millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

It was wonderful

Agreed. There are a whole bunch of things that make this feel like DC loaned the property out. The storytelling, art, humor, staging, panel design and several other things feel more like 2000AD. It’s a really interesting experiment on DC’s part.

In other news, it’s that day again. What’re you picking up this week? What’re you reading?

Looks like Superman #7 and Conan The Barbarian #2 for me today.

I had Conan 2 on the list but took it off after reading 1 which I struggled to finish as it was so dull. Having said that, I’m keen to know if people think 2 was an improvement.

(I wish the creative teams were switched. Asrar’s art does nothing for me whereas I really like Garney but he’s teamed with Duggan who I don’t rate at all)

Only Gideon Falls #10 for me today.

I’m struggling to finish this post because it’s so dull… :wink:

I really like Asrar. He’s one of the reasons I’m giving the book a shot. So my review might not be much help to you.

I think he’s a good artist - very much Immonen influenced.

But I don’t think he works on Conan, it was definitely part of the problem for me.

Came home to a box of accumulated pre-orders :slight_smile:

BETTIE PAGE : HALLOWEEN SPECIAL (2018) ONE-SHOT
FATHOM (2018) #3-6
HACK / SLASH : RESURRECTION (2017) #10-12
HACK / SLASH VS. CHAOS (2018) #1 -2
LADY MECHANIKA : LA BELLE DAME SANS MERCI (2018) #2 , 3 (Of 3)
NANCY IN HELL (2018) #2 , 3 (Of 4)
RED SONJA (2017) HALLOWEEN SPECIAL : ONE-SHOT
ROGUES : SHADOW OVER GERADA (2018) #1
SPAWN (1992) #289 - 292
TAROT : WITCH OF THE BLACK ROSE (2000) #111, 112
TRUE BELIEVERS WHAT IF (2018) JANE FOSTER FOUND HAMMER OF THOR
TRUE BELIEVERS WHAT IF (2018) KRAVEN THE HUNTER KILLED SPIDER-MAN
TRUE BELIEVERS WHAT IF (2018) SILVER SURFER POSSESSED THE INFINITY GAUNTLET
TRUE BELIEVERS WHAT IF (2018) SPIDER-MAN HAD RESCUED GWEN STACY
TRUE BELIEVERS WHAT IF (2018) THE ALIEN COSTUME POSSESSED SPIDER-MAN
TRUE BELIEVERS WHAT IF (2018) THE FANTASTIC FOUR HAD DIFFERENT SUPER-POWERS
VAMPIRELLA (2017) HALLOWEEN SPECIAL ONE-SHOT
VAMPIRELLA / DEJAH THORIS (2018) #1
VAMPIRELLA / REANIMATOR (2018) #1
VAMPIRELLA : ROSES FOR THE DEAD (2018) #2 (Of 4)
VAMPIRONICA (2018) #1, 3, 4, 5
WITCHBLADE (2017) #7 - 10

split this topic #3902

20 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Local Comic Shop Experience

I wasn’t planning to continue buying Fantastic Four but I saw this was a new arc featuring Doom and Galactus and thought, “well that sounds like the FF I know,” so I bought it, and it was.

I really liked this issue. Hopefully Slott’s finding his groove now that the return and marriage are behind him. It will be interesting to see what the Reed/Doom relationship is like now and how much Doom’s time as a hero has changed his perspective.

Superman #7, page #1 - I’m not crying, it’s just dusty in here …

The weird thing to me was finally establishing the time that’s passed. Weeks? Like, less than a month. The emotion was overdone for the amount of time in both reunions in that case.

And I say that as a guy who breaks out in tears every time he has to fly away from his family for two weeks.

So you think your family is more important that Superman’s? :wink:

Yeah. That was a bit weird. But more so with Lois’ absence and their reunion in Action Comics - three weeks is hardly enough time to have had the dramatic impact it seems to have had at the Planet. Missing Jon that much though feels more honest, if maybe a bit overdone. It’s like a part of you is missing when the kids are away.

I’ll give you that. My reaction was probably more to the Lois reunion, which should have been more like, “Surprise! I’m home early from my business conference!”

My family is way more important than Superman’s. To me at least. I mean, I’m arguing about this while ignoring my daughter, so who’s to say?

Superman #7 - I really loved the previous Tomasi/Gleason iteration of this book. So I’ve been a bit fearful of Jon’s return as I feel like the family dynamic between him, Lois and Clark were a huge part of what made the book work. The one thing I wasn’t a huge fan of from that era was bring back Jor-El especially as a crazy asshole. I feel like Bendis stuck 90+% of it. My one qualm would probably the the 3 weeks thing (and maybe how young Jon looks on the cover). Jon’s POV seems to be sufficient with 7 years passing. 3 months would have worked about bit better I think but that’s small potatoes. I feel like the relationships feel spot on and am interested to see more of what happened with Jon and Jor-El. Great stuff.

Conan The Barbarian #2 - Aaron really gets what a Conan story should feel like. I love the blood smear on the opening map to show where this story is taking place. This story picks up in a completely different time and place than the last issue with only a marginal connection. As I’ve said before, that’s one of the things I love about Conan stories, how they weave back and forth in his timeline. Asrar’s art is amazing again, really getting the nitty gritty of Conan without being gratuitous. The one bizarre thing is the depictions of the Picts in the story. They look more like Native Americans with a bit of African tribal influence than natives from Great Britain. The weird thing is it somehow works. I’m really loving this book and am on as long as Asrar has art chores. I may re-evaluate after that.

Did anyone pick up Invaders? I have a fondness for the team and the books they’ve had but something about this iteration tells me it’s going to be canceled before 12 issues.
Tell me it’s a mini and I’ll pick it up.

Every Marvel book is a mini these days, Will. Go for it :+1:t3: