to keep coming up with story ideas, I’ve found the whole thing pretty interesting

I don’t see why it’s stupid. Again fine with folk not liking it.

At the end of the day, DC own these characters, which were repurposed and rebranded Charlton characters in the first place. They can do what they want with them. I don’t think Watchmen is sacred, I also don’t think Watchmen is changed or degraded by what is happening now.

I don’t know what your personal situation is, but most of the complaints come from those who are not really following DC since Rebirth and are just dipping in.
To me Doomsday clock is integral to what Johns has been doing with the DC universe since Rebirth. I don’t think dipping in gives a full flavour of the magnitude of the work.

I also think that it might be best waiting until the series is finished, before commenting too heavily on the point of it. As a finite series, commenting on the value of it now is a bit like criticising a movie or a book before you know the ending.

No, it won’t.

It might end with the publishing of a team using that name. But that won’t make them the Legion of Super-Heroes. (Though naturally I will still be buying it. That’s the curse of fandom.)

I completely agree with this.

They can do whatever they want with the characters and it doesn’t take anything away from the original story for me.

I see it like the difference between a great run on a comic and a run that’s not so great. Brubaker on Authority doesn’t diminish my love for Ellis or Millar’s Authority.

Did you not like Johns’ previous work with the Legion? Action Comics, etc.?

Was it written in the 70’s? :wink:

I’m curious, what didn’t work for you on that 12-issue run Brubaker-Ngyuen did?

I pretty much agree. To me it’s never been about treating the original as sacred in that sense - otherwise I wouldn’t have even tried Doomsday Clock, just on principle.

It’s been more about whether any continuation (whether prequel or sequel) could conceivably add anything to the original, especially given that the original story that was so tightly-structured and self-contained.

Not to mention matching the incredibly high quality of the original book. If the original Watchmen is in any way ‘sacred’ or special, it’s because of that.

It’s become such a cliché to unthinkingly call it the best superhero book ever that I think it’s easy to forget what does make it so good. But when we did the Watchmen book club thread a couple of years back it reminded me just how dense the book is in terms of layers of meaning, multiple different interactions between the words and pictures, commentary and subtext - and that’s before you get to the sections that are just virtuoso comics writing and art in their own right, even aside from all the clever-clever bits. It’s one of those situations where there’s just a magical chemistry between the creators, lightning-in-a-bottle stuff.

Doing a direct continuation that is going to bear such close comparison to the original is always going to be a hiding to nothing, but especially when you know there’s going to be no way to truly recapture what made it special, short of getting Moore and Gibbons back to do it themselves.

(It would be like trying to make a sequel to the original Star Wars trilogy decades afterwards, and thinking you could get away with just aping the original movies superficially, knowing you could never really capture what actually made the original movies so successful and groundbreaking. Hey, wait a minute…)

Anyway, Doomsday Clock #1-3 hasn’t made me think that the series has the potential to really add anything to Watchmen or really be that worth reading in its own right, so I don’t feel inclined to come back to it.

But it’s good that others are getting more out of it than I am, as it means that Johns and Frank aren’t entirely putting their efforts to waste.

I’m interested in hearing more on this too, as I’ve never read it but I’m planning to pick up the collection that’s out in the next few weeks.