millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

Justice League #14 - This book continues to be incredible. Snyder continues to build on the core concepts he started in Dark Nights: Metal and augment it with amazing artists and characters from across the DCU. Just check out the panel below.

Within this mega-story, there are shorted arcs that focus on certain members of the team. The last arc obviously focused on Aquaman and this one circles mainly around Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter with possibly some character changing revelations at the end of the issue. It is a really great way to write the Justice League and is quite reminiscent of the way the cartoon was structured. It’s probably no accident that this book has the same team. I continue to look forward to every issue.

News just in: Comic fan gives new run he’s really wary of a fair chance. Internet collapses in shock.

I’m really looking forward to this arc - I’d like to re-read the issues so far though before I move into it (or can it be read as completely stand alone?)

I think it gives you enough to go on to read it stand alone. I certainly didn’t reread or remember everything that’s come some far in exquisite detail.

freedom fighters 1

By Robert Venditti & Eddy Barrows

I liked this considerably more than Tom (im sure Its not a sequel to Master Men, I think they are just using Earth-X)

Set on Earth-X, the earth where Nazi Germany won, the American Resistance Underground plans to fight back.

There’s a definite gap in the market for a book like this. Making it 12 issues is a good choice. I’m hoping that Venditti, who can be a good writer, has plotted it tighty enough across a focussed 12 issues. The brilliant Barrows must remain on art throughout though. Even if it means some slippage in the scheduling of the books.

The smart bit here is using Jesse Owens in the book. Most people will know that Owens was a legendary sprinter (and also got gold in the long jump), im not sure everyone will know that he won 4 golds in the Berlin Olympics in 1936, which clearly stuck two fingers up at Adolf who was keen to show the world at the time how superior his Aryan race was.

So Jesse Owens is an inspired leftfield choice as leader of the Freedom Fighters and the resistance.

I’ve also got fond memories of the Black Condor series from the early 90s. I miss the long hair :slight_smile:

Tonight is the first time I’ve noticed though, just because of Black Condor, the similarity (in my mind at least) between Barrows and Rags Morales (so underrated - where is he now??) detailed line work.

This little series isn’t going to blow anyone’s mind, it’s a just another fun series that makes me feel nostalgic about some characters I don’t get to see very often. The Earth-X lens gives it that added bit of flavour.

…this was my thought process up until I turned to page 13.

Fucking hell man did this take a dark turn or what?
I’m really not sure where they are going with this, just because of the stop-start nature of the issue - but it mostly entertained, and where it never entertained it at least intrigued me.

8/10

Cheers Ronnie

I mean, that’s what they said earlier.
Now the opposite. That’s why I gave two grades. Because I didn’t want to hem it over something even they’re inconsistent about.

And I enjoyed it. I just feel like the darker moments don’t mesh well.
Especially near the end, when we get a big heroic splash page, but a page before it’s also trying to do a “do the methods entail the means?” type moment. It’s jarring. Still…some nifty moments.

Even fewer people know the addendum to that story is a little sad, Owens is lauded more openly now for being an example of racial equality than he was at the time.

His stay in Germany showed Owens that a different life was possible for him as a black man. Unlike back home in the United States, in Germany Owens trained, traveled and stayed in the same hotels as his white teammates. In the United States, Owens was asked to ride a hotel’s freight elevator to get to a reception being held in his honor. Upon his return to the United States, Owens was faced with fresh challenges. He did not come home to the reception expected for such a winning Olympian. He was not invited to the White House and was personally insulted that he was not offered any honors by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Detective Comics 9994
By Pete Thomasi & Doug Manke

Thomasi and Manke get off to a good start, hopefully taking the book back down more toward the detective route again, which is the right approach to set it apart from the Batman book and the various other Bat comics out there just now.

The premise is a simple one, yet very effective; Two bodies are found floating in a tank in Gotham Aquarium, two bodies that resemble Thomas and Martha Wayne in every single detail, right down to the bullet wounds…on the anniversary of their deaths.
In the meantime Dr Lesley Tomkins is a accosted and chased by some sort of hulking creature, which may be related or unrelated.
Thomasi’s strength is relationships, so it’s hard to see whether there will be a thread he can tug on emotionally, but it’s a solid book. The real star is Manke, who has been a key artist for DC for years now, and makes it look almost easy.

7/10

Extermination #5 brings the story of the O5 in the modern day to a definitive end. I totally called the resolution to last issue’s cliffhanger. But, other than that the story is rather disappointing. The toys all get put away neatly, and provide a rather clever reboot for a controversial character, but as the final hurrah of the All New X-men we spend very little time with them.

X-Force #1, on the other hand, was pretty good, whilst treading very familiar anti- mutant ground. The cartoony artwork is hard to parse with the heavier story beats though. It’s a good book, but not good enough to keep me dropping $4 a month for this.

A Walk Through Hell #6 was a welcome return, after a couple of months off. The story dials down the weird, and ramps up the characterisation. Ennis on fine form.

American Carnage #2 - Cletus Kasady goes on a rampage in South California, taking down the local chapter of the KKK, before Eddie Brock shows up to stop him.

emphasized textJLD 5 & 6 were superb.
After the magnitude of Witching Hour, I wondered where he was going to go next.
This is a neat little 2 parter, tying into the wider arc slightly, and bringing in some more characters from the DC magic U.
There’s still plenty of consequence going on, but the highlight is the character stuff, especially on Bobo.
It also sows seeds for another couple potential stories which I’m both really interested in reading.
Tremendous stuff. Tynion IV is such an intelligent writer, he just goes from strength to strength.

9/10

JLO 3
Has been impacted by the change in artist. The art is serviceable but it’s not aesthetically pleasing, at least not to me. I know there’s been delays on the book so it has the looks of something that has been rushed to the printing press.
The team continue to be a really interesting mix; Jess Cruz, Cyborg, Azrael, Starfire - and I’m keen to see more or Darkseid to understand what his plan is.
7/10

Hawkman 7 this series has given me a lot more trust in Venditti as a writer, I think there was one weak issue along the way, but I love the approach taken from Venditti, skipping acros the various versions of Hawkman - and it’s amazing to see Hitch on this book and keeping a fairly regular schedule with it.
I really enjoyed this issue, which acts as a new origins of the Hawkman. But it really works. It feels like a classic origin and it fits with not only everything we’ve seen in this series so far, but over the span of various guises of the character.
Really impressive work, this books seems to be a bit under the radar, but it really shouldn’t be.
Hoping for a decent sized run out of this, and I’m looking forward to next issue and the Hawkman of Krypton
9/10

Cover 4
Just read it.
Even if the series wasn’t amazing, it’s worth it for the Bendis tribute to Stan Lee alone.
Sorry to repeat myself, but Bendis is on top of his game again. It’s a joy to behold.

9/10

In the 30 odd years that I’ve been reading comics, DC have never been better. I continue to be blown away by the standard of the their books, the enjoyment and oftentimes even excitement they bring to me, across such a variety of characters and books. There’s a lot of love going into DC at the moment since Rebirth, Didio and crew really deserve some serious credit. And the good news is there’s a bunch more great looking stuff on the way.

Adventures of the Super Sons #5 - is a strange pseudo crossover with The Dreaming. It sort of works, but also feels like a total waste of time too. As this series goes on it really has just thrown away everything that made the prior run so enjoyable. The irony of having Damien and Jon stuck on a space odyssey for 12 issues, whilst in continuity Jon is on a space odyssey with his grandfather, makes the whole thing feel redundant. Read in isolation, my son continues to be entertained, but he thinks the last series was better too.

:laughing: It’s #994. Pete Tomasi. Doug Mahnke. :laughing:

But, other than that, I completely agree with you. This was a great debut issue for the new creative team. An intriguing mystery, a fantastic action scene, with gorgeous artwork, and assured writing. This is a totally different book in tone to both Tynion’s run, and Tomasi’s previous Batman & Robin, but it’s got a lot of potential if they can keep the quality this high. Always great to have a Batman book to look forward to every month.

In light of Bendis’ big arrival, it’s easy to forget how good Tomasi, Gleason and Mahnke’s Superman run was. This was a pretty impressive reminder.

Haha I only added on 9000 issues ffs…

Superman #6 was a stunning issue. Really dramatic, with I assume a conscious callback to Superman #75’s infamous battle with Doomsday. This fight doesn’t go the same way though, and ends up with the reader actually feeling sorry for Zod. That’s quite an achievement. And, there’s a doozy of a cliffhanger too.

The Green Lantern #2 was a step in the right direction. I liked but wasn’t blown away by last month’s issue. This one was much stronger narratively. Unfortunate, though, that it ends with the disappearance of plant Earth. Didn’t that just happen? :wink:

Plant Earth or Planet Earth? :wink:

electric warriors 2 (Orlando & Foreman) Teeters on the brink of mediocrity in the opening pages, both in story and art - where Foreman’s action scenes are very difficult to work out and just generally poorly laid out, with rendering of impact taking the place of any real choreography.
However, both writer, artist and colourist rescue the issue as allegiances are formed and new drama arrives. Overall, I enjoyed it again and it gets a bonus mark for being unlike almost anything else from the big two.
8/10

Superman 6 (Bendis & Reis)
Reis & his art team really pull out the stops here with some amazing double page spreads.
I love the look of this issue and the storytelling and design choices made, which really make this issue stand out, emphasising the head to head that they’ve been building towards with Rogul and allowing for the narrative text to touch on other themes that have been in play since Bendis began his run on the Superman books.
Special nod to letterer, Josh Reed, who not only uses a terrific font which is part of the success of the overall feel, but also for his placement and font colour choices, which allow for both the story to flow nicely, and also don’t get in the way of the stunning artwork on show.
Really good job there as are the stunning colours used by Alex Sinclair, particularly on the double page spreads, but also throughout the issue.
As for the story itself I felt that Bendis really introduced some tension with his decision to withdraw Superman from the PZ at the exact moment he did. I don’t really like Zod as a character, I find him really overused, but Bendis has made me care. Firstly by bring him and Superman together for the common cause but secondly because I’m now wondering what is going to happen after big blue has seemingly abandoned him. What will happen to Zod, what will he think of being left to fight on his own.
Adding to this Bendis chose the last page to return Jon to the storyline.

Really good stuff from Bendis.

9/10

Reading back over @Vikram and @RonnieM comments, as I didn’t read in too much detail as I didn’t want to spoil anything and I’m glad to see that we are all unanimous on this one. All independently so, which for me kinda reinforces how good this issue was.

Man-Eaters # 3

(Chelsea Crain & Kate Niemczyk)

Still enjoying it but now that we are 3 issues in, im starting to notice some weaknesses in the writing. It’s become a bit one-note. Very repetitive and it’s gone from being a very clever book to a very clever idea that was a clever book but is now a soap box for the writer to grind her axe on.

So although it continues to amuse me, it hasn’t really gone anywhere or given us anything new since the first issue. So plot wise there isn’t one. Also there’s the issue of severely underdeveloped characters who all sound roughly the same.

The art and general design of the book is great though. It’s maybe carrying it just now which will become a problem if it continues in this vein.

6/10

Stranger Things 3

(Jody Houser & Stefano Martino)

Houser takes a very simple approach to this tie in. Still following what Will was doing on the other side in season one while the main characters were searching for him.

There’s nothing earth shattering going on and it’s not essential reading, however it matches the tone of the show very well and I’d recommend it for those who cant get enough of Stranger Things - it very much acts as a companion piece to the show. Martino continues to do a very good job of capturing just enough likeness so that the characters are clear, but there’s no photo reference used. His story telling is also very good.

7/10

Justice League 13 - I bought the Jae Lee cover. Good stuff. March is an artist I usually swerve as I think his art is pretty awful but this is career best stuff. Truly excellent. The story is intriguing but the script is mediocre and I’m still amazed about how highly Tynion IV is rated. It’s the biggest mystery in comics (to me, I know I’m in the minority)

Fantastic Four 5 hits all the right notes for a Boxing Day morning read.