millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

I’ve read at least one of the Elric books along with maybe some of the other Eternal Champion books too. It’s been a while. So I don’t remember exactly what I read. The version I read appears to be out of print but had the stories in chronological order from Elric’s origin on.

https://www.amazon.com/Elric-Black-Sword-Eternal-Champion/dp/156504195X/

A bit like the Conan books, I got bored with the stories over time and just left off. I should add that I’m not big on series as the repetition often does little for me. So I tend to read the first (and possibly second) book in a series or set and that’s enough for me. I’ve done the same with Tarzan, John Carter, Dune and several other series.

Savage Sword is the good stuff.

@Will if you’re looking to read some old Conan books, that’s where you go. The Dark Horse collections are cheap (or at least they were) and robust. Great stories, a little on the corny side but that’s as they should be, amazing black-and-white art. Lots of Barry Windsor-Smith, John Buscema, Jim Starlin. Neal Adams is kicking around in there. I probably haven’t read as much as Jerry but this to me is THE definitive Conan run.

Agreed; and don’t forget the two-issue guest stint by Gil Kane during BWS’ initial run.

I got a late delivery yesterday of some comics that came out just before Christmas, so I only just got around to reading this:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Tempest #3

While I’ve been enjoying this series so far, issue #3 is the first time that it really feels like it’s hit the creative heights of previous miniseries.

As the plot starts to kick into high gear there’s a level of experimentation with format here that’s almost on a par with Black Dossier - the story switches from a 1950s girls comic to newspaper comic-strips to a fumetti photo-comic to an illustrated-storybook approach, and then gives way to a dazzling 3D section (complete with enclosed glasses) as the characters find out what has happened to the Blazing World in the wake of last issue’s cliffhanger.

The downsides? If I’m honest, the LOEG mythos has grown so complicated now that I struggle to keep track of it all (who’s alive, who’s dead, who’s working for who and so on), especially with all the jumping around in time that the last few stories have done.

But this is still a thrillingly innovative and unpredictable series, crammed with interesting ideas - and the fun literary allusions and references that have sometimes threatened to overwhelm the main story in the past are firmly back in ‘Easter Egg’ territory, never getting in the way of the climactic tale that Moore and O’Neill are telling here.

Don’t let the US$4.99 price tag put you off - this comic is so dense that it’ll take you three times as long to read as most other US$3.99 or US$2.99 books (do any of the latter still exist?). There’s a huge amount of value for money here - even outside of the main story there’s a fun text piece, amusing letters page and an enjoyably absurd backup strip about a group of cosmic heroes - with more ideas in a single issue than most comics fit in an entire arc.

Can’t wait for issue #4.

And another book from Christmas week that only just got delivered.

Klaus And The Crying Snowman

This is the third of the Klaus Christmas Special one-shots, and is maybe the best of the lot.

That’s partly because it ties its story to a strong emotional core, with the gradually-unravelled mystery of the titular snowman and Klaus’ sympathetic, compassionate handling of the story’s baddies both providing really satisfying and heartfelt payoffs to the smart setups earlier in the issue.

It’s also partly due to Dan Mora’s art, which just seems to get better and better. I love this book’s take on Santa as seen through a heavy metal/superhero lens, as it always gives Mora something visually interesting to get his teeth into.

And in a book where Morrison seems to be consciously upping the ante to give his artist more and more weird concepts to realise on the page, Mora rises to the challenge.

That battle with a weird alien tree-creature is an early highlight, as is a retelling of the Ragnarok myth in this stunning double-page splash.

Oh, and did I mention that one of the heroes of this issue is a melting blob of snow and ice and another is a cryptically poetic red-caped goat-man?

It’s the kind of book that could be a mess without a solid artist to bring all the elements together and make them feel like part of the same whole, but Mora pulls it off - also managing to conjure up the most sympathetic snowman this side of Raymond Briggs.

It’s no exaggeration to say that this book evokes All-Star Superman at times, partly for the essential warmth and humanity that Morrison pours into the story and partly because Mora is clearly an artist who is able to tune in to Morrison’s wavelength just as intuitively as Frank Quitely.

Missing out on reading this book during the festive period could have risked robbing it of some of its magic; but instead, this is like finding an extra present that was hidden at the back of the Christmas tree.

You won’t have to wait long, the 4th issue is releasing this wednesday.

About #3, I enjoyed, and it was nice seeing some places and people that we have seen mainly mentioned in text pieces and the such. I guess Prospero will be launching a full scale attack, as it was hinted in Century

Will miss this madness when it is over, but it will be nice for LOEG to have closure. Now if someone would sort out whatever is keeping Black Dossier from having an english digital release…

I saw Klaus and was tempted to buy it; might have to go back and get it now. Do I have to have read the previous issues to follow?

Not really, all you need to know is that it’s about Santa as a magical superhero who interacts with a world of cosmic and fantastical creatures. The mythology is all quite loose and the stories all quite self-contained.

NCDlogo2014-blue

So what’s everyone picking up?

The big book for me this week is the return of Brubaker & Phillips’ Criminal.

Can’t wait to read that one.

Plus, there’s the latest issue of Morrison & Sharp’s The Green Lantern:

Good week!

For me:
JOE GOLEM #5
BITTER ROOT #3
CEMETERY BEACH #5
CRIMINAL #1
PRODIGY #2

and I’ll take a look at the DREAD GODS TPB from IDW, written by Ron Marz and art by Tom Raney and Bart Sears. Sounds like a late 90’s throwback.

Big week for me:

The Green Lantern #3
Justice League #15
Martian Manhunter #2
Young Justice #1
Hit-Girl #12
Prodigy #2

Really looking forward to Young Justice. Sounds like Bendis is really pumped for that book.

Criminal #1: This was a great read. A meaty book at 36 story pages (with more for the afterword and text feature), the issue tells a great story that keeps readers guessing with some deft twists and some interesting shifts in focus that mean you never quite know what’s coming next - other than it’s another great Brubaker and Phillips crime yarn.

Brubaker says in the afterword that he wants to approach the entire series in the same way, mixing standalone stories with multi-parters and jumping around in time and between various groups of characters, so that readers never know quite what to expect from issue to issue. I’m all for it as it sounds like a great way of keeping the series fresh and allowing the creators to experiment in whatever directions they choose.

A final note on the art: Jacob Phillips (Sean’s son) has started doing colours on the book, having done so on the My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies OGN. His work here is very good - atmospheric and moody in keeping with the usual Criminal tone, and quite different to the more pastel-infused approach to Junkies. He’s an excellent addition to the team.

Great to see this book back.

Aye.
Call it nostalgia, call it relief, but this was the best thing I’ve read by Brubaker and Phillips in years.
Hell, it’s probably already my favorite Lawless story.

Didn’t realise that was out already!!

I’m a couple weeks behind on some digital stuff as I was reading a bunch of stuff off my shelves and I’m enforced a ‘no iPhone/iPad after 8.30pm’ rule on myself to help sort out some sleep issues.

But I’m keen to see how this is.

I’ve switched to trade on all my brubaker and phillips stuff, because I know I’m going to want to have it on the shelves alongside the rest of their books - but it’s going to be hard to resist double dipping this - particularly with how great both Kill or Be Killed and …Junkies were

Is there a lot of back matter here that would justify purchasing digitally, knowing that I’m going to pick up the trade anyway?

I woke up this morning, excitedly telling my wife and daughter that today was the day that YJ#1 comes out. Could you hear their eyes rolling?

I have my copy waiting for me at home. Haven’t been this excited about a new release since Tynion’s Detective Comics run. Please don’t be shite.

Criminal #1: Pretty much what I already said as a response to Dave’s own review. It’s a stellar return to form. Marking a genuine surprise for me - not only in making for an exciting and refreshing start to a Lawless story, but also feeling much more in tune with the heights both creators are capable of that has been laid low by recent years. It’s pretty amazing to see this series again and I can’t wait for more.

Kick-Ass #11: The penultimate issue of this arc and I have to say that the baton was passed quite capably. Keeping much of the insane and raucous plotting and thrills. This issue doesn’t have quite the same spark as previous penultimate issues - well marked for how crazy and dire they could be - but it’s a solid and engaging read. Can’t wait for the finale. Hope to see KA stay in stable hands.

The Wrong Earth #5: Another great installment of what I think is the star player in the Ahoy Comics opening wave. Things are getting more serious, more dangerous, and not a little bit more scary. But the heart and life in the book carries it forward with the same amount of fun momentum and classic vibrancy. It’s also opened itself and its story up considerably - which has me excited for the future.

The Green Lantern #3: It’s pretty astounding how I didn’t start off impressed much with The Green Lantern but now by the third issue it’s reached every aspect of what I love about Hal but with incredibly unique bite. Sharp is giving this book the art of his career and Morrison is truly writing a great alien cop book. He didn’t lie about that, and the contrast and dynamics that are created from Hal’s bold and brash policeman’s outlook vs. the greater cosmic tendencies of Morrison create a firework of a book. This issue in general was insanely good and has already started to supplant some of my favorite Hal stories ever.

Young Justice #1: A haze of bright colors and kitschy dialogue. Messy, but not unreadable. I feel it’ll satiate people eager to see characters return, but it’s overall a very dissipating and forgettable read.

The Dreaming #5: Not that engaging after a strong rising motion. Hopefully the finale of the arc will make up for that.

I hear they kill Wally in the first issue just for shits and grins. :wink:

I’m honestly not particularly tied to those character (except for maybe Conner) but it sounds hugely exciting.

I was pretty excited about this. I pretty much pass on teen books these days - getting really hard to identify with the leads - but the core group were MY teen heroes when I was a teen and first got into DC. First issue was a great, chaotic start. Everyone’s status quo is kind of the same question mark that happens to every character returning in the post-Rebirth era, but there’s enough hook to keep me coming back.

Bart, in particular, feels like a great refresh that’s true to the character.

It depends how much value you place on it, but the extra material this issue consists of:

• A Brubaker text piece at the back providing a potted history of his working relationship with Phillips and a recap of all the Criminal stories so far
  • A Kim Morgan text piece on Blood Simple
  • And a Sean Phillips double-page illustration to accompany the text piece