millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

Catching up with a few comics (part #1):

New Challengers #3 - I’ve really enjoyed this book to date, but was disappointed with this issue. Kubert leaves partway through this issue, and the change in artist is a little jarring. And, the story itself gets a little more complicated than it needs to be. Sticking with it, but less enthused than I was previously.

Immortal Men #5 - the penultimate issue of this book, and you can see them rushing to wrap it up. The stronger storytelling of the last couple of issues is dispensed with for some plot advancement. Which, has never been particularly interesting. Disappointed.

Doomsday Clock #6 - similar to #3 was an info dump of a story, providing backstory to another couple of the new characters in the book. Unlike #3, I actually gave a damn. Possibly my favourite issue to date. Still terribly light on plot advancement, and not at all the bombastic showdown people may have been expecting/ hoping for. But, fantastic art and writing.

Sandman Universe #1 - I’ve been pretty excited about this book for a while, and the titles that are to follow it. Much like the DC Rebirth Special before it, I think this book does a grand job in reminding you why you loved those old school Vertigo books back in the day.

If the four vignettes, I found:

• The Dreaming the most compelling from an art and writing point of view. There was a lot to like here, and I definitely want more.
  • The Books Of Magic was a huge favourite of mine back in the day (the Ney Reiber/ Gross/ Snjejberg run in particular), so this hit my nostalgia buttons, but ultimately came off a bit fan fictiony. I’ll give it an arc or two to see how it develops.
  • House Of Whispers is a hard pass. It’s definitely got the old school Vertigo vibe, but nothing about this interlude appealed to me. It was trying too hard. It has exactly one issue to change my mind.
  • The Mike Carey/ Peter Gross Lucifer run is, to my mind, almost as impressive as Sandman itself. Almost. So, I really want to see how this shapes up. But, the storytelling here was a little opaque and I don’t really understand what’s going on. Another common Vertigo trait from back in the day, so they score bonus points for that, I suppose.

I wonder if it will be possible to only read one or two of these books independently going forwards, or if they will ultimately be too closely intertwined. Only one way to find out, I guess.

I always enjoy your reviews, Vik!

Part #2:

Action Comics #1001 - boy, having four digits in the issue number is going to take a little getting used to! This book looks like it is going to be the Bendis “street level” Superman title, a la New Avengers over at Marvel. Which is a pretty new take on Superman that not many people have worked with before. I like it; but it’s a flavour that may take a while to get used to too. I did really like the interactions between Superman and the common garden variety criminals; Melody Moore is insanely likeable, after just a few pages of screentime; and, the Daily Planet setting is a welcome change of pace.

Patrick Gleason’s artwork seems quite different than it was on his just-concluded run with Tomasi. His Clark Kent here plays up the oafish dorkiness, rather than the cooler father figure of the prior run. His Superman, however, remains a pretty spectacular image. Even more so with the red trunks.

I guess I’m not totally sold on this book, after this debut issue. But, I’m interested to see where it goes from here. Especially with that ending.

Superman #2, on the other hand, continues the Bendis/ Reis run, and I’m loving this. It’s a classic Superman, with a modern twist that perfectly captures the zeitgeist; reinforcing the image of the big guy as a symbol of hope in these darkest of days. Ivan Reis’ artwork is gorgeous too.

Adventures of the Super Sons #1 - I was quite happy to leave this on the shelf, to be honest; it’s a fun book, but I’m not really the audience for this. However, it is my boy’s favourite title. He loved the last run, and this is more of the same (there’s no reason this is a new #1, btw; it could just as easily have been #17 without a single change in story or art).

Got my hands on Superman 100-Page Giant #2, which included The Terrifics #2, and I still think Lemire and Reis are doing excellent work. I realize I’m months behind, but I don’t mind.

It’s that day again. Looks like Justice League #6 and Magic Order #3 for me today.

The Magic Order #3: This is a classic Millar midpoint in all senses of the word. Just enough heart and pathos to get you really charged up for the second half. Really enjoying this series.

The Wild Storm #16: As I’ve stated in the focused thread on this series - while there is a looming hiatus, the series continues unstopped. Perhaps some of JDH’s most striking work yet on the series, which is a high bar. Loving all of the character beats and plot movement we’re getting. It’s amazing.

Yep, this is such a consistently good book. I really enjoyed it again this week. The art was especially impressive in the quiet moments here, although there were a couple of great ‘big’ moments too. (Trying to avoid spoilers.)

Plus, I like where the stuff with Jenny and Angie is going.

Just ask Zora Vukovic.
I just read this. Slott did a great job with Ben and Johnny. The part with Reed and Sue was cool

Dis cover!

Magic Order for now. Tradewaiting on too many things.
(Wild Storm; Leviathan; Brave & Bold Bats & Diana; Sherlock Holmes: The Vanishing Man; Black Magick and probably some I forget.)

The scenes with Cole and Angie were very good as well.

Roxy’s mother is a trip. I like the part where she says " I had a kid. It was weird, you know? like a compulsion." Could the Implants be responsible for GEN 13 or as Gloria calls it, the Thunderbook 13th Genetic stage?

That’s definitely something Grunge’s dad all but stated in the last issue. That it’s all part of the general “up there” agenda. It’s a great twist and does add a great undercurrent to the multitude of reasons for Lynch to take the Gens under his care.

Liam Sharp

August 13 at 2:15 PM ·

Hoping this will appear in the back of the collected edition of The Brave and The Bold, but either way for those interested here are some…

NOTES AND LIBERTIES:

CERNUNNOS (Ker-nu-nuss): Widely worshiped God from the Celtic polytheist tradition of Europe. Cernunnos is a god of fertility – of life, animals, and also of the underworld. Nicolai Tolstoy, in his book ‘The Quest For Merlin’, suggested that it is the image of this horned god of the underworld that later invading Christians adopted as a literal image of the devil. Before this the classic cloven hooves and horns hadn’t existed. This was used to convert early Celts, who were accused of devil-worship.
Cernunnos has also been linked to the character of Conal Cernach from ‘The Táin’, or ‘Cattle Raid’, of Irish mythological tradition.

KING MCCOOL: King Mac Cuill was one of the last three kings of the Tuatha Dé Danann, along with his brothers Mac Cecht and Mac Gréine. However, I opted to keep it simpler with just one remaining king, and took the liberty of merging him with the much more famous Fionn Mac Cumhail, better known as Finn McCool, a mythical hunter and warrior who’s exploits are recounted in the ‘Fenian Cycle’. McCool was a giant, associated with The Giant’s Causeway.

TUATHA DÉ DANANN: The Tribe/People of The Goddess Danu. In popular folklore these people became diminished as Christianity took over, and literally shrank in size, becoming what would be known as faeries, and disappearing into Tir Na Nóg – 'The Land of The Young’ beneath the ground. In my series I decided to retain their stature as giants – the former gods and warriors of ancient Ireland. I liked the idea that reports of their diminished size were really exaggerated by propagandists to a new faith. They would eventually become the template for Tolkein’s Elves in his Middle Earth stories.

THE SILVER ARM: My references and adaptation of this legend are largely based on the version presented by Jim Fitzpatrick in his gloriously illustrated and influential book of the same name.

The art’s great, and there’s been some excellent set pieces, but it’s halfway through the series and I know almost nothing about most of the characters. Maybe it’ll read better for me in trade.

I’ve got about 1 1/2 issue to read (got interrupted during #2 - my eyes are a bit fubar again and I need the eye doc to do some real work, so reading is - for the second time in my life - slow and requiring attention), I get your point about knowing the characters, but it took forever to get to know and sort the huge Jupiter’s cast. Knowing how Mark writes (usually in six-issue sets, with a huge bit of edema in the double-sized finale) those character expositions usually work to reveal a deeper level of plot. Patience!

batman 53 caps off 3 pretty special issues of Batman

It’s not often that you see this degree of originality in a comic that has been running for over 75 years and thousands of issues

This 3 parter started off really well, kept it up and then stuck the landing.

When Lee Weeks and Tom King unite something great happens. They are a modern day dynamic creative duo. I hope they have something else planned together soon.

This was so well written and delivered emotion in a very adult and subtle manner, but I’m sure Weeks elevates it to another level again - this is some seriously amazing art and storytelling. The whole thing was paced really well and I have to say I loved that last page and where this looks to be heading next.

Sophisticated stuff.

By Night 3

John Allison is making me want to dig thru my Comixology and find my Giant Days volume 1 pronto. He is one funny writer, his dialogue really is sharp, witty and a lot of fun to read. It’s been a day of amusing songs with watching Titans Go and the Feret song in this book.

Christine Larson’s art gets better with every issue. I felt that although her art was a little bit rough in some places in the first issue, her comic delivery was spot on and her storytelling, layouts and general panel choices were great. Now she’s tightening up her actual drawing ability and I think there’s going to be a bright future ahead for her, at lest in books of this nature - I loved the last two issues covers as well and although this one isn’t as striking an image, it still caught my eye and made me want to go back and look at it a few times as I was reading through and again after I finished the book - it’s such an unusual choice for a cover layout that I think it might actually be genius - more so after having read the issue.
Larson’s style is so simplistic that I think it’s actually really deceptive - there’s a lot of story telling and characterisation going on in the art itself without any exposition required - like the way Heather’s dad visibly intimidates her friend before it is acknowledged verbally.

I’ve really enjoyed this little series, I think I’m going to pick up the collection.

Terminator: Sector War does a good job of capturing the feel of the original movie. Set in the same time period that the t-800 was sent back to eliminate Sarah Connor, there’s a parallel storyline.
While there’s nothing startling or new going on here, it is an effective licensed book and Brian Woods does a good job in creating the right atmosphere, he also did a really good job on his recent creepy Alien Defiance series, so seems a good fit for these types of books.
The manga style art is a little bit inconsistent in places but does remind me a little of a less polished James Stokoe in places, which is no bad thing - although it looks like the artist is still learning and has a few hundred more pages to get thru before he hits the right level. There’s plenty of promise here though and I can live with this as long as the storytelling is good, which it is.

Did anyone pick up the new Jinxworld book by Bendis and Gaydos?

As a fan of Alias and their Jessica Jones I’m interested, but I have to admit the preview didn’t really grab me.

That’s a great cover for an issue of Kabuki

I considered it but have a trust deficit at the moment with his creator owned work. If it gets good reviews I’ll pick up the collection.