millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

I read your review and as no shock we see things quite a bit differently. I think part of that comes down to your expectations for the character. Other parts probably have to do with how different our life experiences are at this point. To me, the story was about how do you deal with continuing life in the face of unspeakable loss. Sometimes in those situations you have to find your own win and not everyone around you (even people who love you dearly) are not going to understand. That might be me projecting a bit of my own reading on the situation but I don’t think so considering where I think the creators are coming from.

I honestly think this will be an evergreen book. Hopefully, they do a nice hardcover at some point. I really need to do a reread in one sitting.

Yeah, thanks for the response though.
Despite our vastly different reactions to this book - it’s been unforgettable.

I think I’m just really unnerved by some of the things it does, especially this final issue as someone who, like the character, is/has attempted suicide how things wrap up just comes off as very facile and backhanded. And then having what King has tried to push into a “Jack Kirby analogue role” as a mouthpiece to reaffirm it just feels…wrong.

It’s not the worst issue of the series though. I’ll give it that.

I don’t think he’s trying to be backhanded. If I had to guess, King has either attempted or strongly considered suicide. It feels like this whole series was about getting to the win through, in the midsts of and often in spite of the darkness around us. Scott chose to live in the not so simple and extremely complicated more real world instead of crossing into the bright and shiny superhero universe that Metron showed them last issue. I really liked the avatar roles in the book. I don’t think Oberon was reaffirming the suicide but Scott’s choice for the life and family that he wanted in spite of the hardship instead of the easier but more superficial world.

You’re obviously welcome to your own opinion. It was just a book that I really enjoyed and identified with.

Oh yeah, no I totally agree with your first spoiler and it’s no secret that King has been using Scott as his author analogue. In fact, it’s blatantly obvious, especially given the running threads in his current/recent works.

And, well, I don’t understand what you mean by the rest. Scott isn’t living in the real world. He’s dead, in the Omega Sanction, whichever - that he has managed to cut off from whatever evil machinations Darkseid might have intended and made his own. But it’s still just deciding to not face reality - and return to Barda, the real Barda. It’s a clear metaphor for how we carry past trauma and can never escape it.
But the last lines are that Scott can - he just won’t. And that’s where it falls apart for me. What really wrenches my gut and feels…harmful. Like I said. It feels like the opposite of What To Get For The Man Who Has Everything.

I get using things as allegory or metaphor, but for me - everything has to stem and be rooted in it.
This just sorta never connects that bridge and it shows.
It’s like the disconnect between something like Hereditary to The Babadook when it comes to mental illness, as allegory. One doesn’t root, the other does.

I don’t get it

Sorry I’m being thick here can you explain this ?

Explain what?
I think Gar is just being funny.

I’m with you here in that I felt this was a really special series from king and gerard that eclipses what he did with Vision

However I really need to read it all again because I can’t pretend to have taken it all in it or understood all of it. Although, having just read # 12 I need a bit of time for it to settle in my mind.

Ah ok I thought the image meant something in relation to the MM discussion

Ah no problem.
And good journey on re-reading.

I thought it was pretty straightforward, but I hope it proves enlightening for you.

So it’s Wednesday… What’s everyone picking up this week?

Just these two for me.

Haven’t been to Comixology yet, but yesterday finally had time to read a couple issues. First there was the two-issue adaptation of Elric: The White Wolf which was fairly true to the story. The art is really good - reminds me of Sean Murphy but with boats instead of cars. Also The Magic Order #'s 2 and 3 by that Millar fellow. Really enjoyed going from one trope or influence to another while still coming from the darker recesses of the Millar-mind. Fun. And Batman: White Knight. My, that was a lot of words to say not very much. Pretty art, though.

It’s from the European publisher Titan. Looks like the collected edition comes out early next month. The previous two volumes are available and on sale right now though.

Also, looks like just Justice League #12 for me today.

Just for some trivia. Titan was started by the guys behind Forbidden Planet as far back as 1981 and really pioneered the trade paperback in English language comics. They started reprinting Judge Dredd stories in albums and then did licensed collections of Watchmen, Swamp Thing and Dark Knight before DC did (and so DC copied them). They were really ahead of their time doing merch like t-shirts and badges as well. They worked off the popularity of Anthrax and had ‘I Am The Law’ badges and patches in heavy metal shops.

The first time I read Dark Knight, very soon after it came, was in a Titan edition so the brand is an old pal to me although probably only came into anyone’s view in the US when they started doing original material just a few years ago.

So what you’re telling me is they’re Alan Moore’s favorite publisher? :wink:

Yeah they are kind of to blame for him losing the Watchmen and V for Vendetta rights inadvertently. :smile:

Yep, for a while there were different Titan-printed versions of a lot of DC books (I remember the Titan version of Killing Joke too). Then they moved to just slapping a barcode label over the barcode of DC books.

An interesting aside was to save money the first DC collection they did, Swamp Thing, was reprinted in black and white. DC had absolutely no trades at that point and not for several years later. People loved it with the detailed linework from Bissette and Totleben and later DC did a reprint version in black and white too.

Go-Bots #1: I have to say I haven’t read any of IDW’s other shapeshifting robot comics - but if they’re anything like the incredible first volley that was the wildly entertaining Go-Bots #1 - I might just have to get on it. Brashly adventurous, heroic, and tense in the best ways. It is a classic A.I. revolution schematic with enough charm and flair to hold its own. It might be a short miniseries but I could already feel myself wanting more.

Sidways #10: A good return to the cheeky, lighthearted, but also quite impactful norm of this series. It’s a shame it is cancelled in the recent solicits because this showcases that the characters still have so much life in them. Rocafort back on art only sweetens the pot.

The Immortal Hulk #9: This second arc seems to be continuing a theme of moving past the 60’s era atomic-gothic and propelling itself into various eras of horror. While #8 had a distinct Carpenter influence, this feels much more at home in the early 90’s, among the kinds of Brian Yuzna, or Screaming Mad George. Add in some really engaging character writing and this series is back after a brief lull.

Looks to be a third volume due at the same time too, maybe a fourth eventually.

Titan tend to be a bit erratic on these.

EDIT: Be careful on this one Ron. Looks like Titan are issuing “deluxe” volumes of the first two, Ruby Throne and Stormbringer, but all I can see that makes them so is a RRP $29.99 price tag. Each is still a 56-page OHC, which at the price I got them years ago was fine, but at that price? Hell, no.

EDIT 2:Ruby Throne examples:

From 2014:

And what I got was a OHC!

2018 “deluxe”: