millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

If you like, I’ll buy that used copy from you for a quid. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Damn it Dave, haven’t we had enough talk about Batman’s knob already?!

The level of maturity on this board will guarantee the dick jokes will never end.

You missed several others. :wink:

Batman 56
Weird. After Nightwing getting shot in the head, King decides to focus not in Dick Grayson, but in Batman tracking down the KGBeast (by way of KANTO of all people) and the KGBeast daddy issues…?

Nightwing 50
In the aftermath of Batman 55, we get Dick being the dickest Dick to ever dick, but going by Rick or Gray as nicknames instead.

Archie 699
Just a recap issue of Waid’s run, reusing art from those issues with changed text to summarise.

Border Town #2: Not much to say about this one. I feel like what worked about issue one still works here, but so does everything that I found lacking last time too. The general story structure is still at the forefront - which is what matters and is enjoyable enough. What I do think is a decline is this attempt at antagonist shifting that doesn’t work given what we’ve been shown.

Uber #16: This is an issue that serves to remind me that this is another rare Gillen series that is also coming to an end. Great moments. Great raised stakes and tension. And a clear line in the sand in terms of the plot’s progression with leaving so much in the air.

The Magic Order #4: Pretty alright. Still an enjoyable read, even if it feels a bit too by the numbers.

The Lone Ranger #1: Russell’s take on the masked avenger is a mixed bag. While it contains much of his trademark, and devastatingly sharp, wit and take-downs - it just feels unbalanced at best. It’s still rather exciting, with a good adventurous core, but it’s uncharacteristically too-lecturing. Which slows the read down a considerable bit.

Dead Rabbit #1: An amazing first issue. Duggan and McCrea come out firing on all cylinders - with an introduction that is at times heartfelt, eerie, cold, and invigorating. Duggan combines a cynical touch with well executed moments of humanity and McCrea takes it all of the way home with masterful flair and energy. Such a kick-ass read.

The new Scooby-Doo Team Up is an all-gorilla issue.

:heart_eyes:

Special prize if you can name all of them shown here :wink:

Honestly, I swear to Rao, Hera, and Batgod that this is the best book DC are putting out at the moment. Why aren’t you all reading it? I guarantee that all your favourite charatcers will be acting 100% in character with no stupid retcons messing them up, and absolutely none of them, not a single one, will ever die for a sales boost in this comic :slight_smile:

BUY THIS COMIC :angry:

I’ve decided to drop Amazing Spider-man. Nothing wrong with it as such, it just I’m finding Spencer a bit too wordy for my liking.

Yeah this really is an issue with his writing on non creator owned books

Lemire was the same for a long time

High Heaven #1

This is a hard book to write about. Not because it’s a complicated concept: it’s not, really. In fact, the basic premise of the book - slightly slobby moaner David Weathers dies and goes to heaven, only to find it’s a bit crap - is fairly easy to get on board with, and offers clear opportunities for both drama and comedy.

It’s just that the execution is… well, I hate the word ‘meh’ and I don’t use it, but I’m struggling to come up with another alternative other than ‘fine, I guess’. Because the whole book is… fine. Tom Peyer’s writing is fine - the character is set up nicely and the situation is gradually revealed in an amusing fashion, and there’s some fun puncturing of the pomposity surrounding heaven and its inhabitants. And there are some chuckle-worthy moments where David finds out that his life in heaven is a lot more limited than it was on Earth.

And Greg Scott’s art… is fine. It does the job well, captures the emotion of the early scenes well, carries a couple of the book’s big punchlines well (one involving a piano and one involving a thwarted self-pleasuring session), and Andy Troy’s colours draw a nice distinction between the colourful real world and the washed-out tones of heaven - although this does make the book intentionally quite dull and drab to look at a lot of the time.

Luckily, there’s a much more colourful and vibrant backup story by Peyer and Chris Giarrusso, which doesn’t have a clear connection to the main story yet but which is enjoyable enough in its own right that it doesn’t matter. And (as with Ahoy’s The Wrong Earth #1) there’s another text backup story by Grant Morrison, which reads a bit like Morrison got drunk and wrote down a few silly ideas that seemed funnier at the time. (I’m not normally one to jump on the ‘Morrison vs Moore’ bandwagon, but the tone of this piece does feel like an attempt to emulate the loquacious whimsy of Northampton’s favourite son.)

So there’s a reasonable amount of value for money here, and a decent start to a story that holds a certain amount of potential (even if it doesn’t really get very far in this first issue). But ultimately none of it is the kind of thing that’s going to have you shouting praise from the rooftops. It reminded me of a mid-level '90s Vertigo book - interesting enough, with some fun moments, but fairly inessential.

Week late but Immortal Hulk 6 was unsurprisingly excellent once again. Lee Garbett comes in on art which is hardly a downgrade on Bennett.
I’m loving how the art on this book serves the book well rather than the House style. Garbett gets a lot looser than normal on the lines and it works really well with the Horror tone. He’s having fun here.
I love the ideas in here. I’m sorry to go on about the guy but Ewing is a class apart;

Some light spoilers below

• Banner reflecting on the Hulk being smarter than he is, but it’s all instinct and hunches in contrast to banner’s cerebral intelligence
  • Automatic writing to communicate with the Hulk
  • Something else trapped in there with him after last issued run in with Sasquatch
  • A mysterious ‘Shadow Base’ working a couple of levels under Ross, unknown to him, with a team of monitors watching Betty and others Banner is close to, to see if he makes contact
  • Alpha Flight and Captain Marvel looking to track down Banner after Walter Langdon’s return
  • Banner looking to get the Hulk home after receiving the message from him during the automatic writing with the hitchhiking panel just a lovely reference to the show

This builds on the revelations of last week and as usual Al Ewing doesn’t waste a page. It’s all deliberate. No padded out narrative boxes or dialogue for the sake of it. Al Ewing is living this book. I want this in hardcover. Marvel have a good thing going here, potential for an evergreen run, providing they let Ewing do this thing and don’t drag it into events or cut it short. Great comics.
I do have one complaint though and it’s the appearance of Danver and the rest of the dickheads is a bit jarring with the rest of the tone. I’ve literally no interest in seeing them in this book but I’ll put my faith in Ewing to put this right

I suppose they had to deal with the continuity at some point but Marvel continuity at this point, m is something best distanced from as far as I’m concerned.

But it’s almost worth it for that last panel. I’d love to own this page.

I/We waxed lyrical on Vision and Moon Knight in the past couple of years, as real success stories at Marvel (although the art played a large part in the latter for me).

This book is operating at a level higher than both of them, it’s that good. Trust me and give this a shot when the first collection hits

I enjoy reading your reviews more than I like reading some comics.

Well, I can’t top that, but here are a few brief thoughts on a few things I’ve read in the last few days:

Wild Storm #15-17 - probably my favourite arc of the book so far, these issues really delve into the whole Team 7/ Gen 13 mythos (that I always loved in the old WSU), and continues to set up the rise of the Authority. I think it’s pretty clear that the big IO vs Skywatcher war is about to go full on, and I suspect will end with The Authority stepping forward to calm shit down. Really fantastic book.

Hit Girl #6-8 - wraps up the Lemire/ Risso/ Mulhival arc. I enjoyed it more than Millar’s, but I think I’m done. It’s a pretty fun story, with some gorgeous art, but it’s ultimately pretty disposable.

Extermination #3 - a fun, exciting issue, as the various factions hunting down the O5 converge and chaos ensues. Brisson is re-assembling the original X-Force here, in advance of the series’ return later in the year; which hits all the right nostalgia buttons. Larraz & Gracia’s artwork is brilliant.

Walk Through Hell #5 - is the end of “book one”, and events take a much more overtly horror tone this issue. However, I have no idea what the heck is going on. Not in a bad way; this is still an excellently written and drawn comic. It’s just taking its own sweet time to unravel all its mysteries. The book resumes in December.

The Dreaming #2 - is a Merv Pumpkinhead issue, and those are always fun. But, I’m a little disappointed. There’s not a whole lot new here. It feels very samey to hundreds of other books that I’ve read beforehand. I really want to love this book, but I’m still waiting for the big twist or hook that will keep me coming back.

WicDiv 1373 - so far, for me, these one-shots have been rather hit or miss. Considering the overall quality of the main comic it is disappointing to say that more have them have been misses.
1373 however is one of the best, if not the best one-shot so far.
Set in France, 1373 at the end of the a period of the plague. The main focus of the story is Lucifer. In this Pantheon she is a nun, with red eyes and stumps of horns on her forehead. It is an interesting character study especially when more of the characters backstory is revealed.
Despite this, the issue actually reveals more about/clarifies a lot about Ananke and her role within the Pantheon. This has an impact on some of the earlier issues, making her decisions much clearer.
It did leave me wondering if I had missed key points and additional information within the earlier one-shots.

I agree on this one. I think the special short and the first issue were very strong but this issue is a little ponderous. I’ll give it some time but I think it needs some more plot and character and less concern over the machinations of the Dreaming.

Kind words, thanks very much for saying that, Will

I’ve been out of pocket a bit this week. So here are my somewhat late reviews.

Adventures of the Super Sons #3 - This continues to be a fun book. I can only assume it was the story that was planned for the original Super Sons book had Bendis not taken over the main books and taken Jon off the table for a bit. As always, I like the chemistry between Jon and Damian. This issue has another wrench thrown into that relationship with the introduction of Superboy Red and Superboy Blue. Admittedly, it’s one of the pieces of the Superman mythos that I’m less enthused about but it’s well used here. I’m curious to see if this series can maintain its momentum for 12 issues with Jon off the board in the regular universe.

Justice League #9 - I’ve always had a soft spot for these one-off Justice League issues that explore the League’s relationships with each other in the midst of a larger story. It always adds nuance to how that particular writer sees the inter-character relationships. I really love this creative team too and am looking forward to the long game on this.

The Magic Order #4 - Love the intro to this issue and how it ties into the history of the Order. This installment also represents my favorite part of a Millarworld story, what I call “The Turn”. It’s the point in the story where the heroes are beat back as far as they’re going to go and start to turn the tide in their direction. With this story it’s Gabriel Moonstone getting back into the magic game. Coipel’s art is pretty fantastic too. Looking forward to the rest of this series and the eventual Netflix film/TV show.

Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion #1 - I’m so glad this book is back and it hasn’t missed a beat. I’ve always loved how these characters felt like they had rich histories beyond their short tenure in print. Way and Ba together hit this sweet spot somewhere between the weirdness of Morrison’s Doom Patrol and the mainstream action of Claremont’s X-Men. Can’t wait for more of this book.

I think this came out in the last week or two, I’d ordered a physical copy, because I really liked the cover.

It was excellent. Really inventive as you can see by the images below. I managed to block out the snippets of feminist whining within which let me enjoy what is a really fun book, loads going on inside and some brilliant artistic choices and page layouts.

I’ve never heard of Kate Niemczyk before, but she’s brilliant. Like a cross between Henry Flint and Phillip Bond, her art really is amazing.

It’s a funny book for the most part, well worth a look. It is similar in a sense to the kinda tone you find in some of the Image books, like Sex Criminals for instance, but Chelsea Cain has made it unique enough to stand apart.

Interested to see how it sells, if it’s alienating part of the potential audience or not. Which would be a shame because it’s a good book. Would be better without the little digs though.
The set up is a near future where young girls hitting the menstuation cycle turn into wild cats and attack the population, so the government has doped the water to stop women menstruating and turning into these creatures.
That’s it as far as story goes, but it’s the how rather than the what that is the strength of the book. Lots of really blatant subtext going on obviously, maybe a bit too heavy handed in that respect but there’s a lot to like.

I’ll dfinitely pick up the next few issues.

First impression was ‘oh god, this is so badly written’ but then after a few pages it dawned on me that Jody Houser was writing in a style of the era the show/comic is set; lots of needless exposition and thought balloons. Pretty clever idea actually.
The art by Stefano Martino reminds me of Georges Jeanty when he started the Buffy season 8 comics, which is a compliment.
You can tell who the characters are but he’s not gone for the photo likeness, which is a good approach.

This series tells the story of the events of season one from Wills perspective. To honest it’s not adding a lot more to what you’ve seen already, but I think fans of Stranger Things would enjoy it.
It bridges the wait until season 3 and it was good spending a bit of time in that world with some new material.

I don’t have time to go into it in detail, but I thought Batman Damned was superb.

Breathtaking looking book but I loved the tone of it in general and the DC supporting cast that Azzerello has opted to use.

The writing style works well with the ominous feel of the story unfolding.

I wish I had the second issue to hand now as it left me wanting more, but there was enough for a good rhythym to build up in that single issue.

Great stuff, it actually makes those magic based and darker characters feel like they should, which has been lost in recent years with a lot of them.

Really enjoyed that.