millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

I haven’t read LOEG: Tempest #1 in full yet, but any comic that can cover variant James Bonds and find space to include Woody Allen, Austin Powers and Finn McMissile has got my seal of approval.

AP%26FMcM

League of Evil James Bonds is the funniest idea that mainline LOEG has had in ages.
I know that people find the reference/use of the character as superficial and trite…but it’s so backwards that I can’t help but find it hilarious. Similarly to the Anti-Christ in Century. It’s so insane that it works.

I got “She Could Fly,” mostly because I try to support Berger’s line, and it’s written by Christopher Cantwell, a co-showrunner of “Halt and Catch Fire” which I thought was one of the better shows of the last few years. It’s OK. I would have liked to have seen it with a more seasoned artist, but then, Cantwell clearly is a beginner with the form too.

I might look for the trade later, and see how the whole story reads as a whole. The concept is interesting for sure.

I looked at that one thought the concept sounded interesting. Might check out it out down the line if it gets good reviews.

Superman #1 - I was really impressed how well deftly Bendis juggled so many things and did them well. In the span of a single opening issue, Superman fights off a Dominator invasion, reminisces about his son and wife who he misses, builds a new Fortress of Solitude, does some reporter work, talks with Martian Manhunter about philosophical issue around their origins and purpose (while handling other conflicts inbetween) and ends up with all of Earth stuck in the Phantom Zone. Decompressed this story is not. I don’t want this to sound like a backhanded compliment but I am typically not a huge fan of Bendis’ use of double page spreads or Ivan Reis’s art but they both works so well here even in digital. This issue has put a lot of my fears to rest with this series and I’m pretty pumped for what’s coming.

Preliminary Annotations to LOEG: The Tempest #1 are up.
http://www.jessnevins.com/annotations/tempestannotations.html

Amusingly they mistakenly identify Flint McMissile as the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car.

Finn McMissile!

Really?
Man, I been going around for years saying the former.

Yep.

I’ve watched it too many times. :disappointed_relieved:

RIP, Bruce Campbell.

Am I missing something? Bruce Campbell is still alive.

It’s a reference to the spoiler haha.

Ahhh. OK.

I do wonder whether O’Neill is responsible for some of the book’s references as much as Moore.

I somehow can’t imagine Moore sitting down and watching Cars 2.

Given that the reference shares space with Austin Powers, he could have just googled “popular parodies” of the genre and just stuck them in there.

He’s admitted to doing as much when writing 2009, for instance - with its references to The Sopranos, Lost, Entourage, and Burn Notice.

Yeah, Jess Nevins says in this interview that a lot of the references are from O’Neill:

http://techland.time.com/2009/03/13/interview-11-questions-for-jess-nevins-mighty-comics-annotator/

Otherwise, it’s just pure research. I look at every panel to see if there’s a proper name mentioned, or someone or something referred to, or something shown in the panel (because Kevin O’Neill is responsible for a large number of references in League). And when I find something, I begin trying to identify it. Online research is the easiest, but I have a sizable personal library of reference books, and I have access to a wide range of databases I can use, and of course the books in the library in which I work. And as a librarian, I’m good at this kind of research–it’s what I do for a living.

Christopher Sebela has taken the quantity over quality approach so far in his career and this series continues to follow that path.

I’m going to guess he’s from Portland and has done a bit of research on Wikipedia about Portland’s history and Shanghai Red is the ‘story’ he’s come up with.
Contrived, weighed down by exposition, riddled with cliches and generally a bit rudderles. I can see what he’s trying to do here, but I’ve seen it all before, done better.

There’s a ‘twist’ in here that you’ve probably seen about 2 dozen times jack is really a woman gasp. It helps if you’ve built up some audience interest first.

He’s tried hard to go for character development but it falls flat.

Image’s throw everything at the wall to see what sticks strategy means there’s a lot of books like this to get through to find the gems.

Pass.

Good concept but I could do without the millennial angst in comic book form that goes with it. The opening half of the first issue is an unbearable reflection of the young narcissists who put me off social media.
The second half is incredibly predictable.
The story is not told in a very entertaining manner and the dialogue is limp, so i’m afraid I’m out on The Lost City Explorers unless it generates some serious heat in the future.

I was sold on By Night # 1 by this amazing cover which I adore;

It’s so effective. I love the title design and the background of stars and the swirling window which reveals an image in behind it. It actually gives a real good account of the pages inside.

The artist, Christine Larson, who also did the cover, seems to be a real talent in the making. Her art is raw in terms of aesthetic ability, but she
has bags of creativity and ideas plus her technical ability with the layouts, camera angles and composition is great.
Once she tightens her style up she could be brilliant. The body language and facial expressions she’s pulled off for the main 2 characters makes them so endearing.
I love the panel she has created on the first page, framing the contents with the fingers of one the characters looking through the box he has created with his hands as he narrates a mock documentary.

It’s the perfect opening page to a new comic, right away capturing reader interest with a sense that they are in for some fun.
Not sure whose idea it is but it’s great opening page, none the less.

This is written by John Allison, who has already generated some buzz with his Giant Days series.
The dialogue is brilliant, plenty of good jokes and witty banter between the characters, making them a fun group to spend time with.

So contrary to the last review, this book is based on a bunch of millenials who don’t take themselves too seriously and I feel John Allison has something to say about the human condition that I can relate to or at least makes me think - the mark of a good writer, who can tell a story but also educate or philosophise. One of the main reasons I like Rick Remender so much, his books offer a catalyst and opportunity for self reflection.

As good a first issue as I’ve read this year. I fear the art is little too dodgy aesthetically for it to really kick off, but if this picks up word of mouth and the audience is willing to overlook that then this could do well.

It just needs a find a way of getting noticed in the tons of other books being published today.
The industry could do with a downturn to cull the number of wannabe creators, because it can’t be doing anyone much good with there being so many creators, comics and publishers out there just now, all competing and making it hard to stand out.

Enjoyed this so much that I’ve ordered a paper copy of it.

Man of Steel #6 - was a weird, slightly schizophrenic book. The emotional beats hit home hard. The action scenes were pretty dull in comparison. Jason Fabok’s an awesome artist, but he was the wrong artist for this issue. His talking heads scenes are dull and lifeless.

Now that it’s all said and done, I really wish I had just skipped this mini, because it didn’t really work for me. It has its moments, but felt rushed and disjointed. Too much of a scene setter and not enough of a story in its own right.

Superman #1 - this, however, was very, very good. As Ronnie mentioned above, a lot happened in this issue, unusually so for a Bendis book. The artwork by Ivan Reis was gorgeous too; I’ve never been his biggest fan beforehand, but it really suits Big Blue. There are some pretty spectacular images in this book.

I also really liked the format of this book. A nice, heavy, glossy cover, with a slightly duller, more matt paperstock inside. It really gave the book a classic vibe, and worked well with Reis’ artwork.

Now that Bendis has taken him off the board, it was slightly bittersweet reading Super Sons #13-16. The final two story arcs of the book, by Pete Tomasi and new artist Carlo Barberi. The first two parter was the better by far, with the boys tangling with Damien’s mother. Super cute. The second story picked up on dangling plot threads from earlier in the book, but seemed to struggle to contain everything in just two issues; feeling rushed and anti-climatic.

Justice League #3 was a great comic, as things take a decidedly dark turn. There’s a splash page towards the end of the book that works really well, and is creepy as fuck. Rapidly becoming my favourite superhero book.

There are a handful of things that Geoff Johns has done in the past that have pissed me off. I mean really narked me. The Flash #50 finally fixed one of those - yay! The rest of the book, however, was a bit disappointing as Wally West gets shafted, all to set up Tom King’s new book. Gorgeous artwork by Howard Porter though.

Immortal Men #4 continues to be the best X-Men book on the stands. Tyler Kirkham takes over on art for the next few issues, as Tynion reveals more about the secret history of the title characters.

Michael Cray #9 - the alternate Hellblazer / Wonder Woman arc continues, as Christine Trelane makes her opening moves to reclaim her property, and the voice inside Michael’s head plans nasty things for the future. This is the best written John Constantine I’ve seen since the end of his Vertigo book.

Black Science #37 was the penultimate part of the book’s penultimate story arc. The reconciled Grant and Sara McKay vs the universe for the fate of their children? The universe is fucked.