millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

I dropped out of Kill Or Be Killed and skipped My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies; so, it’s been a couple of years since I last read a Brubaker/ Phillips book. I approached Criminal #1 with a little trepidation, wondering if it would be as good as I remembered. Happy to say that, yes, it very much is. A one off story, continuing the uber Lawless arc, but also a great reminder of what this book is about - messed up people, doing messed up things. Good stuff.

I appreciated the book by book run down in the back, reminding me of what came before, and making me want to pull out the back issues.

What? You mean you don’t own the CRIMINAL hardcovers?! Why not?!!

:wink:

This isn’t the Trades thread, man :yum:

The Green Lantern #1 was interesting. It read very 80s, if that makes sense, and Liam Sharpe’s art is fantastic.

Shuri #1 was a very strong first issue that has to do a lot of heavy lifting - tying into the T’Challa in space story, establishing a supporting cast, and bridging the Coates and Hudlin Shuris with the insanely popular film version. Okurafor manages to make it all work and is aided by some fun art by Leonardo Romero.

In Batman, did Damien drug Bruce? Is that what was going on? I feel like I missed an issue but I know I didn’t

This arc is weird. That’s all I got.

The Green Lantern #3 - This book continues to feel like DC loaned out the characters to 2000AD. It’s so different from any other DC book that I’m not sure how I feel about it. The issues seemed to have a bit of done-in-one with some continued narrative connected. There’s a lot to like but there’s also this too-cool-for-school undercurrent that is trying to outsmart itself. I’m probably still on for now.

Martian Manhunter #2 - This is another DC book that is really outside of the norm. I’m glad they’re trying these different takes. The closest thing I can think to related it to feel-wise is maybe King’s Vision series. There is a lot of origin and groundwork being laid for J’onn J’onzz with some new takes on Mars and how its society worked. I’m loving the story and the art on this one.

Prodigy #2 - Second issues always feel like they have to do a lot of heavy lifting. This one is no different. It largely introduces us to the villains (who are real pieces of work) and their plot along with our title character and some of his methodology. I’m excited to see where this mystery goes and pumped for the eventual Netflix series.

I’ve read a bunch of new stuff recently but just wanted to note the two most recent: Superman #6 (that cover is hugely misleading! but the fight between Rogol Zaar and Zod is epic, and I love Superman’s agony over how to react) and the rest of Steve Orlando’s Wonder Woman, which I thought was brilliant when I read the first few issues, and the others did not disappoint. It’s some of my all-time favorite Wonder Woman comics, and it’s a shame that he didn’t get to spend more time on the title. Maybe DC will give him another opportunity at some point.

Wasn’t that amazing? I love the change in layout that reflected the tone. The first part of the book felt very much like Superman #75, the finale to the Death of Superman story. I really loved how deeply conflicted Superman looked and then got waylaid with another zinger.

Orlando is writing Martian Manhunter. See my review above for issue #2. I’m really enjoying the book.

I read the first issue. I also noted the good things said about his Electric Warriors. His Wonder Woman, though, was itself electric, expanding the narrative in ways others have been trying but not particularly succeeding. It’s like the Grant Morrison version of Rucka’s Embassy run.

Starting the year relaxed :slight_smile:
UNNATURAL TP VOL 01 AWAKENING (everyone should have this!!)
ANIMOSITY #17 (MR)
ANIMOSITY #18 (MR)
ANIMOSITY EVOLUTION #9 (MR)
COVER #3 (OF 6) (MR)
COVER #4 (OF 6) (MR)
DISSENSION WAR ENTERAL #4
STRANGERS IN PARADISE XXV #8
VAMPIRELLA DEJAH THORIS #2 CVR A ANACLETO
VAMPIRELLA DEJAH THORIS #3 CVR A ANACLETO
ELRIC VOL. 3: THE WHITE WOLF (Titan Comics) HC

I feel like King drugged us instead.

I’m sure there’s going to be some kind of follow up with it, but it’s just so out of the blue.

Like mother, like son.

Attaboy!

I’ve been reading it monthly.

I think the first 2 or 3 issues were fantastic but i’ve started losing interest. I found Issues 5 and 6 have really tailed off, I don’t think I’m going to read on any further.

even better then the BWS series!

I read the TPB and as such it reads best, I am sure!

I’m in the process of writing a very short story about how Elric ended up in a lime-green pointy hat.

The Green Lantern #3

What a ride this was! I love that this is such a compressed book, jumping from high-concept to high-concept at quite a pace, without it ever feeling overwhelming or unclear.

As provocative as that cover is, it’s really only a small part of the story, which goes through lots of different phases before it reaches its surprising conclusion.

A lot of people have commented that this book feels a bit 2000AD in tone, and I think that’s as much for the humour as the artwork. Morrison injects the story with irreverent and absurd touches that deliberately undercut the tension at times - which is very effective in a story that’s as ridiculously high-stakes as this one is. (I particularly love Hal’s exasperation with the reactions of people on Earth to their plight.)

Sharp’s artwork is great too - nicely detailed and textured without feeling overworked, and inventive in its use of layouts.

The only part that I find a bit baffling is the cliffhanger ending, but that’s probably because I’m unfamiliar with the current GL status quo. Is this behaviour in-character for Hal? I’m guessing not. Can GL rings kill? I thought there were safeguards that prevented them doing that. I wonder if we’re meant to suspect that this isn’t Hal at all, but is the doppelganger from the end of the first issue. I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough.

Anyway, it’s another Wednesday! What’s on the list this week?

I think LoEG: Tempest #4 only hits the UK this week. Can’t wait for that one.

SX360_QL80_TTD