millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

Not sure what this means but I honestly think their Superman run was incredibly underrated. It may have been the most I’ve ever enjoyed the book.

Two of the quietest people in the industry. I was utilizing hyperbole. Gleason barely has a Wikipedia entry, and Tomasi’s is about a 2011 'con appearance. Not exactly public figures! Their run on Batman & Robin was fantastic, and had they been able to take a creative lead instead of fitting into all the continuity gobbledegook might have been even better. Scott and Greg were doing “Court of Owls” and B&R was going on, some of the best Bat-stories ever.

That was one of the strong suits of their Superman run. They just did solid stories with some great stand alone issues.

Superman #7, where they spend time as a family at the town carnival and Clark promises not to be Superman for the evening, is the issue that hit home for me the most of their run. As a father it meant a lot to me.

Agreed. That was an amazing issue that honestly didn’t have a whole lot of action. It was what really cemented the family aspect of the book.

Did I miss something with Lex Luthor in the current continuity? I picked up Justice League 1- 3 and was surprised to see Lex acting like a straight-up maniacal villain again, after Dan Jurgens spent so much time in Action Comics making him seem like he might be a “good guy” (or, at least walking the line between good and bad). Did I miss his heel turn in another book or was this out of nowhere?

I agree. SuperLex was one of my favorite parts of Rebirth. I think part of this turn was in No Justice. I’m not sure it was that obvious though.

Hmm. I was assuming we’d see him “break bad” eventually but I was hoping it would be a slow burn that took its time to play out. Kind of a shame to see it rushed to the point that it essentially happened off panel!!

You may be correct here but I am not so sure. I do see it from their perspective if they stick to the current path. Marriage has a tendency to permanently alter characters, and once Batman and Catwoman are married in canon it will be hard to ever fully put that genie back in the bottle. You can still have a “happy Batman” without it too. So who knows.

Yeah, you may well be right (and I haven’t read nearly enough of King’s run to have an informed opinion on it, just a few issues here and there).

Finally got caught up on Black Hammer: Age of Doom with issue #3.

This issue is a lot of fun. The overarching story about the group of heroes doesn’t advance that much, but that doesn’t matter when Lemire and Ormston are enjoying themselves so much riffing on comics characters of the past - in this case, Gaiman’s Sandman.

There’s also some funny business in the ‘real’ world that plays out over the course of the issue, and leads up to a closing revelation of sorts.

But it’s the Sandman stuff that made me laugh the most - paying sincere homage to that series while also puncturing its pomposity a little bit.

Did anyone try the new Quantum Age series yet?

I enjoyed this, but I feel like the pacing got away from Miller slightly on this one (which is rare). Too much time spent on big, bold, ‘silent’ images and not enough on the panel-to-panel story. It may read better when collected.

Still good though, and features two examples of highly entertaining swearing.

Reposted from the dedicated thread:

Red Rocket Comet

I feel like I should preface my comments on this one by saying that I don’t believe in giving false praise to things that don’t deserve it, even to friends; as much as white lies can be a kindness, I think constructive criticism is more honest and helpful than a gushing review that isn’t warranted.

So hopefully @mattgarvey1981 will take me at my word when I say that this comic absolutely blew me away. I think it’s genuine next-level stuff for him that marks a big step up for him as a writer.

There’s a real maturity and restraint to the writing that works perfectly to sell the subject matter and the story. Everything about it worked for me.

The darkness and seriousness feels earned; the twists and turns keep you one step ahead of the reader at all times; the flashback structure and use of two (highly contrasting) artists works brilliantly; and there’s a universal quality to the themes of the story that really makes it hit home, and gave me a lot to think about afterwards.

The artists themselves deserve a huge amount of praise in their own right - the present-day sections are incredibly rich and atmospheric, with a suitably unsettling quality to them; and the flashbacks have a beautifully slick retro feel that works really well to create the necessary feel, especially towards the end of that segment. And the cover sells the whole thing perfectly.

Finally, the production values on this book mark it out as a really professional, high-quality piece of work. I’ll admit to being a bit surprised by the higher price point for this comic when I saw it on the website, but as soon as it arrived I could see it was justified - the glossy, heavy-stock cover and the spine make a big difference in marking this out as a ‘prestige format’ book, and the quality of the material does the format justice.

It’s no exaggeration to say this is Matt’s best comic yet, in pretty much all respects. (And to put it in a bit of perspective - two comics came through my door this week, this one and a goddamn Frank Miller book, and Red Rocket Comet was the better of the two.) A massive well done to the whole team on this.

Thanks for the reminder, Dave. I should post mine too. I’m in the same boat as I don’t like giving false praise but this was seriously good stuff. I still want more Chunks though. :wink:

Red Rocket Comet - I enjoyed how this story slowly unfolds through scenes in the present day and the past. The meticulous, photo referenced discussion between what looks like Gary Sinise and Max von Sydow (knew he looked familiar but had to look it up) grew in intensity as the story developed. In contrast, the flashbacks seemed to be a more innocent Golden Age comic book style. The real magic happens when the two stories start to converge. @mattgarvey1981 once again masterfully weaves this tale together that drips information to the reader to its ultimate surprise finale. Highly recommended.

Picked it up today. Ask me again in an hour :wink:

I’m really enjoying Marvel Rising, but it’s been terribly marketed.

It’s a Ms. Marvel/Squirrel Girl crossover mini-series, but rather than have it be #1-6, they’ve gone:

Marvel Rising #0 (FCBD issue) - 10 pages written by Devin Grayson
Marvel Rising Alpha #1 - 30 pages by Devin Grayson
Marvel Rising: Squirrel Girl/Ms. Marvel #1 - 40 pages, 20 by North and Grayson, 20 by Wilson and Grayson
Marvel Rising: Ms. Marvel/Squirrel Girl #1 - 40 pages, 20 by North and Grayson, 20 by Wilson and Grayson
Marvel Rising Omega #1 - 30 pages by Devin Grayson

I’ve no idea how they expect people to follow that; Comixology doesn’t even have them all as one series.

The Squirrel Girl/Ms. Marvel issue came out this week, and is basically just an issue of Squirrel Girl and an issue of Ms. Marvel. The Squirrel Girl half even has North’s footnotes. It’s really good, but the other Marvel Rising characters, like Inferno, feel a bit shoehorned in.

Did you try the new Quantum Age series yet? :slight_smile:

You waited 2 hours, David is old and forgot what happened in it already. :smile:

Read man of steel 5 & 6

Really enjoyed this series and I look forward to what Bendis has planned, hopefully for an epic run.
Adam Hughes should stick to covers though. Issue 5 was the weakest of the series by far and it was down to his poor storytelling and overly sparse drawing. Really poor actually, disrupting the flow of the whole mini series.

Thankfully, with Fabok on issue 6 they finished it on a high note.

I loved how Bendis has done his reading and research, tying this into the Super Sons series and events of the Teen Titans amoungst other recent events.

I also enjoyed how Bendis has set up numerous strands and I hope we get to see

what Jon and Lois get up to on their travels in addition supergirl’s investigations.
Bendis has done a superb job of bringing the attention back to Superman, whilst respecting some of the excellent work that Jurgens, Thomasi and Gleason have done since the beginning of Rebirth.

This all reads like classic stuff. It’s clear Bendis loves the character and Is a fan who has followed superman over the years. He writes in a complimentary fashion building on the foundations laid over the years.

It was a great little mini series and a perfect launchpad for Action 1001 and Superman 1 - I’ve gotten over my disappointment at the Jurgens and Thomasi runs ending already.

Don’t worry I’m going to leap back 2 hours into my personal timeline and read it now … oh wait, that’s Quantum Leap :confused: