millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

I enjoyed #10 a bit more than I did the defenders one shot, although I really liked the ‘pause, interlude,…’ section, I thought that was quite creative and I liked the effect of it.

With issue 10, he builds up a good bit of tension for the green door and there also some enjoyable madness going on throughout.

I liked the idea of the madness, but I felt like there’s just too much talking and rummaging around with the plots to make it so effective. Felt very stretched out. And that’s not something any amount of gore can really patch up.

With the Defenders One-Shot - I just loved it for how parsed down and restrictive it was. Like the first Immortal Hulk issues. Just Bruce stumbling onto some weird situation and having to deal with it. The whole gimmick with him really trying to keep the Hulk at bay and the representation with some classic Jerkbag Hulk panels were delightful to me. That’s another thing I’ve missed from the first issues - the heavy emphasis of Hulk as a complete douche. Just viscerally entertaining.

Both were at least okay. Just expect much more from the mainline and, for me, it’s not reaching the heights it used to anymore.

So:

• Batman #60 So the Penguin actually marrying a penguin… right.
  • Doomsday Clock #8 (Of 12) : The plot finally seems to be moving, but we are nearing the end. Nice art as usual.
  • Green Lantern #2 : Reading this issue I felt a constant Moore deja vú.
  • Martian Manhunter #1 : The art is nice, some of the ideas interesting, but I can’t get around the idea of Martian Manhunter being a dirty racist cop.
  • The Wrong Earth #4: Still enjoying it.

It is tremendously difficult to trade-wait Green Lantern. But I am strong, and I shall do so!

You should buy at least one issue before you hunker down and trade wait. It’s too good to wait that long.

Oh thanks! Thanks just a bunch! Bad enough Liam keeps teasing with the pure pages!

Read a few books last night.

The Green Lantern #2 - For me, this issue needed a little less weird and a little more Hal Jordan. I understand Morrison probably wanted to make the wink and nudge toward Moore’s GL material but I don’t think we needed another odd, non-Jordan centered opener like in the first issue. This book still feels like DC lent the characters out to 2000AD which is great but I would like to see more movement on the primary story in the second issue rather than more odd asides. There’s still a lot to enjoy here and I love that DC is giving this angle a shot. So I’ll give it at least one more issue before dropping as it has a lot of potential.

Martian Manhunter #1 - This really felt like something new. Like they are playing with the medium in a way that is similar but still quite different from Mister Miracle. I love the style and page/panel designs. The story seems to basically be a new/retold origin for Martian Manhunter that grounds him a bit more and takes him away from his previous stoic, Vulcan-like persona. This book shows a lot of promise. I’m glad DC is taking chances with books like this.

Prodigy #1 - @Mark_Millar sticks the landing on these books and new concepts so easily that it almost becomes boring. I still marvel at his ability to crank out great concepts that seem familiar but completely fresh. This issue introduces us to Edison Crane and sets up the push of this book. I could easily see this character being a new James Bond, Jack Bourne or Jack Ryan type figure with tons of serial adventures. Can’t wait to read more.

Adding some ratings to my comments again. Not something I’ve done for a while, but it’s hard putting into words when I don’t have a lot of time.

Namor: Best Defense # 1
At first I thought this was boring, and because I’ve read a lot of Aquaman recently, it felt too similar.
However, Chip Zdarsky has a nice steady flow with his writing this issue, and it was quite pleasant in places to sit back and let the story wash over me, but overall it made my eyes heavy.
The artist, Carlos Magno, is a little inconsistent, but his art has a style similar to the detailed line work of Andy Clarke, who I feel is really underrated and under utilised.
Plot wise, Namor looks to bulk up Atlantis by bringing back the Vodans and integrating them as allies, having been living in some form of exile in the depths for centuries. He chooses to venture out on his own as he does not have the support of his people, whose myths and legends of the Vodani have grown over the years and painted them as savages.

I have zero affinity for Namor, but I’m reading this as a lead into the new Defenders set up.
It’s heavy on the politics but I suppose enjoyed it enough, there’s an interesting last page which sets up a link to one of the other books, out next week.
My only major complaint is the colour palate, which is dull as dishwater.

6/10

Prodigy
This isn’t a killer concept on the level of some of the stuff Mark has come up with, but that’s not really a problem because the book is enjoyable to read.
Albuquerque’s art looks better than it has for a while. He’s changed his style a bit for this book, less lines, more blacks and a generally cleaner style. I like it.
The colours from Marcelo Maiolo are also great, particularly his rendition of light, whether it be sun or artificial - it adds a bit of atmosphere.
The heart op scene was genius, totally caught me off guard and utterly hilarious.
This isn’t fully my cup of tea, just not the type of book I’m massively interested in, but I’ll keep reading as it was fun and I’d like to see where Millar is heading with it.

7/10

Batman 60
The post wedding events feel a little decompressed, but I supposed that has been necessary. what a twist on the last page, holy fuck
Some great art here as well. Never heard of Jorge Forbes, but he’s a great find.

8/10

Doomsday Clock # 8
That was really intense. The whole Firestorm piece was quite emotional, disturbing and just kept escalating. I actually felt really anxious and an overwhelming sense of dread, as well as frustrated on Firestorm and Superman’s behalf - because there’s such strong parallels to the world we live in just now and the constant animosity and acts of aggression and unwillingness to listen to reason.
It was great to see the focus on DC superheroes. I’ve said from the start that’s what this is meant to be. Not Watchmen 2 and I feel that is becoming more evident as we go.
Also, the meaning of the title is becoming abundantly clear, with the tensions between the US and Russia over the metahumans issue.

I love how we are 2/3s of the way through and I have no idea where this is headed.

9/10

Die # 1
Gillen’s script is great. The plot and setting are right up my street. Bunch of misfit metal loving teens in the early 90s meet to play a RPG designed by one of them (I’m sure many of us can relate to this) for his friend’s birthday…drama unfolds
Unfortunately the art renders the early 90s setting a little bit redundant. There’s no details, no backgrounds, no sense of place. Not only that it’s quite raw as well in places. Which I don’t get because I’ve seen some of her covers before and I thought they were great. However there’s also a couple of great pages in the rain at night, that are a bit more abstract. I’m hoping she hits here stride as the book goes on and her storytelling is mostly absolutely fine.
Good first issue and the back matter chat with Gillen is also good.

8/10

Martian Manhunter 1
And my up and down relationship with Steve Orlando continues.
Some of his stuff I have outright hated, some of it has been really good, some of it has been bland and passed me by.
I’ve read so much of his stuff because he continues to get characters I want to read about and some of his ideas are actually great. More often than not I come away cold.

So which one is this?

After re-reading and finding something to almost love about Electric Warriors 1, I am please to say that this is another initial hit. Like Electric Warriors it feels like a bold move from DC and the creative team to produce something different from what has been done before and also something fairly challenging.

First off, the cover is brilliant. I saw it in the solicits and immediately it felt like a comic I wanted to read. Really effective from the brilliant and surely soon to be superstar artist, Riley Rossmo. The beauty is in the simplicity, a very much alien looking MM, with a police badge round his next. Right away there’s the hook.
I love how it is rendered though. And the almost graffiti like title painted over the middle of the cover. The “12 issue maxi series” tag is a refreshing throwback to the 90s when publishers didn’t pretend a book was an ongoing knowing fine well they had no intentions of running it any longer than 10-12 issues.

So we know we are getting a deliberately complete story here right off the bat, which is a positive as we know that it’s not just going to end abruptly and leave us hanging.

This for me is Martian Manhunter as a horror book. Riley’s style is even more loose than he used in Deathbed and Orlando is taking advantage of having worked with Rossmo before to get the most out of his ability to cram a lot into a page using creative layouts.
This is why Rossmo is a perfect fit for this book; Orlando chucks a lot of ideas in here, some big, some small, some that are only covered in a snippet of dialogue. Rossmo crams them in.
The art may be too stylistic at first for those either used to house styles from the big two, or not used to Rossmo. It even took a while to settle with me, even though I’ve been a fan for a while of the artist.
I like the structure; essentially broken down to J’onn investigating a bizarre crime scene in the present day with his partner and flashbacks to his life on Mars.
There’s a lot of seeds scattered in the book and im hoping that Orlando plans to come back to at least a few of them, because they are interesting story and character ideas.

Promising start, it might not be for everyone but it’s worth giving it a chance and going in with an open mind. Don’t read it if you are looking for an easy read or typical superhero yarn though.
There’s a define Alien feel to the book, which I’m assuming is very much deliberate.

8/10

The Freeze 1
Dan Wickline and some other folk. Image comics.
Really poor. One of those big concept books where it’s clear the author has no idea where it’s going and is going to focus on ‘the drama’ and how people deal with the new status quo and we can explore today’s current issues whilst struggling to turn their boring high concept into something resembling a plot.
If only we hadn’t seen this sort of thing done a million times already in things like Walking Dead, Under the Dome, the Leftovers, The Returned, the 4100, and numerous other thousand shows, books and comics.
What happens when everyone freezes apart from one guy, and the people he touches?
What cause it, what will he choose do do with this abilty, what hackneyed uninventive ideas will the writer choose to throw in here in a struggle to make anyone give a fuck - oh look look a plane crashed because the pilot was frozen, we haven’t seen that before in nearly every post apocalyptic story ever.
So it’s overly familiar and then the poor dialogue, lack of decent characters and just general lack of anything interesting to latch on to means this a stinker for me.

3/10

Shazam # 1
DC keep knocking them out the park. Another great new series.

Feels like we’ve been waiting so long for this, I’m glad it’s finally here**

Geoff Johns back writing regular comics again
Shazam back after been out on ice until Johns could clear his schedule
That classic JSA team back together again as Johns is paired with the brilliant Eaglesham

This was a lot fun and there already looks to be a good bit of mileage just from the couple of plots that are laid down here.

the seven kingdoms seems ripe for exploration, each of them one at a time. Then the cliffhanger with billy’s Dad turning up was a big surprise and a hell of a page to end it on

Great start

9/10

Self/Made

It’s hard to say what this is about without spoiling the last page. It’s given me just enough to pick up the first trade, I think., and see where they go with it.

it starts of as a fantasy story, almost game of thrones style. 3 characters are attempting to stop a powerful antagonist. But each time an unwanted outcome is reached (albeit we don’t know who is driving the desired outcome until the last page) the scene flips back to an earlier panel and a different path is chosen. effectively we find out on the final page that it’s computer game and the player has come out to report that one of the NPC’s is acting up.
I get the impression this could maybe have been inspired by westworld.

The writing is good from a dialogue perspective, but it’s a little bit shaky on the pacing. I’m not sure it could be avoided though, once I saw the reveal.
The art is good as well, serves its purpose well enough.
Poorly described post, I know, but I’m half asleep.

7/10

Justice League #13 - This was basically a Joker vs Lex Luthor issue. It’s an interesting concept to see those two go head to head pitted against each other. It made way for the reintroduction of the Batman Who Laughs. I don’t like them as much as the main issues but this villain interludes do help break up the regular stories nicely.

Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion #3 - I’m not sure if it’s me or if this book just isn’t hitting the sweet spot it used to. This volume isn’t clicking with me like the last two. I’ll give it at least one issue.

I read all of the Justice League/ Aquaman event, “The Drowned Earth”, over the last few days. It was quite entertaining, but very reminiscent of the 1990’s fifth week events at DC. You could put this alongside Final Night, for example, and you would never know this came out 20 years later. I’m not entirely sure if that’s a good thing or not.

Good comparison.

Shazam! #1, by Geoff Johns and Dale Eaglesham was a fun book. Picking up shortly after the events of the original story (in the New52 Justice League series), there’s not a huge amount of story to go on here. But, the interplay between the characters is incredibly charming. This reads very much like a superheroic Harry Potter; it even has a magical railway station. I can’t wait to read more. There’s also a nice little backup story featuring a little of Mary’s past too. There were a couple of bits that almost threw me out of the book though: 1) the way they keep teasing the name “Captain Marvel” without actually saying it; 2) the events of the book occur over the course of a few hours, yet in the world outside we seem to have gone from summer to Christmas by the final page.

Doomsday Clock #8, on the other hand, was a pretty tense read. Focused on Superman, as he does what Superman does, only to escalate global tensions, with the issue ending in an exciting cliffhanger. It reads a lot like a continuation of Johns & Frank’s earlier Superman work, and even includes an allusion to Johns’ brief New52 run on the character. But, that immediately makes it difficult to reconcile with the tone of Bendis’ concurrent run on the Superman books. In fact, the longer this series goes on, the less it feels like an integral part of the DCU, and more like a self contained “imaginary story”. That’s not a bad thing, mind you, when the quality of the series remains so high. Loving this.

I kind of hope it is. With the delays I have no idea how they will fit it in with DC continuity and while I like it for this story I think most of the themes are probably better off not used in the DCU. There’s a very X-Men thing with the heroes being hated and feared which should stay in the X-Men.

A Final Night reference perks my interest. That’s one of my favorite event comics.

Mine too. It wasn’t an insult. Just pointing out the similarities.

I figured you liked it. This was a great way to sell me on Drowned Earth. I’ll definitely have to have a look.

Yeah, his work was great in the issue. Looked a bit like Batman Year One.