millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

I like that it’s so different to 300. That series was a smaller story, more personal in its way; this one is clearly going for a big, broad, epic historical sweep.

It’s working for me so far.

Same. It feel much more mythic. 300 was smaller, more mythic, but I feel like it was best used by Miller as the allegorical bookend to The Big Fat Kill rather than a dedicated miniseries. Felt like it was fluffed.

This is both exciting, entertaining, and gosh aspects of this issue and Xerxes himself got to me.
L’chaim!

Wally, Kyle, Tim, Connor, Cassandra, Linda, Jack … for more than a decade those were the names that defined the DCU for me. Some of them never left, although their current incarnations resemble the characters I loved not at all. Others are still MIA, and I miss them tremendously. Thankfully, a couple made it back, and it’s no coincidence that their return brought back a lot of my affection for that particular fictional universe.

Flash Annual #1 and Flash #46-48 are the opening salvos in the ominously titled “Flash War” storyline, where Barry and classic Wally go head to head, in a story that promises to show us who is the greatest Flash of all time. Well, considering this is Barry’s book, I think it’s a foregone conclusion how that’s going to turn out, but as the next significant chapter in Wally West’s life I had to check this out.

Much like Detective Comics before it, this book goes straight for the heart. It pulls no punches in shamelessly playing with your emotions, whilst at the same time setting up a plausible reason for these two characters to come to blows. It’s either clever timing or wonderful serendipity that #48 came out the week of Father’s Day. I know, in my head, that Barry’s going to win this, but in my heart I’m rooting for Wally. All the way.

Joshua Williamson is certainly an adept writer, but like many other not-quite-A-Listers he’s doesn’t quite manage to get you in the heads of his characters. He benefits here, however, from some beautiful Howard Porter artwork; whose work has perhaps never looked better.

I don’t think I’m going to be reading this book long term, nor will I be seeking out the back issues in a hurry, but for the time being this book has got me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next.

Plastic Man #1 by Simone and co.

To tell the truth, I’ve never been Plastic Man fan. In actuality, I read only a very few comics where this guy appears, each time in very minor role.
And Gail didn’t made me love the guy. The plot is convoluted, Gail tries to be funny, but in 80s style and top of that, there is something uncanny, awkward about a female spy staring at naked, but muscular PM, a scene almost taken from a average erotic novel.

That’s almost my exact takeaway from this arc. I’m enjoying it enough to keep reading it to the end, but it’s ultimately forgettable.

Amazing Spider-Man is the cover winner for me. Doctor Strange is good too.

I like the one with the sticker on it.

But seriously: one of my favourites of this week isn’t in the photos.

(Although is it me, or have they buggered up the numbering tag at the top by forgetting to move it to #14?)

Should definitely be #14.

I have reservations about Davis-Hunt’s artwork, but on the whole his covers are amazing. Some of my favourites on the stands today. The Zealot cover from the last arc (#10, was it?) was my cover of the year.

Looks like another week of great books.

Justice League #2
Man of Steel #4
Wild Storm #14
Hit-Girl #5

The Wild Storm #14 - Another awesome issue. Great action and Ellis’ work on John Lynch has been incredibly engaging. This issue sets up Gen-13 flawlessly, and I hope Ellis is able to write that himself. The handling of it so far, under his pen, has been gripping and I wish to see it continue.

I love the Dr Strange cover and the simplicity of the Man of Steel cover.

Speaking of which,

I’ve just got round to Man of Steel # 1 I’ve been waiting to read it with a cup of something hot or a glass of something cold, with peace and quiet to savour it.

I’ve read a bunch of stuff this week that left me a bit cold and wondering if I was just too tired or in too much of an ‘off’ mood for comics.

I’m working from home today and havnt had a break.
So, I went away and made myself a cup of tea and dug out something that I have been really looking forward to reading rather than just going to the oldest in my digital unread pile.

This has been something I’ve been quite excited about since it was announced.
Bendis is one of those guys who has been a bit unfairly maligned because some of his mediocre work seems to overshadowed a lot of the great stuff he has written. There was also a train of thought that he’s ‘lost it’.
Whilst it’s true he has not hit the same heights in recent years as he did in the previous decade, his recent work on Iron Man, and from what others have said, The Defenders, has been really strong.

I think though, from his detractors to his fans, we are are all in agreement that this move to DC would be hugely beneficial for him, if nothing else to freshen things up.

It appears this move will also be hugely beneficial to DC and comics in general.

This was a wonderful first issue. As far as superhero comics go, I’d say it was pretty much flawless.
He’s given new antagonist Rogal Zaar a grievance to be worthy of, in a brilliant opening monalogue - and in a few pages given the book an epic feel. Such an effective way to open the book before very quickly narrowing the scope and taking us to Metropolis, adding a few new mysteries, both large (Lois & Jon) and small (arson), a bit of humour, introducing a new character in Melody Moore who I hope to see more off because she is hot as shit, and left us with a massive cliffhanger as what was earlier inferred to is confirmed.

Moreover it was just so well written, easy to follow and fun that it left me immediately wanting to read the next issue.

This was all of course wonderfully realised by Ivan Reis, who I do wish was doing the next 3 issues, given how successful this pairing was for the opening instalment.

I’m hoping for more of the same.

It’s great to hear so much positivity about Bendis on Superman. At this point I think I’m going to wait for the collection on Man Of Steel, but it’s on the strength of the good feedback for these first few singles.

I’ve read issue 2 of man of steel now and I’m so pleased that it seems has continued in the same rich vein of form and momentum that it started with.

The artist change isn’t as jarring as I thought, quite possibly because rather than being fill-in it’s another couple of tremendous talents with who have taken the baton for this issue, although Rude’s art does get a bit too stylistic at times, which isn’t really called for, as much as I rate him.

I love the flashbacks to Kyrpton and Appa Ali Apsa and Bendis “ugly secrets” scene transition between then and now is a masterful use of that technique.
In fact the dialogue is just outright excellent the whole way through. He does it so well here you dont even realise how quickly he is building characters, through dialogue & banter alone.

Even the Green Lantern cameo is fun, in a day and age where these things are so common place they normally induce glazing of the eyes.

The biggest compliment I can pay this is that I have a huge pile of comics to catch up on and the one I want to read the most is the next issue of Man of Steel.

Wild Storm was good again this week. Some great standalone scenes, and a bit more forward movement in the overall plot. I think this is going to be something special once it’s all done.

My favourite bit might have been this League Of Gentlemen reference, though.

Onto Man of Steel # 3 and 4 and the momentum very much keeps up, building to some serious action in issue 4 that has some of the greatest intensity I’ve seen in comics for ages.

Action pretty much bores me 90% of the time, but this felt high stakes. The moment that Rogal just swipes Supergirl away like swat a fly is brutal it works so well and is depicted so effectively by Maguire that it’s like watching moving pictures.

I’m not sure who to attribute the instensity of this issue to, but I’m going to say both. It’s layed out and paced effectively but also playing the dialogue from the scene with Jon and Lois over the top actually had me feeling anxious while reading it.

Then just as it’s about to peak, Bendis brings the tempo back down again, like a good DJ, playing with the crowd in the palm of his hand.

He’s pulling out all the stops here. If he lands this perfectly in the next 2 issues this is going to be a superb mini series.

If I wasn’t going to my bed now I’d take some time to talk about how and why batman: prelude to the wedding: robin vs ra’s al ghul is so good

A timely reminder of how good and inventive a writer Tim Seeley can be

I kinda want a miniseries/OGN of Alexis Fairchild as Rambo circa First Blood

Batman was really excellent this week. The whole thing was just a conversation between Catwoman and the Joker but it was lively, insightful, and funny. I’d even say one of the best issues of King’s run.

Man of Steel was also quite excellent. I’m always up for Maguire art, and creative ways to depict Superman fighting an equal foe. It definitely feels like Bendis has a new lease on life here—the one thing I’ve noticed about this series is Bendis has dropped some of his bad habits from the last 5-10 years at Marvel. The circular dialogue, the filler pages, the falling back on favorite characters. He hasn’t written this economic in quite some time.

The last thing I got was the Spongebob summer swimtacular issue. As always, a Spongebob week is the cover of the week.

23%20AM

The first story in this issue was drawn by Jerry Ordway. It’s not the first time he’s done work on the title, but it’s fairly rare. Go get that Spongebob money, Jerry!

ASM is a nice concept, but Harley Quinn is the most interesting here. Another weak week for covers, though.