millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

The Hulk’s entire body is chopped up and sealed into jars, using an admantium scalpel tool.
When cutting up the Hulk’s heart, his captor continues to goad him, only for the Hulks head, floating upside down in the middle jar to gradually begin smiling wider and wider.
His captor flips his lid as to what he’s smiling about, only to realise the The Hulk was sickly allowing him to run his series of tests, to find out for himself what he is capable of
His hand in another jar, after having given his captor the finger, then clicks it’s fingers and smashes out the jar as all his body parts explode out into the lab.
As his body is pulling itself back together, it also disturbing absorbs his captor as he struggles in agony to escape the Cronenbugesque body horror it is now part of.

That’s to

1. Show anyone who is reading the book and who is happy to click the spoiler link, what they are missing out on
  2. Assure that you are not dissuaded from picking this amazing book up by Bobby’s dismissive post on this issue.

I’ll never forget those pages, quite in contrast to Bobby who is so non-plussed about those events that he can’t remember a thing about the issue.

can’t remember the Hulk being cut up and put in to jars… :joy::+1:

I was thinking about this series a lot today.
Now imagine a Hulk TV series or straight out Hulk Horror movie based on this run.

Flipping Terrifying

Oh yeah, now I remember. Means I don’t have to read it again! Joking aside, I thought the events of 8 happened in 7.

The j** stuff was pretty cool.

Haha I did suspect that was maybe the case

I can’t really remember what happened in 7 either bar the end

Humbug. I think readers have been overthinking this. Tom King’s Mister Miracle in a nutshell: Scott Free is a war veteran who’s struggling to live a normal life. The end. He survived a suicide attempt. He did it because he couldn’t deal with his memories anymore. And by the last issue, he’s once again wondering how he can still endure it all.

On another note, King’s third installment of the Walmart Superman 100-Page Giant (from issue #5), is a great, great installment. It’s a boxing match with an alien, and Superman wins basically by refusing, against all reason, to give up, because if he does win, he gets information he needs in a missing-persons case. It’s must-read for King fans.

Mister Miracle was great stuff. I think it will go down as an evergreen book. I really need to reread it at some point.

I found the first installment of this and really enjoyed it. I don’t visit Walmart enough to keep up on this. So I hope they collect this and Bendis’s Batman story at some point.

The Bendis Batman stuff is pretty great, too. DC’d be foolish not to collect either story.

That sounds like a nice story.
Too bad King decided to bury it in unnecessary and honestly out-of-place fluff.

Edit: Also, I agree that the series in incredibly simple and straightforward and that people can overthink it a lot. But…that’s also part of the issue there.

But…To my mind you’re describing King’s Vision more than Mister Miracle. And yet fans argue Vision is his essential work. Where Vision is a fairly straightforward work, albeit a somewhat epically tragic one, Mister Miracle is a piercing character study. And that’s what King does best, other than interpreting his Iraq War thoughts and experiences, as he’s done in Omega Men, Sheriff of Babylon, and now Mister Miracle, a kind of trilogy. And considering DC’s published all three? Pretty sure they knew what Mister Miracle was gonna be.

Vision is straightforward - but it’s concise, it has clarity of purpose, and it plays with its themes effectively.
Mister Miracle cannot say any of that.

And as a character study it doesn’t really have much to say about the character. Being farther removed than any context - and so taken as a wholly new creation, it doesn’t paint much of a picture. Nor does it have room to do so. Unless 3 pages of a box falling is incredibly vital. The only takeaway is that, yes, it’s Tom King. King is writing about himself. Again. And the sheer bluntness of it without any story or content to buttress it makes it a slog.

Vision is a tight 12 issues. Like, incredibly well structured it is astounding. There’s absolutely no fat on it.
Mister Miracle is 90% fluff, 10% incredibly shallow piece about depression with a final message that feels more harmful than enlightening.

But it’s also about the New Gods, about how far you can take them dramatically, something no one else has done. And taking Mister Miracle at face value, exactly as that son of Highfather given over to Darkseid he was always described as, but…never treated as, never exposed to psychological realism. This is a dude who was always going to be supremely screwed up. Forget about Orion. DC stopped taking Orion seriously years ago. He shows up in Azzarello’s Wonder Woman as…I’m still trying to figure out how to take Orion seriously in that run. A lot of fans soured on that run, but honestly, for me the only thing I read in it that I didn’t get was Orion.

But Orion in King’s storytelling? Makes total, complete sense. The only other time I’ve read an Orion like that was Kingdom Come, where he’s achieved his life’s goal…and become thoroughly miserable for it. That’s Orion in a nutshell. And if he’s not Superman of the New Gods, that’s all you need to know. He wins, but…loses.

And that’s King’s Scott Free, essentially. He’s constantly winning. He’s defined by winning, more than…any other superhero in comics. Doing the impossible every single time. And always grinning like a madman.

Because he is a madman. He’s Anthony Bourdain, Robin Williams, the genius you didn’t see hurting but…

So I can’t possibly agree that King didn’t do anything worthwhile in this comic. If ever there was a New Gods story to end all New Gods stories, this is what it looks like.

Again, that would be interesting. I will agree - introducing the conceit that Scott would have hang-ups about what his father had to do is pretty novel and something I was intrigued by when this was first announced.
But, as I said before, if only King didn’t bury it in unnecessary and out-of-place fluff. Which instead gives it the consistency and weight of a soap opera.

Orion…wow. Orion doesn’t have enough room to make sense. He’s used as a prop and described as King as being a “rich spoiled brat” who lived uptown. Disregarding much of Orion’s own personal turmoil and growth and dumbing it down to an excessive degree. He has maybe one shade of depth but he’s written out of the story much too quickly. As well as Highfather. And both of those lessens whatever impact the “Scott being abandoned” conceit could have had.

And King’s Scott Free isn’t defined by winning. He’s not defined by escaping in this. Which was taken to the fullest extent in the Kirby run. Scott there was the ultimate escape artist. Not even physically, but emotionally and mentally he was able to escape his past. And start anew.

Here he’s defined by escapism. A willing, forfeiting, giving into escaspism.
Which is just sad.

I loved how thoroughly King explored the New Gods concept. Things that seemed so wrong and weird but were very much at the center of the concept. Scott Free should have been the prince who grew up in the lap of luxury with a silver spoon. Instead, he was the one who took the shit so everyone else could live in peace. Everyone else got a great deal out of the kid trade. He got fucked. How he dealt with that, his “brother”, both of his fathers (biological and adopted) and the potential of doing it to his own child was purely great storytelling.

Not really.
Orion had to live with the knowledge that he left his mother behind in the pits.
That he was always going to be an outcast on New Genesis, to the point where he develops extreme insecurities about his physical appearance. Always using the glamor of the Mother Box and living in fear that anyone will see his real face.

And knowing that his true purpose is as an instrument of war and having to bear on his shoulders that responsibility and not growing up well-adjusted and knowing it.

Plus, they were like 8-10 when they switched so he spent much of his early childhood in the pits.
Scott at least got to live in the Soldier Boy barracks.

Wow, Orion really does sound like a prima donna. :wink:

You wound me man.
But I loves ya.

Kind of sounds what you like least about it is less what King does than what he does differently. For what it’s worth, King’s storytelling leaves plenty of room for a Kirbyesque series of parallel narratives, where what you thought was missing from this one could easily be expounded on. One of King’s great strengths is that he’s that rare writer who can see the hero in every narrative, even the villains, even when you know which side he’s rooting for, and that’s one of the rarest things of this age.

No, you see, I already told you my thoughts on it as it’s own thing.
You brought up it’s merits as a New Gods story and how it plays with those characters and that mythology.
As I quote: “If there was ever a New Gods story to end New Gods stories” or how no one has ever taken the New Gods to such dramatic heights.
Which led to my second statement and rebuttal to that.

So, please, don’t try and turn this around into me being a purist. That’s facile.

I love the look on Superman’s face in this panel. :wink:

On a side-note, I finally finished the Bug miniseries and I thought it was a nice way of integrating Starlin/Byrne characterizations into something really unique but also classic.

It won’t be on my top 10 list anytime soon, but as a sequel to Cosmic Odyssey it does a fantastic job.